lusty

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kurnell, on 19 Mar 2013 - 06:20, said:

Being a local business man, member of 6 chambers of commerce, and ex-director of 2 chambers of commerce I would happily sit at Thonglor police station and wait for the media to get a hold of the story so that the police can explain why people are being harassed in the middle of the day by corrupt police trying to extort money.

what media should be interested in that? Thai media are in favor of that.

Sounds incredible.

Bkk is getting worst and worst with this mafia.

Has this happened to someone else ?

Not sure how coppers doing their job is mafia like (or perhaps more mafia like) than anything else they do.

At one level, they are just doing their job. If you do nothing wrong, then off you go. The OP was very clear that they were exteremely transparent with him about doing the test in plain sight of him.

If you are positive, you have the opportunity to take the matter one of two ways - the legal way to either cop it sweet or contest the charge, presumably first via a more detailed test at the hospital.

Or, you can go the lazy b@stard way, and slip them 5000 baht. The cops are obviously relying on this latter trick.

But as always it comes down to this: if you want to stay on the right side of the law in Thailand, don't try what you probably wouldn't get away with back home.

Being a local business man, member of 6 chambers of commerce, and ex-director of 2 chambers of commerce I would happily sit at Thonglor police station and wait for the media to get a hold of the story so that the police can explain why people are being harassed in the middle of the day by corrupt police trying to extort money.

In what country were all of your EXs?

Thailand

Yes the media would hold of it and call you Hi-so and the story would run and run in the paper and on the internet, but not in your favour. Whether you are guilty or not.

don't embarrass them in the soi, your test will come back positive.

I would have dropped my pants all the way to my ankles, faced everyone and taken the test, this may change how things are done in the future.

You wouldn't embarass them by pulling down your pants ? I think we understand.

Sounds incredible.

Bkk is getting worst and worst with this mafia.

Has this happened to someone else ?

What ma

This proves that the police are doing a good job.

What I would do in that situation is cooperate with the police rather than telling them no pee and to pee off and refuse.

Providing you abide by the laws then you have nothing to fear. Get caught with drugs, dealing or taking, then you`re owned, it`s that simple.

The jail houses here are stacked wall to wall with farang inhabitants incarcerated for drug offenses, many serving life sentences.

fia

I wonder how you and figs have such divergent feelings about this when you're both long time Thailand residents. While he seems to suggest these police actions are Mafia related you refer to them as "police doing a good job"?

What's the difference?

I'd be pretty 'pi$$ed off' about this... I'm not fortunate enough to be able to pee on demand. If I've 'been' within an hour or two before the request I'd find myself waiting for another couple of hours.

I can't see how this is a legal infringement even within Thailand.

In a bar or pub they have reasonable cause and therefore legality and that wouldn't bother me so much - but randomly stopping someone walking by in the street can't be legal.

I suspect the Police have stepped beyond the law by doing this.

Yes, they are the Police, so some will say they can do whatever they want. Of course, it makes things smoother just to give in and politely follow their requests and I might be tempted to follow their request if it didn't involve peeing in a cup in the street (or alley) and if I was 'ready to pee'.. or if its in a bar etc... But, I believe I might find myself politely, but firmly refusing... (my refusal would involve calling a friend who can help if things got a little testy)...

I've been in similar situations before when the police stopped my taxi and asked for my passport. I refused, politely but firmly - the police lost interest.

It would be interesting to know the 'real' law on this and exactly what our rights are. I'm sure some will say it doesn't matter what our rights are if the Police ask us to do something. I disagree, it does matter to me.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

This has been happening for years!!

Thonglor Soi 20 leading into Soi 23 is the prime spot for pee-testing and general stop-and-searches,

at all times of the day.

A word of caution about another under-handed tactic that they might use:

- Assuming they find nothing on you, they'll demand to go to your room for further searches (happened to a friend)

Needless to say, it's advisable to tell them that you don't live in the area or Bangkok for that matter

• Like 1

richard_smith237, on 19 Mar 2013 - 12:48, said:

I'd be pretty 'pi$$ed off' about this... I'm not fortunate enough to be able to pee on demand. If I've 'been' within an hour or two before the request I'd find myself waiting for another couple of hours.

