Where Can I Buy 1 Kg Cheese In Pattaya ?

balo

I have been told its possible to buy cheap Gouda cheese up to 1 kg in some of the supermarkets here but I have not been able to locate it.

This is cheese made in Thailand I think.

I think the Gouda cheese is locally produced , because the price for 1 kg should be around 700-800 baht . I will try Big C central pattaya again , didnt find it last time I checked.

Topps and Big C extra have an extended cheese counter, however cheap is something that doesn't bode well with cheese in Thailand.

Gouda cheese is made in Holland.

Yeah Gouda is from Holland like Cheddar is from UK and Parmesan is from Italy..........

Makro have big blocks of cheese. Dont know about the quality/origin.

Have bought these blocks of cheese both cheddar and one other type that I forgot just now... I like them they are really good and you can get them slicedready if you wish as well... I always buy them on MAKRO

Glegolo

• Like 2

The cheapest place for Gouda cheese in big blocks (or even entire "wheels") you can buy at Belucky's, which is a rather large store on Naklua Road. This store is located on the 'sea-side' of the road and a little bit past "Bon Cafe" - when driving in from the Dolphin Round-a-bout, okay ?

This place is where a lot of restaurants buy their Cheeses, Smoked (vacuum-packed) Salmon and a lot of other stuff.

coffee1.gif

Topps and Big C extra have an extended cheese counter, however cheap is something that doesn't bode well with cheese in Thailand.

Yeah Gouda is from Holland like Cheddar is from UK and Parmesan is from Italy..........

Buy from Friendship or Makro.......

much cheaper to buy the full cheese Gouda 2 weeks ago was 1.7 kg and cost 780 baht. have not got any so no idea if it is from Holland........ Always buy Cheddar that says form New Zealand........2 kg cost 645 baht, even the 'ARO' brand at Makro is no bad, 2 kg = 546 baht...

Prices jump about a lot, even went up to over 1,000 baht, then came down and stayed for some months around 900 baht, but now dropped back again.. Buy 1 kg you will be paying the same price as 2 kg..

Myself get the 2 kg back home cut into smaller blocks, wrap in cling film and put in air tight box in the fridge, find it is still fine 6 months later........ some people freeze it but it goes hard and crumbly........... I do the same with Butter, the 5 kg big pack is a fraction of the price of the supermarkets packs, it lasts perfect for well over 1 year.

• Like 1

The cheapest place for Gouda cheese in big blocks (or even entire "wheels") you can buy at Belucky's, which is a rather large store on Naklua Road. This store is located on the 'sea-side' of the road and a little bit past "Bon Cafe" - when driving in from the Dolphin Round-a-bout, okay ?

This place is where a lot of restaurants buy their Cheeses, Smoked (vacuum-packed) Salmon and a lot of other stuff.

coffee1.gif

Great , this is what I was looking for , and I will check out MAKRO as well. I am a cheese lover so just have to try all the different types before I decide.

Everyone tells me cheese is too expensive in Thailand , but if you buy it in 1 or 2 kg , you will save a lot of baht !

most, if not all, Gouda available in Thailand at a fair price is produced in Thailand.

most, if not all, Gouda available in Thailand at a fair price is produced in Thailand.

that's exactly the problem. Also Emmental is in Switzerland if I remember correctly and not in Thailand, Australia or New Zealand...

Unlike Parmigiano-Reggiano or Grana Padano, which are "Protected Designations of Origin", the terms/names "Gouda" and "Cheddar" do not signify or limit the location of where the cheese with that name was produced. In fact, Gouda cheese has never been made in Gouda, and the name is derived from the location in which it was popularly traded. They are designations of the type of cheese or process by which the cheese with that name was made. "Parmesan" is a Protected Designation of Origin in some places in Europe, and, where it is, it can only refer to Parmigiano-Reggiano and not to Grana Padano, which is another popular hard Italian grating cheese, but not "Parmesan". In most countries outside Europe, "parmesan" can refer to any hard Italian-style grating cheese, without regard to where is was made. And while "Cheddar" was first produced in Cheddar/Somerset, England, cheeses of this style are now produced outside this region and in many countries around the world. The US and Argentina produce many times the quantity of cheddar produced in England, and it is generally far better cheese -- the best "sharp, aged" cheddar is now produced in Vermont (Cabot Creamery's sixteen-month-old Private Stock Cheddar). The name "cheddar cheese" is widely used and has no PDO associated with it, but only cheddar produced from milk produced within four specified counties of South-West England may use the name "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar." Curiously, only one producer of the cheese is now based in Cheddar itself -- Good luck finding that if you really think that the only real "cheddar cheese" comes from Cheddar!

