What Does The Bible Say About Being Gay?

isanbirder

I'd say it depends on what religion you belong to. Roman Catholics might have a different view than protestants. Please see:

Question: "What does the Bible say about gay marriage / same sex marriage?"

Answer:
While the Bible does address homosexuality, it does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage. It is clear, however, that the Bible condemns homosexuality as an immoral and unnatural sin.Leviticus 18:22identifies homosexual sex as an abomination, a detestable sin.Romans 1:26-27declares homosexual desires and actions to be shameful, unnatural, lustful, and indecent.First Corinthians 6:9states that homosexuals are unrighteous and will not inherit the kingdom of God. Since both homosexual desires and actions are condemned in the Bible, it is clear that homosexuals “marrying” is not God’s will, and would be, in fact, sinful.

Whenever the Bible mentions marriage, it is between a male and a female. The first mention of marriage,Genesis 2:24, describes it as a man leaving his parents and being united to his wife. In passages that contain instructions regarding marriage, such as1 Corinthians 7:2-16andEphesians 5:23-33, the Bible clearly identifies marriage as being between a man and a woman. Biblically speaking, marriage is the lifetime union of a man and a woman, primarily for the purpose of building a family and providing a stable environment for that family.

The Bible alone, however, does not have to be used to demonstrate this understanding of marriage. The biblical viewpoint of marriage has been the universal understanding of marriage in every human civilization in world history. History argues against gay marriage. Modern secular psychology recognizes that men and women are psychologically and emotionally designed to complement one another. In regard to the family, psychologists contend that a union between a man and woman in which both spouses serve as good gender role models is the best environment in which to raise well-adjusted children. Psychology argues against gay marriage. In nature/physicality, clearly, men and women were designed to “fit” together sexually. With the “natural” purpose of sexual intercourse being procreation, clearly only a sexual relationship between a man and a woman can fulfill this purpose. Nature argues against gay marriage.

So, if the Bible, history, psychology, and nature all argue for marriage being between a man and a woman—why is there such a controversy today? Why are those who are opposed to gay marriage/same-sex marriage labeled as hateful, intolerant bigots, no matter how respectfully the opposition is presented? Why is the gay rights movement so aggressively pushing for gay marriage/same-sex marriage when most people, religious and non-religious, are supportive of—or at least far less opposed to—gay couples having all the same legal rights as married couples with some form of civil union?

The answer, according to the Bible, is that everyone inherently knows that homosexuality is immoral and unnatural, and the only way to suppress this inherent knowledge is by normalizing homosexuality and attacking any and all opposition to it. The best way to normalize homosexuality is by placing gay marriage/same-sex marriage on an equal plane with traditional opposite-gender marriage.Romans 1:18-32illustrates this. The truth is known because God has made it plain. The truth is rejected and replaced with a lie. The lie is then promoted and the truth suppressed and attacked. The vehemence and anger expressed by many in the gay rights movement to any who oppose them is, in fact, an indication that they know their position is indefensible. Trying to overcome a weak position by raising your voice is the oldest trick in the debating book. There is perhaps no more accurate description of the modern gay rights agenda thanRomans 1:31, “they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.”

To give sanction to gay marriage/same-sex marriage would be to give approval to the homosexual lifestyle, which the Bible clearly and consistently condemns as sinful. Christians should stand firmly against the idea of gay marriage/same-sex marriage. Further, there are strong and logical arguments against gay marriage/same-sex marriage from contexts completely separated from the Bible. One does not have to be an evangelical Christian to recognize that marriage is between a man and a woman.

According to the Bible, marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24;Matthew 19:4-6). Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage. As Christians, we are not to condone or ignore sin. Rather, we are to share the love of God and the forgiveness of sins that is available to all, including homosexuals, through Jesus Christ. We are to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15) and contend for truth with “gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15). As Christians, when we make a stand for truth and the result is personal attacks, insults, and persecution, we should remember the words of Jesus: “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you” (John 15:18-19).

Recommended Resources:Logos Bible SoftwareandThe Truth About Same-Sex Marriage: 6 Things You Must Know About What's Really at Stake by Erwin Lutzer.

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/gay-marriage.html#ixzz2PDkFATAe

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sirchai: I think allowing this topic in this forum was asking for such anti-gay drivel you just posted.

