Tourist Police Commander Targets Phuket Jet-Ski Rip-Offs

george

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it took the Chinese for action to be taken. THAT is worth noting. thumbsup.gif

What action was taken ?

Theystrolled along the beach with leaflets-------is that not enough--------after all as the man said----they[the jet ski operators] are doing a good job for tourists. I,m sorry but I am nearly peeing myself as I write this----Dougal the[peeing] Kiwi

So it took the Chinese for action to be taken. THAT is worth noting. thumbsup.gif

I wouldn't exactly call having the tourist police buy their line hook line and sinker and then

"Gen Roy and his team of officers then continued their tour of Patong

Beach, handing out tourist information leaflets as they strolled along

the sand."

first off where were the real police and secondly it is almost impossable to not have a ligtament claim by the operators. Why did they look at an obvious ligtament one and no others.

Who paid for them to go to Patong and stroll the beach and how many men did it take to ask what happened then reply I see and then stroll down the beach.

• Like 1

And what about all the previous reports of people being Scammed and Threatened if they did not pay up ?? ( What did the BIB say about them ?????

3 Quotes, and tell me they are not in Cahoot's with each other, it is Thailand and they do stick together, best advise that could be given by Embassies and Overseas Tour operators is BOYCOTT ALL JET SKI OPERATORS. that way they will soon get their acts together and STOP ripping tourists off.

What action are you referring to?

<edit> oops just noticed that this question was asked many times alreadyw00t.gif

Edited by ikbenhet

I don't understand why people keep renting them, after all this problems....

After everything I've read and heard, I would never hire a jetski

Maybe it's not only the Thais who are stupid.

I agree that I wouldn't rent one either. Presumably the tourists aren't aware of the problem though? At least until its too late.

Edited by delh

“We instruct every tourist how to ride a jet-ski, what to do if an accident occurs, and what insurance coverage there is. Every time the tourist must sign the rental agreement to accept that they understand the conditions,” he said.

So please tell me which of the Thai jet ski mafia spoke mandarin to the Chinese to ensure they knew how to ride it and what to do if an accident occurs?

Was the rental agreement they signed explained to them in mandarin?

I've rented jet skis all over the world. Okinawa...Miami...Fort Lauderdale... Waikiki...Barcelona and NEVER saw a crash...a tourist rip off or tourists roughed up and threatened. ONLY IN THAILAND!

SCUM of the earth Mafia own and rent and PROTECT each other.

in many countries you need a licence to drive a jetski ... same for "big" motorcycles, so why people seem to think here, they can drive something they never did before without problems, plus the ripp-off maffia involved... should say enough not to use the "services" if you do not want a very bad turn to your holliday budget

Hmm, news to me. Can you name one country that requires a license to ride a jet ski?

Australia
  • Like 1

in many countries you need a licence to drive a jetski ... same for "big" motorcycles, so why people seem to think here, they can drive something they never did before without problems, plus the ripp-off maffia involved... should say enough not to use the "services" if you do not want a very bad turn to your holliday budget

Hmm, news to me. Can you name one country that requires a license to ride a jet ski?

Australia

Holland

• Like 1

Australia

Holland

France

Australia

Holland

France
Come on guys, he only asked for 1 country. smile.png
  • Like 2

“The insurance company will pay for damages up to 50,000 baht, but if the repairs cost more than that, the tourists must pay the rest,” Mr Nucha said."

Yes, that's the same way I insure my new pickup - I insure it for 1/10th of its value and then when I have an accident, I make somebody else pay the rest. blink.png

Perfect Thai logic.

As I read it's "Business as usual"...

Ok, Wait a minute !! What if.....What if These people really actually damaged the ski Jet and actually crashed into a yatch ??? Is that not also a possible scenario !!!?? And if so well yeah ... I think they should be charged ...! Why does everybody here think that the people who rent these Ski Jets are never at all at fault////? Have you ever seen or experienced driving a car let alone a Ski Jey along side a Chines Driver... :-)))... Eeekss!!

Tourist Police Commander targets Phuket jet-ski rip-offs

Satisfied with the explanation, Maj Gen Roy said, “The jet-ski operators provide a good service to tourists.

So that one is solved then, NEXT.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

I don't understand why people keep renting them, after all this problems....

After everything I've read and heard, I would never hire a jetski

welcomeani.gif Don't forget, every day NEW people come here for the FIRST time, NOT aware about those scumbags (as well the jetski owners as the BIB ) welcomeani.gif

Australia

I've rented jet skis all over the world. Okinawa...Miami...Fort Lauderdale... Waikiki...Barcelona and NEVER saw a crash...a tourist rip off or tourists roughed up and threatened. ONLY IN THAILAND!

SCUM of the earth Mafia own and rent and PROTECT each other.

Well the crash that involved the yacht did happen whether you've seen one before or not.

Australia

Holland

France
Come on guys, he only asked for 1 country. smile.png

Nigeria.

“The insurance company will pay for damages up to 50,000 baht, but if the repairs cost more than that, the tourists must pay the rest,” Mr Nucha said."

Yes, that's the same way I insure my new pickup - I insure it for 1/10th of its value and then when I have an accident, I make somebody else pay the rest. blink.png

Perfect Thai logic.

The insurance company sets the maximum payout.

What a load of BS! According to Yamaha a new jet ski is between $9k to $16K USD. http://www.yamahawaverunners.com

The owner of the jet ski that was wrecked in the accident with the yacht asked initially for ฿300,000 and settled for ฿100,000, which is almost $30,000 USD. Still a scam and always a scam, now justified by the head of the tourist police. Just as the over the top taxi and tuk tuk fares have been legitimized by the local government. But I also read that Bangkok is sending a team to take a look at all coastal property titles here. Hopefully some big heads will roll, but somehow I doubt it if the past is any indication of the future greed and corruption.

I think that 100,000 THB is just over $3.000... ;-)

Sorry I haven't seen that so many ppl let you know about this simple mistake...

But I'm glad anyway that some officials starts at least talking about this problem... just when I was reading all the BS about poor jet-ski operators this drive me crazy....

Edited by Kularion

What a load of BS! According to Yamaha a new jet ski is between $9k to $16K USD. http://www.yamahawaverunners.com

The owner of the jet ski that was wrecked in the accident with the yacht asked initially for ฿300,000 and settled for ฿100,000, which is almost $30,000 USD. Still a scam and always a scam, now justified by the head of the tourist police. Just as the over the top taxi and tuk tuk fares have been legitimized by the local government. But I also read that Bangkok is sending a team to take a look at all coastal property titles here. Hopefully some big heads will roll, but somehow I doubt it if the past is any indication of the future greed and corruption.

Hey Jimi. I suggest you quickly learn your exchange rates before you go back to Thailand. According to xe.com

100,000.00 THB =

3,385.25 USD

At what point did the officer address the rip-offs and scams? He just reviewed the offical 'rules' without addressing the unoffical 'creative' ones. This the work of a politician not a policeman.

I wonder what the chinese make of this....oh nevermind...because within a decade or two thailand will finally be colonised instead of being annexed by proxy.

• Like 1

What action was taken ?

Theystrolled along the beach with leaflets-------is that not enough--------after all as the man said----they[the jet ski operators] are doing a good job for tourists. I,m sorry but I am nearly peeing myself as I write this----Dougal the[peeing] Kiwi

I just wonder what the outcome for him would be if he'd said anything other than complimentary?