Fixing Flat Tubeless Motorcycle Tires

connda

When on my Honda Dream and have a flat, I have to find a tire shop to fix it.

I now also have a Lifan with tubeless tires. In the US I'd take this to a full service gas station and have them repaired (plugged). Hate to sound ignorant, but I assume in Thailand that full service gas stations that fix tubeless car tires can also fix tubeless bike tires?

With a 1000cc superbike with tubeless sportsbike tires I will probably not let a guy from a full service gas station near my flat tire....

But with a 100 or 125cc step-through motorcycle the stress on the repaired tire is very much less than what the could be dangerous...

But I only know one gas station that also fixes tires... and the tire guy is actual an independent enterprise... If you ride tubeless in Thailand it's best to have a little tire fixing kit under your seat or in your bag...

agreed , i purchased a tubeless tyre repair kit in Australia last year and have had it under the seat since.

on my last trip to Chiang Mai , i flatted in the middle of nowhere , simply got out the kit, followed the instruction and away i went.

all up it took about 15 minutes.

you can buy these kits in thailand, cheaper than oz, so i found out, but from now on i will always have one on board.

cheers

rob

Another option is to just convert it to a inter tube within the tubeless tire works fine for problem tires for smaller bikes. I don't think I would go that route on a bigger bike although it should work fine doing that as well.

I hate to sound like an idiot, but does it require you to take the tire off, or do you push the plug in from the outside of the tire and then pull it back thru? Opps! OK, just checked their web site. Fixs the tire with the tire on the rim. This is great!

If you get your own kit you don't need a garage!

attachicon.gifCropperCapture7.jpg

Edited by connda

If you get your own kit you don't need a garage!

attachicon.gifCropperCapture7.jpg

I just looked this up online. It's absolutely what I need. Can you find these in Chiang Mai or do you need to order via the Internet?

Many thanks!

Sorry I've been a bit slow getting back, I've been doing business in Bangkok and not keeping up with everything. I bought mine back from Oz. You can order one off the net. I think I paid 29.95 Aussie scholars about 3 years ago for mine. The carbide cylinders can be bought here in LOS....and I am sure the hole plugs can be bought anywhere that do auto parts or tyres.

Most side road bike tyre shops can do it too.

Normal tube tires, yes, but tubeless ones, no(in general).

You need to go to a full garage or a car tire shop and they will normally charge you between 50 - 60 baht.

I have a honda pcx(125 cc).

Not a big problem.

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've since discovered that many of those motorbike spare parts shops (with all the multi coloured bike rims out the front) have them too. 200 Baht for the two tools and 5 plug strips.

I'll look into it. Thank for the info!

I got a good little 12V pump from Lotus for 299 Baht (there were several kinds there)... similar ones on Youtube take about 15 minutes to pump the tyre.

I cut off the cigarette lighter plug and attached two crocodile clips.

It's identical to this one. Though the Slime one above looks pretty cool and compact.

000111201.jpg

Edited by Fullstop

I got a good little 12V pump from Lotus for 299 Baht (there were several kinds there)... similar ones on Youtube take about 15 minutes to pump the tyre.

I cut off the cigarette lighter plug and attached two crocodile clips.

It's identical to this one. Though the Slime one above looks pretty cool and compact.

000111201.jpg

Sweet. Yeah, a tire plug kit and that pump in my saddle bags, and I'd be a lot more confident when heading out into the boon docks. Now I just have to find out how to get to my battery leads. ;)

This guy on Youtube tests out all the different options for inflating a bike tyre on the road. From hand pumps to 12V pumps.

Nice. I'll give it a watch this evening. Thanks!

Slime from Panda Rider also seem to do a tyre sealant that goes inside the tyre and repair's / stops punctures for up to 2 years

Anyone have experience with this as it seems to be a smater way to go, stopping the need to carry stuff and get hands dirty ??

Cheers

Some say it unbalances the wheel. I haven't a clue. But anyway,if you get a screw or nail in your tyre the slime will seal the leak, but you'll still have to pull the nail/screw out sooner or later and plug it. Unless the slime plugs it when you pull the nail??? Sounds a bit dodgey to me.

