Anti-Drug Test By Pissing In The Soi

lusty

Funny that in all my time in Thailand I have never been harassed by a cop, nor do I know anyone that has. In fact I rarely see them venture outside of their air conditioned booth

Knock on wood, eh?

Depends on how you look i suppose and if you drive (except in this thread) or luck?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Balance of power between the law enforcement agencies and the individual is much more in favour of the former here when compared to Western Europe. Related to this, it is difficult for the individual to enforce rights here when law enforcement agencies ignore the law. If possible, develop relationships with people you can call on when needed.

Hehehe, you're signature is: "Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!"

You just removed any doubt!

-

Perhaps I missed something, but I don't see any substantive meaning in this post, just a general expression of contempt.

It would be more constructive if you would point out what is incorrect in simple1's post, and provide us with your version of more accurate facts.

I don't know what witje78 derided in my post, but assuming it was in regard to the massive amounts of cold tablets being illegally imported into Thailand I have posted a news report below. We are not permitted to post links to BKK Post, but they had an article that went into a lot more detail, including allegations Thai hospitals were selling large quantities to drug gangs for processing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/04/26/thailand-extends-methamphetamine-probe-to-overseas/

Edited by simple1

Funny that in all my time in Thailand I have never been harassed by a cop, nor do I know anyone that has. In fact I rarely see them venture outside of their air conditioned booth

Knock on wood, eh?

Depends on how you look i suppose and if you drive (except in this thread) or luck?

I've traveled by foot, bicycle, motorbike, bus, car, train, place, boat all over Thailand for 17 years, day and night, sober and pissed as a Lord. I've been pulled over twice for not wearing a helmet and paid 100 baht each time. That is it. I reckon 90% of the stories on this forum are fantasy.

• Like 2

Knock on wood, eh?

I've traveled by foot, bicycle, motorbike, bus, car, train, place, boat all over Thailand for 17 years, day and night, sober and pissed as a Lord. I've been pulled over twice for not wearing a helmet and paid 100 baht each time. That is it. I reckon 90% of the stories on this forum are fantasy.

-

Yes it's a very rare occurence, but players shouldn't be unrealistic about the reality of it when the sweeps do come up.

I suspect if your 17-year playground was concentrated on club-based nightlife you'd have a different story to tell, in my early years here I was caught up twice, used to party in BKK 25+ nights a month.

Knock on wood, eh?

-

Yes it's a very rare occurence, but players shouldn't be unrealistic about the reality of it when the sweeps do come up.

I suspect if your 17-year playground was concentrated on club-based nightlife you'd have a different story to tell, in my early years here I was caught up twice, used to party in BKK 25+ nights a month.

Agree. However, I have known some people that have taken huge risks over a long period, yet still have had no issues with the police. It just doesn't happen like it is portrayed in this forum. Together with the gun brigade, it is all just wind and piss

kurnell, on 26 Mar 2013 - 22:31, said:

Agree. However, I have known some people that have taken huge risks over a long period, yet still have had no issues with the police. It just doesn't happen like it is portrayed in this forum. Together with the gun brigade, it is all just wind and piss

-

I think many also greatly underestimate the importance of lady luck's role in our fates, some seem to be consistently unlucky, others just as consistently lucky, most probably influenced by attitude and planning.

But for most the occasional lightning bolt does strike good or bad right out of the blue, no pattern or reason behind it, just time for our number to come up, meeting a magical SO or catching the big C, caught up in a piss test or winning the lottery, miracles do happen but you can't count on them either way.

• Like 1

kurnell, on 26 Mar 2013 - 22:31, said:

-

I think many also greatly underestimate the importance of lady luck's role in our fates, some seem to be consistently unlucky, others just as consistently lucky, most probably influenced by attitude and planning.

But for most the occasional lightning bolt does strike good or bad right out of the blue, no pattern or reason behind it, just time for our number to come up, meeting a magical SO or catching the big C, caught up in a piss test or winning the lottery, miracles do happen but you can't count on them either way.

Luck? Nonsense. There is no such thing as luck, just stupidity and common sense.

but what if one day you actually did something wrong and faced jail time?

then Thai corruption would be your savior.

there is a reason why police corruption is so common in this country and it is NOT because the police have carte blanch

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 1

but what if one day you actually did something wrong and faced jail time?

then Thai corruption would be your savior.

there is a reason why police corruption is so common in this country and it is NOT because the police have carte blanch

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

So true. Corruption, lack of political correctness, unenforced rules and the differences from life in the West are reasons why many enjoy living here.

