If You Hate Thailand, Why Live Here ?

soi41

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

I just don't like Thai culture, society or the average Thai.

Which is why I'm perfectly happy having almost zero interaction with them while living here in a nice, pretty country. smile.png

Works for me. But I guess haters gonna hate. wink.png

This mirrors my sentiments almost exactly.

The is nothing wrong with living here, minding your own business and having a nice peaceful life.

I also despise having to deal with any of the locals in any way shape or form.

It would be interesting to hear from the posters that "love Thailand" how long they've been here.

I have been here 15 years and don't think i would live anywhere else however had i know 15 years ago what i know now about the country & people i would not have stayed!

I have the distinct feeling that you would be saying exactly the same thing about Australia, Brazil, Indonesia or wherever. Thailand IS the Thai people, whether you or I like it - no, I don't live in Thailand, and I don't plan to, but I wont be on a board in 12 months banging on about 'lazy Malays' either ....

Push comes to shove, some of us just hate people. Believe it or not, people sense that and it impacts the way they act toward us, and that applies whether you live in Southampton, Sydney or Sakhon Nakhon. Might be time to move to that shack in Montana and be done with it.

• Like 1

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

Which is why I'm perfectly happy having almost zero interaction with them while living here in a nice, pretty country. smile.png

This mirrors my sentiments almost exactly.

The is nothing wrong with living here, minding your own business and having a nice peaceful life.

It would be interesting to hear from the posters that "love Thailand" how long they've been here.

I have been here 15 years and don't think i would live anywhere else however had i know 15 years ago what i know now about the country & people i would not have stayed!

I have the distinct feeling that you would be saying exactly the same thing about Australia, Brazil, Indonesia or wherever. Thailand IS the Thai people, whether you or I like it - no, I don't live in Thailand, and I don't plan to, but I wont be on a board in 12 months banging on about 'lazy Malays' either ....

Push comes to shove, some of us just hate people. Believe it or not, people sense that and it impacts the way they act toward us, and that applies whether you live in Southampton, Sydney or Sakhon Nakhon. Might be time to move to that shack in Montana and be done with it.

Correct to a certain extent, i do not like to be about people in general, so what? I have a nice place outwith city limits, mind my own business and do not bring any problems to anyone. A nice quite life - lovely!!

As mentioned my only issues is interaction with the locals, unfortunately i cannot get away from this - i am polite when dealing with them ( mostly ) but dislike the majority of them with a passion, dislike there manners / values / attitudes and also dislike how dense a lot of them are.

Example - go to the shop buy something for 10 baht, hand them 20 baht, out with the calculator, hand them 50 baht same thing, 100 / 500/ 1000 baht same thing -<deleted> is all that about? TELL ME I"M MAKING THIS UP.....

Whistles - <deleted>, why do i need someone going nuts with a whistle anytime i want to park my car in a mall car park or restaraunt for example then put his hand out for 20 baht - I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!!!!

The list is endless, this is why i choose for the most part a solitary life, how does it go....."up to me" or something like that.

Yep, and they do some very odd things in Malaysia and Indonesia - cant deny that those things irritate us more as we get older, but for me I cant see myself living in someone else's country if I'm going to 'sweat the small stuff'. Smokers annoy the living shit out of me, and most Asian males seem to be serious chain smokers : I have to deal with that or wear the consequences. It goes the other way - some Thai people think that anyone who has a toilet without some form of bidet might as well be squatting in the woods, and its no secret that they consider our general hygiene to be sub-par : all I can do is take care of my own briar patch and ignore the rest. Logically, can a chain smoker who has been standing in the gutter selling t-shirts for 6-8 hours seriously question my hygiene ? I dont think so, but its irrelevant - mai pen rai.

I dont pretend to understand women (of any nationality..) either, but life would be awfully dull without them. Sparta, anyone ? :D

Yep, and they do some very odd things in Malaysia and Indonesia - cant deny that those things irritate us more as we get older, but for me I cant see myself living in someone else's country if I'm going to 'sweat the small stuff'. Smokers annoy the living shit out of me, and most Asian males seem to be serious chain smokers : I have to deal with that or wear the consequences. It goes the other way - some Thai people think that anyone who has a toilet without some form of bidet might as well be squatting in the woods, and its no secret that they consider our general hygiene to be sub-par : all I can do is take care of my own briar patch and ignore the rest. Logically, can a chain smoker who has been standing in the gutter selling t-shirts for 6-8 hours seriously question my hygiene ? I dont think so, but its irrelevant - mai pen rai.

I dont pretend to understand women (of any nationality..) either, but life would be awfully dull without them. Sparta, anyone ? biggrin.png

I've never noticed people doing odd things. Maybe I'm not as sensitive as you, or not so nosey.