Edited by Fullstop

Slime from Panda Rider also seem to do a tyre sealant that goes inside the tyre and repair's / stops punctures for up to 2 years

Anyone have experience with this as it seems to be a smater way to go, stopping the need to carry stuff and get hands dirty ??

Cheers

I've used Slime for quick fixing bicycle tires, but not large tubeless tires. Not saying that it won't work, just haven't had any experience with tubeless. The tire plugs are what tire shops use.

Actually, now that I think of it, it might be worth putting slime in my tube tires on my Honda. The stuff seals leaks for months after it's put in your tire. That's why I used it with my bicycle. I use to live in an area with there were ground creeping throne plants that played havoc on bike tires. Slime your tires and punctures auto-seal.

Edited by connda

I'm going to buy some and try it as I have a new Zoomer and their tyres are tubless so we'll see. Living on Samui I'm not far from help if I need it.

The promo video on Panda rider looks impressive as they actually drill a hole in a car tyre filled with Slime and it auto-sealed straight away.

Balance wont be a problem on the smaller wheels and pulling the nail/screw out seems not to be a problem either.

If I dont have a problem before, and when I change the tyre for a new one in 5/6 months then I'll drill a hole in the tyre and see what happens to know for sure.

I ordered the compressor with a kit that included a bottle of 'Slime'- I would still try a plug first, but in an emergency situation it's good to have more options. 8oz (225g) shouldn't be a big problem if it's evenly dispersed through the tire- of course, you can only carry so much stuff with you.

Some say it unbalances the wheel. I haven't a clue. But anyway,if you get a screw or nail in your tyre the slime will seal the leak, but you'll still have to pull the nail/screw out sooner or later and plug it. Unless the slime plugs it when you pull the nail??? Sounds a bit dodgey to me.

Not at all dodgy, BMW recommend an in tyre sealant ( their own overpriced product :) ). I use an alternative to Slime in the tyres of both bike and scooter, it's called Goop. From my own experience it doesn't unbalance the wheel and does indeed seal the leak, and it's main purpose is to slow the rate of deflation so you don't lose control. If you leave the nail or screw in the tyre the sealant forms a seal around it allowing you to get home at a reduced rate of knots. I also carry a tubeless temporary repair kit consisting of wicks rather than mushroom plugs as I find the former more effective. If the hole is quite large you can force two wicks in together to seal it. On the scooter I carry a small 12 volt pump that plugs into an auxiliary socket for inflation. On the bike I carry a mini foot pump which fits under the seat and is surprisingly effective. The wick repair kit I bought in the UK and cost me the equivalent of 250 baht. Of course, if you get a tear in the wall of the tyre it makes no difference what you carry - you're bolloxed.

^ That's good to know.

I'm not leaving for another 2 weeks so I think I'll get a bit of Slime in the tyres as well then.

One thing that had me worried was getting a puncture with rapid deflation and the bead coming off the rim. Would a 12v pump be strong enough to re-seat the bead? Maybe, maybe not. It seems the Slime would prevent all that.

I'd still repair it with a plug at the earliest opportunity though.

Actually I saw a vid on Youtube where a guy was plugging a tyre with Slime in it. You could see it oozing out when he pulled the screw out. (The guy mentioned it too)

I also carry a tubeless temporary repair kit consisting of wicks rather than mushroom plugs as I find the former more effective.

I have the "wick" type too, but mostly because they are cheap and readily available here in Thailand. I disagree with the "temporary" bit though. I've read from many on the net in bike forums etc that the repair lasts for the life of the tyre.

I also carry a tubeless temporary repair kit consisting of wicks rather than mushroom plugs as I find the former more effective.

I have the "wick" type too, but mostly because they are cheap and readily available here in Thailand. I disagree with the "temporary" bit though. I've read from many on the net in bike forums etc that the repair lasts for the life of the tyre. On the back of the repair kit it states that the repair is only temporary and that you should seek a permanent fixture ASAP. If I`m travelling at speed on Thai roads I don`t want to rely on a jury rigged repair and I certainly won`t leave my safety in the hands of self styled experts on bike forums smile.png . I have had tyres repaired later by my local tyre shop using a permanent vulcanised repair for 150 baht, pretty cheap when your life may depend on it. But as they say here "Up to you".