What on earth is a magical SO? Standing Order from your bank account. Nothing magical there, absolutely commonplace.

Big C is a supermarket. You cannot "catch" Big C. I would lay off the hard stuff if I were you, you're talking gibberish, man.

What on earth is a magical SO? Standing Order from your bank account. Nothing magical there, absolutely commonplace.

Big C is a supermarket. You cannot "catch" Big C. I would lay off the hard stuff if I were you, you're talking gibberish, man.

-

Sorry thought these were commonly used expressions.

SO - significant other

the big C - cancer

IMO luck can play a significant role in our encounters with either.

don't embarrass them in the soi, your test will come back positive.

I would have dropped my pants all the way to my ankles, faced everyone and taken the test, this may change how things are done in the future.

Sure you would, about the same time green monkeys fly out of my ass

So what if the test becomes positive because of smoking weed or sniffing coke back in your home country but not in Thailand? Let's say because you are a Tourist.

How to explain/get out of that?

For pretty easy example: You are a citizen of the Netherlands or any other country where Cannabis is legal.

So what if the test becomes positive because of smoking weed or sniffing coke back in your home country but not in Thailand? Let's say because you are a Tourist.

How to explain/get out of that?

For pretty easy example: You are a citizen of the Netherlands or any other country where Cannabis is legal.

-

Already covered earlier the thread.

In theory, no excuse, you have smuggled the substance within your bloodstream and are in possession within the Kingdom.

In practice you may well have the opportunity to negotiate a reduced punishment.

Such an intrusion makes many people insecure to walk freely. Just because they can't find a better way to prevent drug usage doesn't mean to go with the easy way and stop everybody in the street to take urine from them. Overly non-friendly!

You won't get much sympathy here, most TVers are of the hang-em-high persuasion, and the Thais really don't want to be "friendly" or not intrusive for drug users, they definitely want them to feel insecure, that's the whole point.

And really this doesn't happen often, if you're really concerned about it just ensure your system's clear while you're in the LoS and no worries!

Or feel free to not come in the first place now you know, believe or not most everyone will be just fine with that. Except all the cops involved in the biz whistling.gif

• 9 months later...

How did this thread get so off topic...

He's specifically asking about marijuana, something that is more casual than alcohol in a lot of places, and he's smart enough to refrain from it in Thailand.

The thing's I'd really appreciate knowing is:

1. So are they urine testing for marijuana in Thailand or not? So much talk about hard-drugs I can't even tell anymore.

2. How long should you refrain from smoking for weed not to appear on a urine test?

3. As a tourist who tested positive, would you be deported, or locked up? (Specifically for weed, not meth or anything else)

4. If 3.'s answer is 'locked up', for how long and how many ppl has this happened to? (again, marijuana specifically)

5. What are the chances of having drugs planted on you? What amount of money are you expected to pay as the bribe?

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me out.

How did this thread get so off topic...

He's specifically asking about marijuana, something that is more casual than alcohol in a lot of places, and he's smart enough to refrain from it in Thailand.

The thing's I'd really appreciate knowing is:

1. So are they urine testing for marijuana in Thailand or not? So much talk about hard-drugs I can't even tell anymore.

2. How long should you refrain from smoking for weed not to appear on a urine test?

3. As a tourist who tested positive, would you be deported, or locked up? (Specifically for weed, not meth or anything else)

4. If 3.'s answer is 'locked up', for how long and how many ppl has this happened to? (again, marijuana specifically)

5. What are the chances of having drugs planted on you? What amount of money are you expected to pay as the bribe?

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me out.

Talk about resurrecting a zombie thread!

Among most Thais, and certainly within the legal system, marijuana isn't considered "more acceptable" than other illegal drugs.

The chances of your getting randomly piss-tested are very very low, in 2000 nights of clubbing in Bangkok it only happened to me twice.

Worst-case scenario if you aren't actually carrying is deportation, turn around and come right back in.

#5 is IMO really paranoid unless you're messing around in illegal activities, pissing off police/mafia types.

If you are buying from strangers in bars, especially in backpacker-tourist places, your dealer may trade you to his BIB friends, going rate seems to be 30-100K THB, lower end only if deal with things quickly, not yet brought to the station dealing only with the low-ranking plod, AND you're very convincing they won't be able to get more.

