Private Co Wants Share Of Traffic Fines

source/ The Nation Mar 10/2006

Firm offers traffic gear for share of fines

A private company is prepared to invest Bt3 billion to install a high-technology traffic device nationwide in exchange for half the traffic fines, its managing director Nithikorn Piama said yesterday.

The idea was greeted enthusiastically by a traffic police chief who said, however, that the share of the fines would have to be negotiated.

Tenix Traffic Solutions (Thailand) Co Ltd has offered to invest Bt3 billion to install its Safe T Cam speed-detection device and Axis Red Light Cameras nationwide if the Royal Thai Police and the government were interested in signing a long-term contract with the company, giving it 50 per cent of the fines, Nithikorn said.

Traffic Police Commander Maj-General Panu Kerdlappol said he agreed with the idea in principle, but to let a private company run the scheme and receive half the fines would require an amendment to the traffic laws.

"If implemented, conflicts between the police and motorists would be reduced," Panu said, adding that the requested share would be difficult to manage.

Currently 50 per cent of the fine goes to the municipality or local administrative organisation, while 30 per cent goes to the officer who made the arrest. The remainder goes to related units supporting the arrest, Panu said.

"If we give half to the company, the officer and those supporting the arrest would get nothing," he added.

Deputy Commander Colonel Somsak Pathumrak said he agreed with the idea of installing the high-tech devices nationwide, but said amendments to the law would take a long time.

He said city police had installed traffic light cameras and other devices to detect law-breaking motorists in the city's 30 main intersections. He said they would come into use next year.

Nithikorn said Safe T Cam had a laser to detect speed at a distance and infrared to detect it at close range and could be installed in cars or be hand held. The 12-million pixel Axis Red Light Cameras had sensors that would detect cars going through a red traffic light and record all vehicles using the intersection, transmitting images to the Traffic Control Centre via high-speed internet.

The devices had been used in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom and New Zealand, Nithikorn said.

He said the company has also developed a payment system to help people pay their fines by phone, counter services, post and the Internet.

source/ The Nation Mar 10/2006

Firm offers traffic gear for share of fines

A private company is prepared to invest Bt3 billion to install a high-technology traffic device nationwide in exchange for half the traffic fines, its managing director Nithikorn Piama said yesterday.

The idea was greeted enthusiastically by a traffic police chief who said, however, that the share of the fines would have to be negotiated.

Tenix Traffic Solutions (Thailand) Co Ltd has offered to invest Bt3 billion to install its Safe T Cam speed-detection device and Axis Red Light Cameras nationwide if the Royal Thai Police and the government were interested in signing a long-term contract with the company, giving it 50 per cent of the fines, Nithikorn said.

Traffic Police Commander Maj-General Panu Kerdlappol said he agreed with the idea in principle, but to let a private company run the scheme and receive half the fines would require an amendment to the traffic laws.

"If implemented, conflicts between the police and motorists would be reduced," Panu said, adding that the requested share would be difficult to manage.

Currently 50 per cent of the fine goes to the municipality or local administrative organisation, while 30 per cent goes to the officer who made the arrest. The remainder goes to related units supporting the arrest, Panu said.

"If we give half to the company, the officer and those supporting the arrest would get nothing," he added.

Deputy Commander Colonel Somsak Pathumrak said he agreed with the idea of installing the high-tech devices nationwide, but said amendments to the law would take a long time.

He said city police had installed traffic light cameras and other devices to detect law-breaking motorists in the city's 30 main intersections. He said they would come into use next year.

Nithikorn said Safe T Cam had a laser to detect speed at a distance and infrared to detect it at close range and could be installed in cars or be hand held. The 12-million pixel Axis Red Light Cameras had sensors that would detect cars going through a red traffic light and record all vehicles using the intersection, transmitting images to the Traffic Control Centre via high-speed internet.

The devices had been used in Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom and New Zealand, Nithikorn said.

He said the company has also developed a payment system to help people pay their fines by phone, counter services, post and the Internet.

This would have to be listed as an early April fools Post!! - can you imagine the answers/questions such as:

What do you mean he lives in Udon Thani how can that be his licence shows Petchburi - yes but his Tabien Bann indicates place of residence as Ban Bua Thong - Where do we contact Mr Somchai or is it really Mr Yuvannit since he had his sex change operation.

Oh so Mrs Somchai owns the car but her brothers, sons wife who has a sick buffalo was driving to the hospital/Vets - he has a motor bike licence but not one for a car - and normally catches the bus but will be taking a Tuk Tuk from now on.

What red light I couldn't see it properly because I didn't have my headlight turned on as it (the headlight) attracts stray dogs and I find it much safer to ride in the dark carrying my helmet to ward off those pesky dogs - could you clraify what side of the road was the traffic light on - ah there you go I thought that was only for the motorists riding up the wrong side.

Tid you say it was designed by Tenix Solutions - no wonder it has sent me the infringement notice i applied for a job there as a gardener they must have pressed the incorrect cross reference key anyway I was fairly well under the weather that week and can't remember if it was me or another one of the villagers or possibly some who asked for a lift that week who was driving.

Payment what is that???I handed the car back in last month check with my brother he dropped it off for me.

Edited by mijan24

You mean the police are just going to stop doing random speed checks?

Hmm, they say a similar system is used in a few other countries. I think those countries actually have signs reminding you how fast you should be going. Thailand has next to none - they will have to spend millions of baht putting up signs.

What about bikes - does the system work for them as well?

It's time to invest in that stuff you spray over your car number plate so the speed cameras can't pick them up :o

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

You mean the police are just going to stop doing random speed checks?

Hmm, they say a similar system is used in a few other countries. I think those countries actually have signs reminding you how fast you should be going. Thailand has next to none - they will have to spend millions of baht putting up signs.

What about bikes - does the system work for them as well?

It's time to invest in that stuff you spray over your car number plate so the speed cameras can't pick them up :D

TDSK Actually it may open or rather expand the business of making number plates - one for each day of the week imagine the clerk sending out the infringement notices :D and that is at the end of week (1).

:o:D:D

Not going to happen. We are all too happy to pay the small bribe to the officer. Can you imagine a private company "maximizing" their profits on car violations ? they will make up new rules just to increase revenues.

What a disgraceful system. Only the US or the UK would go with such a terrible system as they take their population for milk cows

Not going to happen. We are all too happy to pay the small bribe to the officer. Can you imagine a private company "maximizing" their profits on car violations ? they will make up new rules just to increase revenues.

What a disgraceful system. Only the US or the UK would go with such a terrible system as they take their population for milk cows

Add Australia and New Zealand to that list.BTW, where are you from Butterfly?

Add Singapore to the list too. They have speed cameras everywhere, as well as cameras on every street leading into the Central Business Districts... Orchard and Robinson Roads, where you must pay a fee via a minature ATM inside your car that is zapped when you drive under the gantry.

If your card doesn't have enough value, they take your picture and send you a ticket!

In 27 years driving in Thailand I have found 100% going to the officer making the arrest, not 30%. They will not be happy with this cut in income, and having your "illegal" act on camera will not be a help :o

Police officer actually gets sweet FA of the cash you give. It gets passed up the food chain, to the bigger bosses. Good earners get promoted - and out of traffic duty.