Traveling To Eu With Pets And 2Nd Question Re Bringing Back Wine

bonzersmom

Hi. Newby here. I think this is my first post.

We are headed for Rome and Ireland this summer and want to bring our dog with us. He's an american dog but has been in CM with us for the past 8 months. I do have a USDA certificate for exportation but I think at 8 months it's too old to qualify for EU countries. He has a microchip and is current on vaccines. Now all I need to do is get the proper forms filled out by the right people. Has anybody done this? Where do I go to get the proper verification of vaccinations/blood tests? I understand that there are only certain vets in CM who are "certified" to provide the information for entry into the EU. I don't want to arrive at Fiumicino and end up with my pup in quarantine. Also vice versa for bringing him home to Chiang Mai. .

Also I know the limit for bringing back alcohol to Thailand is one liter. However, is there anyway I can bring more and just pay the customs duties? There are a couple of Montepulciano and Shiraz (yes Italy makes GREAT Shiraz) I want to bring back. Probably 1 to 2 cases worth for personal consumption. I don't want to spend the money on the wine, fly it back and have the customs officers impound it.

If you book your baggage straight through to Chiang Mai, you should be able to 'negotiate' a customs fee at CM Airport. i know plenty of people who've done that and the 'duty' isn't excessive! As far as your pets are concerned, not sure about Italy, but Ireland has the same stringent quarantine laws as the UK -and your mutt may we'll be quarantined on arrival in Dublin.

The alcohol allowance is 1 litre. Any more and Thai customs are entitled to both fine you an enormous amount AND confiscate the goods. There are cases here on Thaivisa where this has happened. I seem to remember (but am happy to be corrected) that if the fine is 4 times the value of duty payable on the goods plus their confiscation.

Sorry don't know anything about dogs.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/bringing_pets_to_ireland.html

The importation of pets into Ireland has always been strictly controlled to ensure that diseases such as rabies are not introduced. Since 1 January 2012 there have been a number of changes to the EU system of Passports for Pets allows cats, dogs and ferrets to travel between EU member states. This EU Pet Passport certifies that the pet has been identified by means of a microchip and vaccinated against rabies. Pets from higher risk non-EU countries will also require a blood test - see 'Non-qualifying high-risk countries' below.

Non-qualifying high-risk countries

If you are coming from a non-qualifying high-risk country your pet must:

• Be microchipped (this must be done before anything else)
  • Be vaccinated for rabies subsequently
  • Have a blood test after the rabies vaccination at least 3 months before entry
  • Have a Veterinary Certificate – see ‘How to apply’ below - issued or endorsed by the competent authority in the country of origin
  • Dogs must be treated for tapeworm between 24 and 120 hours before travel and the time and date of treatment must be entered on the passport. Treatment for ticks is not compulsory but it is advisable to get it at the same time as the tapeworm treatment.

Travel from outside the EU

The animal must be transported by air to Ireland either on an approved airline or owners can apply to the Department for a prior approval. Entry to Ireland is by airline into Dublin airport where the pet is transferred to the quarantine facility for inspection the same day to check if the pet is compliant with the entry requirements. Arrangements including costs are a matter for the pet owner.

Non-compliant pets from outside the EU

If the pet does not meet the entry requirements the Department may decide to:

• Return the pet to the country of origin or
  • Quarantine the pet for up to a maximum of 4 months at the owner's expense

There is more information about the entry requirements for dogs, cats or ferrets outside the EU or certain other EU countries on the website of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine.

How to apply

If you are importing a pet cat, dog or ferret into Ireland from an EU member state or certain other EU countries, you should arrange for your veterinarian to microchip and then vaccinate the pet in that order, and obtain an EU Pet Passport from the competent authority in the EU member state of origin.

If you are importing a pet cat, dog or ferret into Ireland from a qualifying low-risk country, you should arrange for your veterinarian to microchip and then vaccinate the pet in that order.

If you are importing a pet cat, dog or ferret into Ireland from a qualifying third country, you should arrange for your veterinarian to microchip, vaccinate and then bloodtest the pet in that order

Contact a local veterinarian or the competent authority for information on the Veterinary Certificate for Domestic Dogs, Cats and Ferrets entering the European Community.

To my knowledge there is no vet in CM 'certified' for providing info for entering the EU with a pet.

For entering the EU with a dog or cat a Rabies Serological test has to be done at a registered laboratory in the EU. Meaning you have to go to a vet here and have blood drawn from your dog. The blood has to be turned into a serum and that you can send to the registered lab in the EU. Takes 2 to 4 weeks before you get the test results back.
From the day the blood has been drawn your dog needs to stay another 3 months in Thailand before s/he can enter the EU.

Total costs from drawing blood to sending, to paying the lab in the EU is not more than 4,000 baht. You can let the vet do the whole thing for you: prices range for that between 12 - 15,000 baht.

If you need more information on this, including the address of the lab I have used several times for sending dogs to the EU, feel free to send me a pm.

• 1 month later...

hello this is my first post too. im new om forum. well i just read some post forum for travel import pets... i come from Italy, and if some one need to talk with me about your story im ready lol.

i will travel october with 2 cats.. on will be near my seat,and one inside near bag place.(cargo?).

i hope eveithing will be ok. im only warried about how long time cats will have to stay to my arrival at bangkok quarantene? thank you for aswer

Fabio

You should pay a visit to the Quarantine Center in Chiang Mai (Opposite the Zoo, a little after entrance), you need some paperwork to exit with the dog and be able to re-enter Thailand, yes, you need a sort of exit visa for the dog....

For Europe, as per the law you need a European Animal Passport + Chip + Blood Test + all the shots as well as a special certificate for UK and Nothern Ireland, this certificate can be obtained only in Europe, then you can skip the quarantine for

british isles.

I do not know for Italy but when entering France, there's absolutely no control.

To return to Thailand you shall also need an International Health Certificate + all the above + Entry form for the Dog at CM airport (100 THB) + The pink sli[ they gave you the first time you entered Thailand with the dog.

If all the paperwork is in order it does not take more than 10mn to re-enter Thailand, provided the Vets are present at the arrival, sometimes you'll have to wait for them to process the paperwork.

Attached are the forms used in Oct 2012 (It changes very often, so these might be outdated) and the docs provided on our last visit to the center.

2012 CM QAS Form.pdf

Vet - Blank Form.pdf

Thailand DLD Offices.pdf