SC

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

If I remember correctly from your earlier posts here, you are Thai married and have a 50/50 child. You are going to have an intesting marriage, if you are showing no interest in your wifes culture and background. Not to mention, you are not making life easier for yourself.

Yes, I'm 33 and I've been married here for 5 years. Child coming soon. Luckily she (the wife) is one of the non-retarded Thais and has almost less to do with the average Thai than I do. wink.png

When you get one of them, you're set for life. smile.png

In other words, she's one of the Hi-So Thais, that most members are married with.

• Like 1

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

Which is why I'm perfectly happy having almost zero interaction with them while living here in a nice, pretty country.

25 years and I prefer most Thais to many Westerners. In general, they are pretty easy to get along with.

• Like 2

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

If I remember correctly from your earlier posts here, you are Thai married and have a 50/50 child. You are going to have an intesting marriage, if you are showing no interest in your wifes culture and background. Not to mention, you are not making life easier for yourself.

Yes, I'm 33 and I've been married here for 5 years. Child coming soon. Luckily she (the wife) is one of the non-retarded Thais and has almost less to do with the average Thai than I do. wink.png

In other words, she's one of the Hi-So Thais, that most members are married with.

biggrin.png

It can get frustrating at times.

People get down.

A lot of people only have contact with Thais who are only with them for the money so get lonely and frustrated.

Some thought they were the big man here due to hanging around with very poor people and didn't like it when they found out they were completely insignificant to Thailand and were actually poor themselves compared to most middle class Thais and above.

So many restrictive rules regarding work legalities frustrate people, people need to work or can get frustrated.

The language barrier and difference in culture can get frustrating.

Lack of home comforts and missing things from home can get frustrating.

We all get down at times and many release it on here until they feel better. Everyone needs a release.

Absolutely perfect Reply to the post....You have covered a big percentage of the TVsa population.clap2.gif

Bought a house here, opened a business, which was a success straight away. We now have 2 shops with more than 40 Thais working for us.

Thai Visa 101.

If you only have two shops after 10 years+ of trying you're doing something wrong mate. wink.png

Not actually true. Finding enough reliable staff to run more than 2 shops is a BIG job. I DID say "reliable". From what I've heard from many business owners is it is hard to keep good staff for long periods of time.

We seem to have about 4 or 5 different topics running on this thread at the same time. Of course that is just normal.

Luckily she (the wife) is one of the non-retarded Thais and has almost less to do with the average Thai than I do. wink.png

What an incredibly racist post. You sound more retarded than the Thais you're accusing. Perhaps if we ever met your wife, we can assume that she's a "typical" retarded Thai.

This is the kind of asinine attitude that the OP is talking about. Thailand is about Thais. If you don't want to deal with the locals, you really should get the heck out of Thailand. The whining/whinging brigade doesn't like to hear that, but it's about the only appropriate response for someone who is that bigoted.

• Like 2

I was thinking of setting up a forum which only allowed possitive content about the country, the type that is read by little old men who wake up whistling and wishing everyone a good morning as he skips the bad news in the paper to do the crossword and read the cartoons.

Everywhere has good and bad, and Thai Visa does actually have a mix of both, if a little one sided.

Your post is negative, why not go away and think of seven positive posts about Thailand and give us one a day, or just have a moan instead.

(i am a grumpy git this morning sorry wink.png )

Luckily she (the wife) is one of the non-retarded Thais and has almost less to do with the average Thai than I do. wink.png

What an incredibly racist post. You sound more retarded than the Thais you're accusing. Perhaps if we ever met your wife, we can assume that she's a "typical" retarded Thai.

I think you missed the sarcasm directed at the farang posters here, and not at the Thais. I highly doubt if Almera meant what was written literally.

I was thinking of setting up a forum which only allowed possitive content about the country, the type that is read by little old men who wake up whistling and wishing everyone a good morning as he skips the bad news in the paper to do the crossword and read the cartoons.

Everywhere has good and bad, and Thai Visa does actually have a mix of both, if a little one sided.

Your post is negative, why not go away and think of seven positive posts about Thailand and give us one a day, or just have a moan instead.

It's turned out nice and warm again

• Like 1

It's turned out nice and warm again

But i prefer the smell of cut grass than burning grass sad.png

Some rave about Thailand and all things Thai.

Some love the country and don't want to see it ruined by pigs in power.

Some are simply trapped here.

But for most it's probably a combination of all three.

And it does you good to let off steam once in a while!

I started out thinking the average age on TV was somewhere around 60 - increasingly, I've revised that downward to about 16. Keep it up and we could be into negative figures by next week - how 'retarded' would that be, dudes ? Like, totally.

I don't hate 'Thailand'.

Most certainly not.

'Hi-So'.... 'Non-retarded'.... in the same sentence.

Don't think so.

