Retirement Visa For Us Citizen

I've done my best to try to figure out what I should do to apply for a retirement visa but I need some help. My situation:

1. I am a US citizen and I will turn 50 in November, 2013.

2. I am currently in Thailand but am leaving for the USA in May, returning to Thailand in August.

3. Since I will not yet be 50 when I am in the USA, what type of visa should I apply for while in the USA?

4. What steps should I take once back in Thailand?

5. I have not yet brought over the required 800,000 baht but have been told that I need to prove that the funds came from outside Thailand. Should I do this now, or can it wait?

6. I am in Chiang Mai and use that immigration office exclusively.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by roger1999

3. Get a single entry tourist visa. Make arrangement with bank for SWIFT wire transfers (if not planning to use Bangkok Bank ACH facilities). Most banks require general agreement for wire transfer to be signed inperson.

4. Get the 800k into bank account. When age over 50 apply for conversion to non immigrant O visa entry for 2,000 baht at immigration office showing proof of money in account (seasoning not required but might do both at same time if has been). 60 days later apply for extension of stay for 1,900 baht using new financial paperwork.

5. You can wait as you will be too young on return anyhow.

I am currently in Thailand but am leaving for the USA in May, returning to Thailand in August.

If you return early August, and turn 50 late November, a single entry tourist visa, even with a 30 day extension, will come up 30 days or so short. If that's the situation, you'll need a two-entry tourist visa. And even if entering in late Aug, turning 50 early Nov, you'll still be short, and need to stand in line at CM Immigration for a 30-day extension -- for 1900 baht. A second entry tourist visa, for $40, could give you the option to vacation abroad for a bit -- and eliminate one trip to CM Immigration (you'll have enough face time at Immigration as it is, what with a conversion, then with the retirement extension).

Thanks, guys.

Lopburi3 wrote: "When age over 50 apply for conversion to non immigrant O visa entry for 2,000 baht at immigration office..."

Is this a simple process? I've enver heard of it.

Yes providing you qualify for the 12 Month extension.

IE. Have 800,000 Baht in the bank etc

Yes it is a simple process at most immigration offices - if local office does not do it can always be done in Bangkok. A 2,000 baht fee and use of TM86 or TM87 (depending on the type of entry you have) and proof of meeting age/financials (seasoning not required) and some form of address proof. Should have 15 days or more remaining on current stay (but may do below in some cases).

To play it safe I will get a double entry visa while in the USA and apply to for the conversion to non-Immigrant O at least a month before the visa expires.

Is some type of medical certificate also required in addition to the proof of financials, age and address? Anything else I am missing? You have all been a big help.