Squat Toilets To Be Scrapped In A Bid To End Knee-Arthritis, Boost Tourism: Thailand

webfact

<deleted>??? clap2.gif

Yes....finally something sensible to boost tourism!

Never mind the scams and the riots, the flood or the rapes!

having a quiet and seated dump, is what the tourists want!

...seriously (pun intended): you couldn't make this sh1t up, even if you tried very , very hard!

Right Doc. I am expecting in the very near future a poll from TAT with results of foreigners that place taking a shit in the top five priorities for choosing a country to vacation in.

Is that the reason, they put those artsy theme- loos into Swampy???

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thais are born to squat. Their knee junctions differ from the farang ones.

They can sit/squat on their 'flat' feet for hours and it's okay.

Still worries me that at least quite some people will take this serious.

Are you serious? You think their knees are different?

The only difference is that for Thais (and many other nationalities) it's customary to sit on their haunches while doing daily activities and they start doing it from around the age of 1 when they first start to walk. Westerners are encouraged to sit on chairs so they don't have the same flexibility and therefore tend to have difficulty with it.

... and yes, going to the toilet is very serious business.laugh.png

Edited by tropo

I can see the next promo from TAT. "come to Thailand where you can dump your load in style"

Unfortunately, that would also be open to misinterpretation as an incitement to sex tourism, which is definitely NOT what Thailand aspires to be (officially).

• Like 1

This is so stupid! Why is everyone so eager to believe the government?

The westernization of Thailand... too bad. welcome the modern world diseases!

For the knowledge, the squat toilet provides so many health benefits. It does not cause arthritis at all.

It's the best position for defecating, it leaves the rectus in the position for best bowel movement.

It does provides so many benefits, such such as prevention of Hemorrhoids, Hernia, prostate disorders, colon disorders, constipation, color cancer, and even some say it prevents prostate cancer.

if you dont believe, just google for "Squat toilet prevents hemorrhoid and benefits" http://www.naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

I'm a Farang and I only use squat toilets for the sake of my health. it's the natural position of human to do it... if you care about your health, install a squat toilet in your house.

so, Now this stupid government which does not understand sh*t about anything, believes it will generate more money from tourism and sacrifice the health of Thais if there is not squat toilets. how stupid can people be...

PS: what is causing arthritis to Thais are the excess of Calcium in the new unhealthy diet.

Ah,the earlier physician was wrong then? Not protein excess but calcium? Thanks. No more milk or yoghurt for me.

• Like 2

Oh dear, now there will be a big increase of pregnances.

In my boyhood days I remember my mother warning my 5 sisters NOT to sit on the toilet seat anywhere away from home as you can get pregnant.

The tourists will come flocking to Issan if the farm families get this update.

That artritis is the best joke i have heard in yonks, I have it, and we never had squat toilets. In fact we had a dilly cart type toilet, where they lifted the large can out and took the contents away. And we had PILE Cutters, squares of glossy mags to use as toilet paper, I suppose I got arthritis from them.

Should put another million on the tourist numbers.

And a few million to the toilet makers and all govt hi so's that thought of this idea----------dont kid yourself. All that crap about knee joints and tourists has nothing to do with it !!!!!

• Like 1

Yes, that's true Tropo - apparently squatting is the best way, there was even a book published on the subject (can't remember the title) - I'm surprised that it's linked to arthritis - like 'wwex' wrote, Thais squat for lots of reasons; commonly I've seen eating and washing dishes - I'd say it long-term squatting that does the knees in, not using the toilet.

That's right. Unfortunately once you have arthritis in the knee the full squat becomes problematic. I can't easily full squat anymore because of arthritis, but I keep the height of the toilet as low as possible by not using the toilet seat. Even those few inches makes a big difference. Standing on blocks is another way to bring the height down for people with bad knees.

I can't understand why anyone would want to sit in a smelly bathroom reading a book. The job should be done within 15 - 20 seconds at most.

You obviously never watched the old Archie Bunker shows or Married with children. It's American to read in the loo. I've never been comfortable doing the squat dump. Even out in the bushes back in my Vietnam days. I was raised out in the country where we had an 2 hole outhouse until I was probably 8 or 9. Give me a comfortable seat anyday thank you. And you can shove your bum guns up your bum, thank you very much.. This emotican says it all for me. coffee1.gif

Arthritis from the practice of squatting over the toilet???!!!............Give me a break.....It takes alot more joint abuse than toilet squating to develope arthritis....Now I can see already having arthritis already and agravating the issue from squatting...who comes up with this ridiculous stuff?

The article does not claim it is only squat toilets that cause arthritis in the knees. It assumes that most people realize that and it was not worth mentioning.

I have had to install a western style toilet for my 86 year old mother in law as she could not use the squat toilet any more.

The number of times I have seen Thais using there knees makes me wonder why the problem is not more wide spread. As for squatting on sit down toilets well hire trainable girls.