I'd rather eat Pla-rah for breakfast than have anything to do with someone who considers themselves as 'Hi-So'. I personally find the concept of it disgusting.

Yet like the rest of Thailand and Thai society, it is amusing and entertaining to observe. :)

Edited by Almera

1. I rent a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house in Phuket including a gardener two times a week, ADSL, 82 channel cable, 24 hour security, and a 50sqm swimming pool. The rent PER MONTH is roughly the same as I pay on a garage size business storage shed in Australia PER WEEK.

2. Vehicle registration in Australia is about 800 percent more expensive than here.

3. Utility costs are about 500 percent more expensive in OZ than there.

4. I bought chicken maryland pieces (thigh and drumstick) at Tesco this week for 39 baht a kilo.

5. Australia is currently run by a malevolent lesbian puppet...though that will change in the near future to a fascist midget.

6. And finally, here I have a lovely partner as well as two fun giks in their early twenties.

But despite all of this, I am leaving next year because of the BS I have to endure to maintain a long stay visa.

Edited by Phronesis

I started out thinking the average age on TV was somewhere around 60 - increasingly, I've revised that downward to about 16. Keep it up and we could be into negative figures by next week - how 'retarded' would that be, dudes ? Like, totally.

One can be retarded at any age, look at me. coffee1.gif ...........................crazy.gif

1. I rent a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house in Phuket including a gardener two times a week, ADSL, 82 channel cable, 24 hour security, and a 50sqm swimming pool. The rent PER MONTH is roughly the same as I pay on a garage size business storage shed in Australia PER WEEK.

2. Vehicle registration in Australia is about 800 percent more expensive than here.

4. I bought chicken maryland pieces (thigh and drumstick) at Tesco this week for 39 baht a kilo.

5. Australia is currently run by a malevolent lesbian puppet...though that will change in the near future to a fascist midget.

6. And finally, here I have a lovely partner as well as two fun giks in their early twenties.

But despite all of this, I am leaving next year because of the BS I have to endure to maintain a long stay visa.

Anywhere interesting?

I was with you all the way until the second part of item 6...

I'm in Thailand often, I choose to live in Australia because I love my home.

But I got to say Thailand is awsome and I absolutly love it,can't wait to visit again soon.

op good to see you enjoying the life, it's got negatives but what doesn't, the place is amazing.

• Like 1

I don’t think MOST HATERS hated Thailand when they first came here originally, otherwise after weighting pros/cons they wouldn’t move here. The benefits (whatever they might be at the time for them) were far greater, that’s why they had made the decision to be here.

However I have my little theory as to why they like moaning and groaning “TOO MUCH very much SOO MUCH ”. Or whenever things don’t go in their favor, they just don’t like it. ...“How dare this little asian tell me what to do, or try to argue with me” etcs.

They will blame for all their unhappiness and mishaps on Thailand and its people, instead of looking at themselves to share the blame as they’re too is a part of their unhappiness equation. It’s easier to blame others than yourself too – what a shallow minded person, I think.

In addition to…MANY still have this thought of thai people in Thailand as the same little poorly uneducated/ less civilized nobody as they came across many immigrants in their home country. The people they can look down at or view as inferior to them with their colonial-white god-attitude. I could go on and on.

But now they’re stuck in Thailand with no other way out. There are numbers of reason as to why they’re struck here .

It could be that......they have invested so much and ran out of money to move back home or go anywhere else w/ comfortable life, …or just couldn’t imagine going back living in a nursing home w/no one to care for them …or couldn’t part with all those CHEAP little tight young bodies they can have in Thailand….etcs. So now they just have to put up with all the s**ts in Thailand, because there is no other option that they can see better. So they just continue to BLAME AND BLAME Thailand and its people whenever they're not happy, …because only thai people s**ts stink!

And of course in some other cases… it’s not even about Thailand, culture, and its people. But simply as they are just un-flexible, un-adaptable to any type of environment (I think mostly because they are NOT WILLING TO), …or just downright a born hater who will find more negatives than positives in anything they come across---no matter where they happen to be, or whatever they’re doing . Basically this group think that…. all s**ts stink, except their own!

Just my thought here……..sorry for my not so perfect in English, I’m not a native English speaker.

• Like 2

I call dibs on your Giks. Can I have their mobile numbers?

When the police extorts 300 bath from me for an imaginary traffic offence, I complain about it on this forum.

That happens once a year.

The other 364 days (365 in a leap year), the police does not extort 300 bath from me, but I do not post that - so in the OP's view I am a never-happy-winger.

Do not tempt me, I might start posting daily.....

whistling.gif

Interesting life decisions you choose to make.

You stack up a virtual paradise on one side and then give it all up because you cannot make a long stay visa. Why not just get a Non-O visa and travel every 90 days - you are in control and don't have to face any BS.