I can't see how this is a legal infringement even within Thailand.

In a bar or pub they have reasonable cause and therefore legality and that wouldn't bother me so much - but randomly stopping someone walking by in the street can't be legal.

I suspect the Police have stepped beyond the law by doing this.

Yes, they are the Police, so some will say they can do whatever they want. Of course, it makes things smoother just to give in and politely follow their requests and I might be tempted to follow their request if it didn't involve peeing in a cup in the street (or alley) and if I was 'ready to pee'.. or if its in a bar etc... But, I believe I might find myself politely, but firmly refusing... (my refusal would involve calling a friend who can help if things got a little testy)...

I've been in similar situations before when the police stopped my taxi and asked for my passport. I refused, politely but firmly - the police lost interest.

It would be interesting to know the 'real' law on this and exactly what our rights are. I'm sure some will say it doesn't matter what our rights are if the Police ask us to do something. I disagree, it does matter to me.

Don't you imagine the "real law" is written so vaguely so as to allow the police to interpret it as they so chose?

Upon arrival, and after I leave the BKK airport I realize my rights Embassy-wise are only to be afforded the same legal process given Thai citizens. I think I have few if any legal rights in Thailand.

"It would be interesting to know the 'real' law on this and exactly what our rights are. I'm sure some will say it doesn't matter what our rights are if the Police ask us to do something. I disagree, it does matter to me."

What the hell would I do if they stopped me?! I'm a woman... blink.png

If they actually asked me to do such a thing I'd piss ON them. whistling.gif

Women are routinely tested. They have an area assigned for this and female police officers. At night, they're often more interested in testing women (especially Thai women) who they think may be bar workers, as drug users are common among them.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Another assault to the reality distortion field that is Thailand.

If I could change one single thing in Thailand and I am not holding my breath

Is the need for a independent judicial system so that individuals and groups could sue the Govt to force them to follow law.

Wild fantasy I know.

When I start, I can't stop. Can I get more than 1 bottle? sad.png

No, they'll then fine you for urinating in a public place...

Or, like a friend of mine in the UK you might find yourself asking a judge for leniency and that they take at least 364 other occasions this year into consideration...

Edited by richard_smith237

Refusing a drug test in Thailand is like pleading guilty. That counts for blowing in the bag as well.

For westerners if positive on the test you pay 10.000 Baht fine, your home will be searched, and you'll get a warning. If you can't pay its 50 days in prison. And get ready for questions like where and how you bought it and consumed it.

Caught a second time (idiot) you'll get 1 year probation. Same 10.000 or 50 days prison.

Caught a 3rd time (major moron), its prison and deportation, + 3-5 years Blacklist.

Don't believe me? Ask any police man.

Thonglor Soi 20 leading into Soi 23 is the prime spot for pee-testing and general stop-and-searches,

at all times of the day.

- Assuming they find nothing on you, they'll demand to go to your room for further searches (happened to a friend)

Needless to say, it's advisable to tell them that you don't live in the area or Bangkok for that matter

How does Thonglor Soi 20 lead into 23 ??

Anyway if you like to do drugs it's better to stay at home for a couple of days instead of wandering the streets.

Don't you imagine the "real law" is written so vaguely so as to allow the police to interpret it as they so chose?

Upon arrival, and after I leave the BKK airport I realize my rights Embassy-wise are only to be afforded the same legal process given Thai citizens. I think I have few if any legal rights in Thailand.

"It would be interesting to know the 'real' law on this and exactly what our rights are. I'm sure some will say it doesn't matter what our rights are if the Police ask us to do something. I disagree, it does matter to me."

He isn't looking to rely on his imagination, is he?

That's why he'd be interested in knowing the letter of the law since the production of a lawyer's business card often causes police interest in extorting foreigners to evaporate rather suddenly.

It's worth bearing in mind that certain OTC medications - things as inocuous as nasal decongestants - that I brought over from the UK could cause a false positive as their sale is banned in Thailand.

I really wish people would stop speculating that this is even against the law in theory - why would you think that?

But it's true that that issue is irrelevant to whether or not the police can do it.

