After 2 Decades, Politics Runs In Sudarat's Veins

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
After 2 decades, politics runs in Sudarat's veins
Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation on Sunday

30202100-01_big.jpg

Though the veteran politician insists her focus is on dharma, she still manages to keep her finger on the pulse.

BANGKOK: -- For well over two decades, Sudarat Keyuraphan has been seen as a big-name politician. Her long-standing political career, perhaps, is a reason why she still thinks and breathes politics.

Though she may have shifted her focus to rehabilitating Buddha's birthplace in Nepal for now, she has never really buried her political ambitions. So many of her plans, including the campaign to engage people in the formulation of public policies, are nothing if not political in nature.

"They are the long-term plans," the 52-year-old explained.

If this official five-year break from politics has made any changes in her personality, it has made her softer, she says.

"I am calmer than before. I am more forgiving," she said.

In her younger years, Sudarat was known for her tough, fierce character. If somebody hurt her, she would take revenge tenfold. Perhaps that is why she has often been referred to as "beautiful, but bitchy".

"I thought I had to be tough to deal with the conflicts and rivalries. But now, I think I only need to be compassionate, even with those who think ill of me," she said.

Sudarat was dealt some major blows when 2006 military coup toppled the Thai Rak Thai-led government, the party got dissolved and its executives slapped with a five year ban from politics in 2007.

Yet, looking back, she says they came at the right time.

"It has given me the golden opportunity of taking care of my children and studying dharma," she said.

However, now that her political ban has come to an end, Sudarat says she's prepared to step into the field with a finely tuned character and crystal-clear ideas.

"I have extensive experience. I have been at the helm of several ministries. I have seen where problems lie. Before this, I was too quick tempered. Now that I have embraced dharma with open arms, I feel I will be able to work better," Sudarat surmised.

This former executive of Thai Rak Thai, which has now reincarnated as Pheu Thai Party, admitted that she was still interested in the Bangkok governor's post. She had entered the gubernatorial race several years ago but lost to the immensely popular Samak Sundaravej, who later became prime minister under the People Power Party-led government.

That loss, however, has not discouraged her. Sudarat said she has been living in Bangkok for many years now and knows all its problems.

"I am confident that I will be able to do well as governor. I feel close to Bangkok and its people," she said, shrugging off criticism that she would be opting for a downgrade if she ran in the local election rather than a national poll.

Asked why she did not run in the latest Bangkok race, Sudarat said her top priority for now was rehabilitating Buddha's birthplace.

"But if the opportunity opens at a later time, I think I will go for it," she said.

Sudarat said before that happens, she will focus on engaging members of public in the formulation of public policies.

"Don't politicise it. I think everybody should join hands in proposing something good for the country, regardless of their political affiliation. We can brainstorm and introduce better changes. For example, you may have a good idea of how to reform the country's agricultural sector," she said.

Her other initiative - "Reset for Kind-Hearted Thais" - has also gained a lot of attention. This project will promote a sense of morality in Thailand - something she says should help end all social problems.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-17

Khun Sudarat's rhetorical - meaning meaningless - mission impossible.

"Don't politicise it. I think everybody should join hands in proposing something good for the country, regardless of their political affiliation. We can brainstorm and introduce better changes. For example, you may have a good idea of how to reform the country's agricultural sector," she said.

Her other initiative - "Reset for Kind-Hearted Thais" - has also gained a lot of attention. This project will promote a sense of morality in Thailand - something she says should help end all social problems.

The same tired tripe.

It was reported that when police came to her house when there was a coup, they found massive of cash stashed in a hidden room.

The formulation of public policies are just one of those of red shirt's policies, she is trying some ways to be one of the leaders after was banned for 5 years. She didn't have a chance to become one of those like Natawut, etc, now she's paving her way to get back to lucrative business - politics.

Thai thinking, make merit, shave the head, take robes and all is forgiven. Next she will probably play Black Sabbath backwards at 78 and find the hidden meaning of life. But I would agree if she had been in the two horse race on Bangkok she may well have just pipped the real result. But then she doesn't need the money now does she? I wonder if there is any morality left in any politician (globally)?