3 Cats - Need Temporary Housing Upon Arrival

Hello all -

My first post here - so be nice to the newbie. :o I'll be arriving in Thailand in mid-July or August from Alaska with 3 cats and 1 fiancee. From lurking around the board, I understand that housing is pretty pet-friendly, so I'm not too worried about getting settled. I am however, concerned about where to go right off the airplane. I can't seem to find hotels that specifically say pet-friendly or not, but I'll just assume they're not!

Woud anyone have any suggestions for hotels, temporary apartments to corporate housing that would take pets and not competely break the budget? In the southern area preferred?

Thanks in advance for any ideas / suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

leave the cats and the fiance' in quarentine at the airport and go out and be a tomcat yourself

OK ... seriously ... figure out where you are gonna be and take the kitties to a kennel nearby

Hello all -

My first post here - so be nice to the newbie. :o I'll be arriving in Thailand in mid-July or August from Alaska with 3 cats and 1 fiancee. From lurking around the board, I understand that housing is pretty pet-friendly, so I'm not too worried about getting settled. I am however, concerned about where to go right off the airplane. I can't seem to find hotels that specifically say pet-friendly or not, but I'll just assume they're not!

Woud anyone have any suggestions for hotels, temporary apartments to corporate housing that would take pets and not competely break the budget? In the southern area preferred?

The Tawanda Ramada Hotel allows pets, or used to. Rates about $80/night. Google them and email or call to confirm that they still allow pets.

Alternatively, what I would do if you're expecting to be some time in looking for permanent housing, is get a serviced apartment. There are many in Bangkok and you can get a one month rental. This will give more space, kitchen facilities etc. I think most of the serviced apartments allow pets. In a hotel, one concenr I would have is the cats getting out and getting lost when the staff comes in to clean...they often leave the door open and between that and the noise of a vacuum cleaner many a cat would bolt. You might want to ask that they only clean when you are there to oversee the feline response.

Good luck -- and let us know what you wind up doing.

jdinasia-

:o Believe me, I've thought of that. Seriously, I've really thought about finding them new homes, the thought of traveling with 3 cats internationally is truly daunting. But the fact is, I'm a total softy and would miss them terribly, so they are going to be expat cats whether they like it or not!

Sheryl -

Thanks for the reply - of all the things to fret about, I'm worried most about my cats. What has your experiences been with finding accomodations that will accept pets - Is it usually a non-issue, would it help to offer extra money per month?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is a serviced apartment? Is that a furnished apartment?

One more question - the two places to kennel them in the Phuket area that I've found are the Matta Vet Clinic and The Raksatt Dog Spa. Any rants/raves about either that you've heard, or can you recommend a different one?

Many thanks!

jdinasia-

:o Believe me, I've thought of that. Seriously, I've really thought about finding them new homes, the thought of traveling with 3 cats internationally is truly daunting. But the fact is, I'm a total softy and would miss them terribly, so they are going to be expat cats whether they like it or not!

Sheryl -

Thanks for the reply - of all the things to fret about, I'm worried most about my cats. What has your experiences been with finding accomodations that will accept pets - Is it usually a non-issue, would it help to offer extra money per month?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is a serviced apartment? Is that a furnished apartment?

One more question - the two places to kennel them in the Phuket area that I've found are the Matta Vet Clinic and The Raksatt Dog Spa. Any rants/raves about either that you've heard, or can you recommend a different one?

Many thanks!

Forl ong-term accomodation pets are not an issue.

A serviced apartment is sort of a cross between a hotel and an apartment. It's like a small furnished apartment plus kitchen utensils and maid service. Usually have nightly, weekly and monthly rates. Nightly rates are similiar to a hotel but longer term rates are usually less; like hotels there is a wide price range and level of comfort.

I haven't heard of either of those kennels but also I think you can avoid the need for a kennel if you pre-arrange lodging. I don't think cats take at all well to kennels anyhow (understatement!). Suggest you post an inquiry about short-term rentals & serviced apartments in the Phuket forum here. Or you might be able to locate someone who wants to rent their place out for a while in the summer, give you time to look around for a permanent place. Good luck

If you're stopping off in Bangkok, Oakwood serviced apartments (& hotel) are pet friendly.

Perhaps you could contact some individual resorts in Phuket to find out about staying with pets. I had a friend who used to take her two cats with her to Samui everytime she went on holiday and when she finally left the country, the resort owners adopted them!

If you're coming from Alaska to Thailand ... are you not worried that your cats will suffer from the change in climate and the heat here? Just something to think about .... electricity bills will be through the roof if you're planning on letting them stay in air-con all day!

Thanks everyone for the replies - you've been enormously helpful!

If you're coming from Alaska to Thailand ... are you not worried that your cats will suffer from the change in climate and the heat here? Just something to think about .... electricity bills will be through the roof if you're planning on letting them stay in air-con all day!

I know, that thought has troubled me as well. I'll be leaving Alaska in the summer, which is generally 75°-80° F (I live in south-central). Hopefully they'll be pretty climatized to the warmth before we leave.