And there's no question that the vast majority of Thais support it, and don't give a stuff about your feelings about individual "rights" about something like this.

There just isn't any tradition of or support for such a concept here - those with the gold and the guns make the rules and everyone accepts that as the way the world should work, except some idealistic academics influenced by the decadent west.

Let it lie, get over it, get used to it and if this is really news to you you'd be advised to adjust your behavior accordingly.

And don't count on the cash in your pocket getting you off, sometimes they're charged with really making an example of a group of foreigners for the papers and the boss cares more about that than the baksheesh income that day and you're hosed.

IMO easier just to stay clean. . .

• Like 2

Refusing a drug test in Thailand is like pleading guilty. That counts for blowing in the bag as well.

For westerners if positive on the test you pay 10.000 Baht fine, your home will be searched, and you'll get a warning. If you can't pay its 50 days in prison. And get ready for questions like where and how you bought it and consumed it.

Caught a second time (idiot) you'll get 1 year probation. Same 10.000 or 50 days prison.

Caught a 3rd time (major moron), its prison and deportation, + 3-5 years Blacklist.

Don't believe me? Ask any police man.

Got told for a Thai: 5000 Baht cash...no receipt no house search (unless the police need more money)

at all times of the day.

How does Thonglor Soi 20 lead into 23 ??

Anyway if you like to do drugs it's better to stay at home for a couple of days instead of wandering the streets.

http://goo.gl/maps/9s37I

Anyone who have a clue about what the Thai law say about personal intrusion like this from the police. Hardly a matter of suspicion if they stop all bypassing on a soi.

No need for suspicion, any where any time arbitrary search and seizure, including body cavity is no problem here.

What happen if your test is still positive for marijuana... this because you smoked some joints -a few days ago- in an Amsterdam coffee shop ?!?

Should I keep a receipt from the cafe as a proof that I did drugs... but oversea and in a complete legality ?!?

I usually travel to BKK via Amsterdam and take a coffeeshop break during the layover , this is scary you might get arrested for something you have done legally in another country.. maybe they should now hand out leaflets before you board an airplan to LOS that you might end up deported if you smoked a joint in the past weeks.

-

Carrying traces in your bloodstream is possession and punishable.

Possible if you showed enough evidence you'd get a lighter sentence if the judge was in a good mood, but it wouldn't get you off.

Keep in mind in reality the punishment for mass tourist arrests is just deportation, not that big a deal as long as the odds remain low.

But there are times when they're sweeping all the night spots week after week, certainly better to lie low when that's going on if you're taking your chances.

That's why he'd be interested in knowing the letter of the law since the production of a lawyer's business card often causes police interest in extorting foreigners to evaporate rather suddenly.

It's worth bearing in mind that certain OTC medications - things as inocuous as nasal decongestants - that I brought over from the UK could cause a false positive as their sale is banned in Thailand.

This is worrying. Could someone provide a definitive list of which OTC medications could be a problem?

I meant Thonglor Soi 20 leading into Ekamai Soi 23.

I don't indulge in any recreational drugs whatsoever, but have been pee-tested before in Thonglo Soi 20, in the exact same circumstances as the OP.

This is worrying. Could someone provide a definitive list of which OTC medications could be a problem?

I imagine that would be a challenge to provide a full list, but a starting point would be any medication with ephedrine or pseudoephedrine. Both now banned for sale in Thailand as were used as a precursor when manufacturing YaBa or meth. The tablets were being imported in the billions, mainly from China, for on shipping to illegal drug labs for processing.

No need to over react, but shit does happen...

Edited by simple1

Yes the media would hold of it and call you Hi-so and the story would run and run in the paper and on the internet, but not in your favour. Whether you are guilty or not.

hi-so? I ain't Thai

I meant Thonglor Soi 20 leading into Ekamai Soi 23.

I don't indulge in any recreational drugs whatsoever, but have been pee-tested before in Thonglo Soi 20, in the exact same circumstances as the OP.

In the end it’s a hassle even if you don’t take drugs because depending upon the police’s mood there’s always the potential of a

shake down.

Maybe some entrepreneurial spirit can set up some sort of twiiter feed where the various checkpoints around town can be posted and

updated.