The article says that upgrading the toilets will END knee-related arthritis. It therefore follows that using squat toilets is the only cause - according to the article. The article also says... "Deputy Public Health Minister Cholanan Srikaew said that squat toilets are a major contributor to osteoarthritis in the knee." So not sure where you got your info from.

This is so stupid! Why is everyone so eager to believe the government?

The westernization of Thailand... too bad. welcome the modern world diseases!

For the knowledge, the squat toilet provides so many health benefits. It does not cause arthritis at all.

It's the best position for defecating, it leaves the rectus in the position for best bowel movement.

It does provides so many benefits, such such as prevention of Hemorrhoids, Hernia, prostate disorders, colon disorders, constipation, color cancer, and even some say it prevents prostate cancer.

if you dont believe, just google for "Squat toilet prevents hemorrhoid and benefits" http://www.naturesplatform.com/health_benefits.html

I'm a Farang and I only use squat toilets for the sake of my health. it's the natural position of human to do it... if you care about your health, install a squat toilet in your house.

so, Now this stupid government which does not understand sh*t about anything, believes it will generate more money from tourism and sacrifice the health of Thais if there is not squat toilets. how stupid can people be...

PS: what is causing arthritis to Thais are the excess of Calcium in the new unhealthy diet.

Ah,the earlier physician was wrong then? Not protein excess but calcium? Thanks. No more milk or yoghurt for me.

Too much protein, too much calcium....they state these causes with so much confidence, as though there's never been any doubt.

I have a lot of protein and calcium in my diet - now I know with certainly why I have osteoarthritis in my knees.

Yes, that's true Tropo - apparently squatting is the best way, there was even a book published on the subject (can't remember the title) - I'm surprised that it's linked to arthritis - like 'wwex' wrote, Thais squat for lots of reasons; commonly I've seen eating and washing dishes - I'd say it long-term squatting that does the knees in, not using the toilet.

That's right. Unfortunately once you have arthritis in the knee the full squat becomes problematic. I can't easily full squat anymore because of arthritis, but I keep the height of the toilet as low as possible by not using the toilet seat. Even those few inches makes a big difference. Standing on blocks is another way to bring the height down for people with bad knees.

I can't understand why anyone would want to sit in a smelly bathroom reading a book. The job should be done within 15 - 20 seconds at most.

You obviously never watched the old Archie Bunker shows or Married with children. It's American to read in the loo. I've never been comfortable doing the squat dump. Even out in the bushes back in my Vietnam days. I was raised out in the country where we had an 2 hole outhouse until I was probably 8 or 9. Give me a comfortable seat anyday thank you. And you can shove your bum guns up your bum, thank you very much.. This emotican says it all for me. coffee1.gif

Who's talking about bum guns? You could probably use a good crap.

Yes, I have watched Archie bunker and Married with children many times. (I have no idea why you thought my comments indicated I had never watched the shows). I know why people read in the toilet - which is pretty obvious - because bowl elimination is very sluggish. I used to do it myself before I understood how the bowls are supposed to work. it is certainly not an American thing... that's just plain ignorance... they do it all over the world.

Edited by tropo

someone doesn't know squat about arthritis or osteoporosis. Arthritis is not from heavy usage of the joints, how many times a day can someone squat, unless of course they are having a meeting. This deterioration of the joints and bones is from eating too much protein. will it be good for tourists? absolutely. but to blame poor joints on squatting pans is nothing short of ridiculous.

How many times a day can someone squat? You're obviously not a woman...

Arthritis from the practice of squatting over the toilet???!!!............Give me a break.....It takes alot more joint abuse than toilet squating to develope arthritis....Now I can see already having arthritis already and agravating the issue from squatting...who comes up with this ridiculous stuff?

The article does not claim it is only squat toilets that cause arthritis in the knees. It assumes that most people realize that and it was not worth mentioning.

I have had to install a western style toilet for my 86 year old mother in law as she could not use the squat toilet any more.

The number of times I have seen Thais using there knees makes me wonder why the problem is not more wide spread. As for squatting on sit down toilets well hire trainable girls.

The article says that upgrading the toilets will END knee-related arthritis. It therefore follows that using squat toilets is the only cause - according to the article. The article also says... "Deputy Public Health Minister Cholanan Srikaew said that squat toilets are a major contributor to osteoarthritis in the knee." So not sure where you got your info from.

I disagree with that hypothesis. As I said in my reply Thais squat for many other things. But I do not believe any one of them is the cause. I believe it is caused by a combination of factors. I read once where it was to much calcium. Not exactly sure of what high calcium product is consumed in large quantities here in Thailand.

I do know that my mother in law could no longer use a squat toilet because of her knees.

I have a feeling most people posting on this thread are man as all assume this squatting is just for shitting! Women sometimes need to pee every hour or so guys... in case you haven't noticed.