Hope this helps.

This proves that the police are doing a good job.

What I would do in that situation is cooperate with the police rather than telling them no pee and to pee off and refuse.

Providing you abide by the laws then you have nothing to fear. Get caught with drugs, dealing or taking, then you`re owned, it`s that simple.

The jail houses here are stacked wall to wall with farang inhabitants incarcerated for drug offenses, many serving life sentences.

The jails filled with falang on drug sentences does nothing to validate your position. And there is nothing "simple" about being "owned" because of a failed test.

Have you heard of the pharmaceutical Marinol taken for pain? I'm not smoking pot, I'm taking a pill prescribed by a medical doctor...but that pill will show up as pot in my blood and even with a prescription, the laws of Thailand could find me guilty of using a "drug" that's on their banned list. So you see, it's not really that "simple" at all.

And please refrain from "then stay out of Thailand" comments. Half my family lives, works / holds office and contributes positively to Thailand.. ..as have I for better than 50 trips in 25 years. I don't drink or engage in nefarious activity. I conduct myself as a gentleman and add to Thailand's economy.. but I take a prescribed pill that could land me in jail. I don't think there's anything simple about it and your dismissive attitude suggests something simple about you.

• Like 1

What I would do in that situation is cooperate with the police rather than telling them no pee and to pee off and refuse.

Providing you abide by the laws then you have nothing to fear. Get caught with drugs, dealing or taking, then you`re owned, it`s that simple.

The jail houses here are stacked wall to wall with farang inhabitants incarcerated for drug offenses, many serving life sentences.

The jails filled with falang on drug sentences does nothing to validate your position. And there is nothing "simple" about being "owned" because of a failed test.

Have you heard of the pharmaceutical Marinol taken for pain? I'm not smoking pot, I'm taking a pill prescribed by a medical doctor...but that pill will show up as pot in my blood and even with a prescription, the laws of Thailand could find me guilty of using a "drug" that's on their banned list. So you see, it's not really that "simple" at all.

And please refrain from "then stay out of Thailand" comments. Half my family lives, works / holds office and contributes positively to Thailand.. ..as have I for better than 50 trips in 25 years. I don't drink or engage in nefarious activity. I conduct myself as a gentleman and add to Thailand's economy.. but I take a prescribed pill that could land me in jail. I don't think there's anything simple about it and your dismissive attitude suggests something simple about you.

Marinol

Treats or prevents nausea and vomiting caused by cancer medicines, when other medicines do not work. Also used to increase the appetite of people with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).

Claiming this medication is for "pain" is likely a distortion of the truth.

If this medication is indeed prescribed and legally imported to Thailand

http://www.thaiconsulate.se/img/document/GuidanceForTravelers.pdf

It is very unlikely that a problem in its legal use would be encountered.

Those who choose not to adhere to this advise put themselves at risk.

Marinol

Treats or prevents nausea and vomiting caused by cancer medicines, when other medicines do not work. Also used to increase the appetite of people with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).

I appreciate the link. The definition of a medication I've used for over 10 years? not as much.

And just who are you calling a liar...me or my doctor? I have back pain, he prescribes the Marinol for that pain and has practiced medicine for over 30 years.

Edited by metisdead

kurnell, on 19 Mar 2013 - 06:20, said:

Being a local business man, member of 6 chambers of commerce, and ex-director of 2 chambers of commerce I would happily sit at Thonglor police station and wait for the media to get a hold of the story so that the police can explain why people are being harassed in the middle of the day by corrupt police trying to extort money.

what media should be interested in that? Thai media are in favor of that.

Source?

Marinol

I appreciate the link. The definition of a medication I've used for over 10 years? not as much.

And just who are you calling a liar...me or my doctor? I have back pain, he prescribes the Marinol for that pain and has practiced medicine for over 30 years.

Instead of getting the knickers in a twist why not just post a professional link/information which indicates that medication is used for "back pain" ? By doing that I would be grateful as my knowledge would be improved

Unless you have indeed got specific permission to import that medication by possessing / using you are in violation of Thai law.

Perhaps next time you seek information, ask politely, as opposed to accusing someone of distorting truth. A much more civil method...do you disagree?

I note , with great civility, a failure to post a valid link that confirms Marinol is a medication licensed for the treatment of "back pain"

I also note a failure to confirm that this medication was legally imported into Thailand !smile.png

Happy New Year "Sir" wai2.gif