Thai Prisoners Riot After Inmate ' Left To Die' Of Heart Attack

webfact

Prisoners riot after inmate 'left to die' of heart attack
The Nation

30202149-01_big.JPG

SAMUT SAKHON: -- A riot broke out briefly yesterday morning at a prison in Samut Sakhon after an inmate was refused emergency treatment for chest pain and died of apparent cardiac arrest.

Angered at guards for ignoring their calls for help when Somchai Pheeranuwat collapsed at 2.30am and for leaving him in his cell unattended for four hours, some 50 occupants of Somchai's block in Zone 4 were the first to cause a disturbance.

They covered their faces with clothes and shirts before destroying several surveillance cameras and a door.

This group, led by Kittisak Yordwong, also demanded the immediate transfer of a guard, Wiroj Chumchuenjit.

A team of 400 police and prison guards was mobilised and 50 of them remained on site even after the rioters negotiated with a group of guards they trusted and agreed to disperse.

Chief warden Sophon Yimpreecha said Kittisak was convicted for drug-related crimes and was unhappy with Wiroj's strict discipline and constant monitoring of drug-dealing activities at the facility.

The prison and the Corrections Department would jointly decide on whether to punish Kittisak and the other protesters and how.

Somchai, 25, was serving a sentence of seven years and 15 months for drugs and firearms-related crimes. He was complaining about chest pain but the guards on duty did not immediately follow guidelines for health emergencies after hearing the cellmates' calls.

The guards declined to take the sick man out of the Zone 4 cell until dawn, citing safety concerns and insufficient manpower during their night shift.

An autopsy will be ordered to determine the cause of death.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-18

Nice to see the look on the faces of them plod!

PC Somchai : "You want us to WHAT???" <deleted> that..I'm off back to Asoke to shake down Farang tourists....daddy never said this were in the job description..."

PC Surachart: Thank Xxxx I'm wearing brown pants already...."

Edited by metisdead

Part quote from report:

"Chief warden Sophon Yimpreecha said Kittisak was convicted for drug-related crimes and was unhappy with Wiroj's strict discipline and constant monitoring of drug-dealing activities at the facility."

- Who knows about the strict discipline point.

- Given the constant revelations about drug dealing & actvities etc., inside of Thai jails, and given the evidence of inmates controlling outside drug dealing and distrubution from within their cells, surely the warden was doing his job, nothing more & nothing less.

Part quote from report:

"Chief warden Sophon Yimpreecha said Kittisak was convicted for drug-related crimes and was unhappy with Wiroj's strict discipline and constant monitoring of drug-dealing activities at the facility."

- Given the constant revelations about drug dealing & actvities etc., inside of Thai jails, and given the evidence of inmates controlling outside drug dealing and distrubution from within their cells, surely the warden was doing his job, nothing more & nothing less.

I know 2 people who received similar sentences, and served them, who I am sure were completely innocent. Refusing medical attention to a person complaining of chest pains is reckless indifference causing death, and worthy of a much longer incarceration.

Think of it If this is the way they treat Thais then can you imagine how a farang in the same position would be treated WOW

I can see it now

The Guards: "He guys look at him twitch I wonder what my taser would do Do you think it will stop the twitching Ummm Lets see"

"Ooops I guess I need to turn down the voltage for a farang"

Edited by realenglish1

Nice to see the look on the faces of them plod!

PC Somchai : "You want us to WHAT???" <deleted> that..I'm off back to Asoke to shake down Farang tourists....daddy never said this were in the job description..."

PC Surachart: Thank Xxxx I'm wearing brown pants already...."

not sure if we are looking at the same pic, but if we are talking about the one in the op, i suspect you are taking some liberties, as i dont get that from the picture above at all.

in another prison . . .recent news article on Bang Kwang which has about 3800 prisoners said that there was no licensed doctor based there, and that any sickness/illness that occurs after 5.30pm lockup (after 4.30pm dinner) has to wait until the following morning 6am.

Few guards once lockup completed, no need to walk the corridors.

25 and already has heart problems leading to a heart attack? Sure, it's possible, thinking about the stress of being incarcerated, possible heavy smoking and /or drug use such as cocaine or meth (although none of this is mentioned in the article) but heart attacks are very uncommon in those aged under 40 or 45 meaning that I'd be curious to see what the autopsy report comes up with.

• Like 1

Instead of starting 'serious political debate' on a topic no one can do anything about, yet has such magnificent 'caption competition' potential; may I ask people to stop bleating on and on and just do a 'caption'?

Please?

Thanks.

I'm willing to do that but have no idea what you mean. Can you show an example of a caption? i thought a caption was the bit of text under a photo.

Instead of starting 'serious political debate' on a topic no one can do anything about, yet has such magnificent 'caption competition' potential; may I ask people to stop bleating on and on and just do a 'caption'?

Please?

Thanks.

post-12195-13635877419426_thumb.jpg

50 shades of Brown.

• Like 1

"Somchai, 25, was serving a sentence of seven years and 15 months for drugs and firearms-related crimes".................... isn't that the same as 8 years and 3 months?? or am I reading it wrong? smile.png

You're reading it wrong, there were two offences, drugs and firearms. Seven years for one, fifteen months for the other.

25 and already has heart problems leading to a heart attack? Sure, it's possible, thinking about the stress of being incarcerated, possible heavy smoking and /or drug use such as cocaine or meth (although none of this is mentioned in the article) but heart attacks are very uncommon in those aged under 40 or 45 meaning that I'd be curious to see what the autopsy report comes up with.

Probably more common than you're aware of. I know of three people under 40 who died as a result of heart attacks. Two of them in prison.

Can anyone name one rich person in a Thai Jail ? Life is worth little in a country where money is everything.

I know of one rich farang in a Thai prison, and, before anyone demands it, no, I won't name him, I'm not that daft. His initials however may or may not be a "J" and an "M "

They're talking about punishing the inmates who "rioted."

But no one seems to be talking about punishing the guards who let the inmate in their custody die while refusing him medical attention for hours.

Hmmmmm....

Exactly. Hopefully the family of this guy has enough forethought and wherewithall to sue the prison system for this.

Part quote from report:

BS - There is not enugh evidence to make such a statement. Besides, the Thai standard for 'Strict Discipline' is called torture.