And yes it's true that the squat position is better for shitting, but it is very, very bad for the knees, especially if you already have joint problems. If you can't eliminate properly, you can have the best of both worlds by using a sit-down toilet and placing your feet on a small chair when you poo. Problem solved!

thumbsup.gif

someone doesn't know squat about arthritis or osteoporosis. Arthritis is not from heavy usage of the joints, how many times a day can someone squat, unless of course they are having a meeting. This deterioration of the joints and bones is from eating too much protein. will it be good for tourists? absolutely. but to blame poor joints on squatting pans is nothing short of ridiculous.

How many times a day can someone squat? You're obviously not a woman...

I wonder how healthy it is when one has to take a power dump and is about 8 inches above the target.

• Like 1

Really? No Shit?

Apparently, if you sit instead of squat this could well be your problem. So, like the good doctors on this board keep saying, elongate your bowel by squatting and you too can say "Really! Yes Shit!"

Edited by johnsonspot

I developed tendonitis around my knee (not from using the squat toilet), so I got one of those handicap toilet seats mounted on a rolling frame, to roll over the squatter in the building where I spend a good part of my day. Perfect fit, although probably not for all installations. For traveling, it can still be difficult, but I can usually find a sitter along the way.

Monstrous! The principal lure to my settling in Thailand were the squat toilets. The satisfying splash, the early morning chilled water thrown about one's hinderparts with the aid of one of those delightful blue plastic bowls, the swarms of insects, the wolf spiders beadily inspecting one's bare neck from a corner of the ceiling, the unsteadily poured bucket, the throttled sound of the water engaging with the pipes. Ah. I have even installed one in my house.

This article is the biggest load of crap (pardon the pun).

The reality of the situation is that a very large number of people develop knee arthritis once they are over 40 years old, in most countries, regardless if the take a dump sitting or squatting.

Check out the stats for arthritis in the US:

http://www.cdc.gov/arthritis/data_statistics/arthritis_related_stats.htm

"Nearly 1 in 2 people may develop symptomatic knee OA by age 85 years"

"Two in three people who are obese may develop symptomatic knee OA in their lifetime."

"In 2007–2009, 50% of adults 65 years or older reported an arthritis diagnosis."

6 million elderly people in Thailand having knee arthritis (out of population of around 66 million) seems quite low compared to the US where they usually take a dump sitting on high toilets. If you add the fact that a large percentage of the Thai population spend quite a bit of their life sitting on their haunches I would say that their knee health is probably better than in most developed nations, especially countries such as the US with a large percentage of obese people. Obviously it does become a problem to squat down when the person has arthritis, but it's not the cause of it.

My suggestion would be for people with knee arthritis to stand on 4" - 6" blocks so that they can sit with their thighs below parallel to the floor when they take a dump on a normal toilet bowl. A hand rail will help them get into the lower position.

Edited by tropo

Monstrous! The principal lure to my settling in Thailand were the squat toilets. The satisfying splash, the early morning chilled water thrown about one's hinderparts with the aid of one of those delightful blue plastic bowls, the swarms of insects, the wolf spiders beadily inspecting one's bare neck from a corner of the ceiling, the unsteadily poured bucket, the throttled sound of the water engaging with the pipes. Ah. I have even installed one in my house.

let me guess you let thai install you crapper ?

actually as funny as this all is...physiologically speaking, the proper way that the body should be positioned when doing your business is ....from a standing position, squat, but not all the way down....kind of in a position between standing straight up and your quads being completely horizontal...the reason is because you want to keep the intestinal tract in a more elongated place in order to allow things to move freely down...and let gravity take over ...having to do less pushing and possibly straining yourself (hemmorroids etc)....sitting on a toilet or squatting too far down, can crunch up the intestinal tract in a way to make things alittle more difficult to come out as easy.....

Thank you for the report. I didn't know shit about that, no kidding. tongue.png

So when you follow through it's actually a good thing?

actually as funny as this all is...physiologically speaking, the proper way that the body should be positioned when doing your business is ....from a standing position, squat, but not all the way down....kind of in a position between standing straight up and your quads being completely horizontal...the reason is because you want to keep the intestinal tract in a more elongated place in order to allow things to move freely down...and let gravity take over ...having to do less pushing and possibly straining yourself (hemmorroids etc)....sitting on a toilet or squatting too far down, can crunch up the intestinal tract in a way to make things alittle more difficult to come out as easy.....

That's how I do it on public toilets. Who in their right mind sits down on a toilet bowl in a public toilet anyway? Errgg...the number of germs and bacteria on the toilet bowl are enough to cause major disease and illness. Arthritis or not, squatting (half-way at least) when you're using a public toilet is just one of the inconveniences you have to get used to when you're out and about. If you can't manage to do that, stay home, or wait until you're back home or at your hotel to take a crap.