I for one don't care what your holy book says: If it is against gay people, it needs to be thrown away. Because it is way out of date. Today, people don't need to be scared of gays any more, they have understood that it is about equality, acceptance and "love thy neighbour" (yes, I used a term from your bible just to show how wrong you are).

I think I mentioned it before: If the Christian god is against homosexuality, why did he make us gay? If you believe in him, ask yourself: What kind of sick god-person is he? Makes you gay, and then punishes you for being gay, hahaha.

As a matter of fact, I have had many discussions about the Bible and homosexuality. In most cases, the Bible lost, as it does not support even tolerance. There are some organisations ("Gay Catholics") that believe otherwise, but they didn't convince me. I don't think you can support the Christian churches if you are gay, or are otherwise serious about gay liberation.

Sirchai: I think allowing this topic in this forum was asking for such anti-gay drivel you just posted.

I for one don't care what your holy book says: If it is against gay people, it needs to be thrown away. Because it is way out of date. Today, people don't need to be scared of gays any more, they have understood that it is about equality, acceptance and "love thy neighbour" (yes, I used a term from your bible just to show how wrong you are).

I think I mentioned it before: If the Christian god is against homosexuality, why did he make us gay? If you believe in him, ask yourself: What kind of sick god-person is he? Makes you gay, and then punishes you for being gay, hahaha.

As a matter of fact, I have had many discussions about the Bible and homosexuality. In most cases, the Bible lost, as it does not support even tolerance. There are some organisations ("Gay Catholics") that believe otherwise, but they didn't convince me. I don't think you can support the Christian churches if you are gay, or are otherwise serious about gay liberation.

The topic is not what you think, onthemoon, or what sirchai thinks, or even what I think; it's simply about what the Bible says. This was stated clearly in the link to the original post.

Of course people on all sides of the question have taken the opportunity to give their personal views; I expected this. But it is not relevant to the topic.

The topic is not what you think, onthemoon, or what sirchai thinks, or even what I think; it's simply about what the Bible says. This was stated clearly in the link to the original post.

Of course people on all sides of the question have taken the opportunity to give their personal views; I expected this. But it is not relevant to the topic.

I understand the Bible as a book open to interpretation. So did Martin Luther and many others. But that's OK.

I am curious to learn what you think it says, i.e. what your personal interpretation is.

Does it really- I mean really matter what anybody says about being gay. Especially if they are not in anyway competent to talk about such topic?

It matters, as Christianity is a major religion, with (I think) 1.2 billion followers.

And yes, I do think I am qualified to talk about gay issues.

I understand the Bible as a book open to interpretation. So did Martin Luther and many others. But that's OK.

I am curious to learn what you think it says, i.e. what your personal interpretation is.

There are basically two groups of sayings about homosexuality in the Bible. There are obsolete Jewish laws from Leviticus (either you follow the lot, or you junk the lot), and there are Pauline sayings, some of which are from Romans, which may not be by St Paul. St Paul was a man of his time, and like his contemporaries, thought that gay sex was an aberration. I suspect he also thought that the world was flat, and the earth was the centre of the universe.... as the vast majority of his contemporaries did.

If we now recognise, as I do, that homosexuality is a natural minority group (like lefthanders and redheads), we have to reconsider what Paul said. This the Church has so far refused to do, but I am confident it will get there in the end! In my opinion, homosexuality is not a moral issue; it is a question of science.

Personally, I dislike use of the word marriage for a homosexual partnership, but I'm realistic enough to realise that that is the word which will be in common usage for all the various civil unions, civil partnerships and whatever.

• Like 1

My two satang on the original topic of "What Does The Bible Say About Being Gay?" is this: nothing. People who wrote the words down after generations of storytelling did.

Anyone who's played "Telephone" and sat in a circle relaying something around by whispering in your neighbor's ear knows how twisted things become.

Not being one who buys the whole "God himself guided this man's hand to write this" nonsense I can only accept that anything found in any religious text - while more than likely well intended at the time - is just the opinion/current morals of a group, or, worse yet, that of one person.

For all any of us know Rodney King may have been the messiah returned when he said "Can't we all just get along?", which really is the whole thing boiled down to a simple syrup.

If you believe something to be true and it gives you comfort without butting into the beliefs of others, I say go for it. As long as you don't do it in the streets and scare the horses, who cares? There are MANY religious practices I disagree with, but if there's one thing I do believe about a "god" it's that I'm not them.