If we have a cool, rainy summer, perhaps I should shave them? :o

If we have a cool, rainy summer, perhaps I should shave them? :D

:o perhaps air-con bills would be more pet friendly! :D

Seriously, though .... they probably will aclimatise after awhile .... are they indoor cats? I have one cat and have only ever kept her indoors (sometimes she ventures a few metres from the door) ... have had too much bad luck in the past with cats being let out and being stolen/killed (one persian, suspected stoled, two persian's killed - one by snake bite, one by the ferocious dogs next door).

If we have a cool, rainy summer, perhaps I should shave them? :D

:o perhaps air-con bills would be more pet friendly! :D

Seriously, though .... they probably will aclimatise after awhile .... are they indoor cats? I have one cat and have only ever kept her indoors (sometimes she ventures a few metres from the door) ... have had too much bad luck in the past with cats being let out and being stolen/killed (one persian, suspected stoled, two persian's killed - one by snake bite, one by the ferocious dogs next door).

They are actually outdoor and indoor cats. They stay inside during the entire winter because it's too cold, but are out pretty much all summer to sun themselves on the deck. Is it better to try and train them to be indoors only? Are snakes/cobras pretty prevalent? The only threat we have up here is owls and eagles picking them up for a snack.

I have two that are about 10 years old, they could probably get used to being indoors only. My youngest is a very rambunctious three-year old. I hope she calms down a bit before we leave, she just has so much energy to expend, I worry about her being cooped up all day - she tends to terrorize the other two when she's bored!

They are actually outdoor and indoor cats. They stay inside during the entire winter because it's too cold, but are out pretty much all summer to sun themselves on the deck. Is it better to try and train them to be indoors only? Are snakes/cobras pretty prevalent? The only threat we have up here is owls and eagles picking them up for a snack.

I have two that are about 10 years old, they could probably get used to being indoors only. My youngest is a very rambunctious three-year old. I hope she calms down a bit before we leave, she just has so much energy to expend, I worry about her being cooped up all day - she tends to terrorize the other two when she's bored!

In my experience ity is very hard to change from indoor/outdoor to only indoor, the urge to go outside doesn't fade and the cat may be unhappy. Your cats will decide for themselves how they feel about the temperature and whether and when they feel comfortable being outside.

On the safety factor, it very much depends on where you live. The biggest danger is always cars & motorbikes, and you need to consider how close you are to a busy road and also whether your cats are fearful of cars (good) or brave enough to risk being on the road (bad). As for snakes, well, it is not really all that common ofr a cat to be killed by a snale but of course it is possible. I wouldn't keep a cat indoors just for that reason, though.

All in all you have to balance safety with quality of living. I have always let my cats be outside where possible, but didn't when I lived in the city where risk of traffic was just too great. You can see also from how the cats react. If you are like me and your cats really miss the great outdoors you won't be able to deny them...

Pythons can pose a pretty big risk to outside cats in northern provinces like Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai but in Bangkok I wouldn't worry about snakes.

In Bangkok I'd be more worried about packs of soi dogs, and of course cars.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all -

Hi Fellow Alaskan! I too am traveling to Thailand this spring. I am nervous as heck for the safety of my beloved Golden Retriever. Finding accomodations is also very difficult and I have yet to find one. I need a place to stay near Bumrungrad for three to four months if anyone has any suggestions. I am also perplexed by the conflicting info regarding quarantine and pets. SOme say 30 day mandatory, others say none required at all. I'd appreaciate any info anyone has on the matter of Q and places to stay in Sukhumvit area. Good luck to you and congratulations!

My Thai wife and I are ALSO moving from Alaska in May and we are still trying to work out all the details to get our 100 pound lab over with us.

I am still waiting on word from a kennel run by an american in Bkk. I will pass on the info when I learn more. Our trouble is we want to fly China air but they do not allow pets this big as baggage. SO we are looking into flying the dog (Poompuy) china air cargo for (gulp) $1500.

Today i started to look into flying to Seattle then to bkk on EVA. Their baggage restrictions are much better and that may be the way we go.

I have a topic running right now in this forum that may be of some help to you both.

It is "moving to thailand with our dog"

Good luck to you all and maybe we will run into each other!

Hi Fellow Alaskan! I too am traveling to Thailand this spring. I am nervous as heck for the safety of my beloved Golden Retriever. Finding accomodations is also very difficult and I have yet to find one. I need a place to stay near Bumrungrad for three to four months if anyone has any suggestions. I am also perplexed by the conflicting info regarding quarantine and pets. SOme say 30 day mandatory, others say none required at all. I'd appreaciate any info anyone has on the matter of Q and places to stay in Sukhumvit area. Good luck to you and congratulations!

Quarantine is NOT mandatory. It can be imposed at the discretion of the animal quarantine officials but rarely is. Have an updayed rabies vaccine certificate with you, also a good idea to have a letter or certificate from a vet saying the dog is in good health.

In theory you are supposed to go to the Animal Quarantine station on arrival (it is near the luggage cariousels -- but often staffed only during Mon-Fri working hours) and fill out a bunch of forms. In practice many people just walk on through. If you do declare the dog, list it as "mixed breed" even if it's not, avoids potential cistoms problems.

In terms of where to stay, I've heard that the Oakwood Servuced Apartments allows pets. It isn't near Bumrungrad but is near the skytrain so travel not hard.

Website is http://www.oakwood.com/corporate-apartment...ok/prop38.html#

If it's too expensive for you, you might stay there for a short while and look for an apartment to rent, 3 months is long enough to get a rental.