The name "Gouda" really tells you very little about the cheese, except that it is rubbery, bland and salty. Gouda can be aged for as little as 4 months to 8 months or longer, and the taste/flavor changes dramatically with aging -- they really are very different cheeses, none very good to my palate regardless of where produced, but to each his own.

So you would do well to stop worrying about where the "cheddar cheese" or "Gouda" was produced, and focus more on whether it is any good. Some of the best cheeses (and wines) in the world, and certainly the best "values", are produced in locations outside the location where they were originally produced hundreds of years ago. I don't care if the "cheddar cheese" was produced in England, the US, Argentina or Upper Lower Slobovia (or even Thailand for that matter), if it is a good cheese for that type of cheese and is more affordable (cheese is never "cheap" in Thailand) because of where it was made, it is a good choice. Next......

• Like 2

Yesterday I bought 2 Kg of Anchor NZ cheddar in Makro 790 bt inc tax

2 Kg of Aro cheddar in Makro 700 bt + tax

So has gone up 100 odd baht in just over 2 weeks........

Do have a question is the price the same at all Makro stores ? I use 2 different ones depending on which way I am going, both are about 45 km [each way] away from my house......... South west of BKK or Nonthaburi......... would Pattaya be more expensive ?

As said in the earlier post Cheese appears to jump up and down in price a lot..... or is it the store ?

Edited by ignis

Is there a reason that you bought 2 different brands -- Anchor and Aro -- at the same time? The price information would be more useful if it was "apples-to-apples" -- I have no idea what the +tax does to the Aro "all in" price, but I am guessing that it makes the two cheeses about equal in price. Generally, Aro products (it is Makro's "house brand") range from "good" to "acceptable", but I have never tried Aro cheese. I would be inclined to buy Anchor NZ over Aro at a similar price. The "Savepak" brand at Makro is uniformly awful (at least the items that I have tried), and I would/do avoid that brand at any price.

Smaller chunks (1/4 kilo and up) of cheddar cheese can be found very routinely at B400 per kilo (Makro, Foodland, etc.), so B790 for a 2 kilo block of cheese is not a great deal unless it is a much better cheese (my guess is that at Makro it is the same cheese). I bought an 8 oz chunk of California sharp cheddar at Villa Market last evening for B105 (B462.97 per kilo), which to my thinking is a much better buy than an Aro or Anchor cheese at B395 per kilo, but I have not tried the Villa cheese yet, so I may change my mind after tasting it. And all equal, I would prefer buying cheese in smaller packages because the cheese keeps much better and longer in the vacuum sealed packaging, but of course if the price per kilo goes down significantly with the larger package, that may be the better way to go, which was the OP's point/question in the first instance.

Is there a reason that you bought 2 different brands -- Anchor and Aro -- at the same time? The price information would be more useful if it was "apples-to-apples" -- I have no idea what the +tax does to the Aro "all in" price, but I am guessing that it makes the two cheeses about equal in price. Generally, Aro products (it is Makro's "house brand") range from "good" to "acceptable", but I have never tried Aro cheese. I would be inclined to buy Anchor NZ over Aro at a similar price. The "Savepak" brand at Makro is uniformly awful (at least the items that I have tried), and I would/do avoid that brand at any price.

Smaller chunks (1/4 kilo and up) of cheddar cheese can be found very routinely at B400 per kilo (Makro, Foodland, etc.), so B790 for a 2 kilo block of cheese is not a great deal unless it is a much better cheese (my guess is that at Makro it is the same cheese). I bought an 8 oz chunk of California sharp cheddar at Villa Market last evening for B105 (B462.97 per kilo), which to my thinking is a much better buy than an Aro or Anchor cheese at B395 per kilo, but I have not tried the Villa cheese yet, so I may change my mind after tasting it. And all equal, I would prefer buying cheese in smaller packages because the cheese keeps much better and longer in the vacuum sealed packaging, but of course if the price per kilo goes down significantly with the larger package, that may be the better way to go, which was the OP's point/question in the first instance.

Regarding the apples to apples comparison I agree but

I bought 2 Kg of Anchor NZ cheddar in Makro 790 bt inc tax on my reciept

I saw that 2 Kg of Aro cheddar in Makro 700 bt + tax that would be about

40 bt cheaper with tax.

I did not say it was cheap, It was just for comparison for anyone who is interested.

The Anchor NZ cheese is better for such a small saving I agree.

Did you see any Gouda there?

Was shopping at Makro yesterday and checked the prices on Gouda.

Thai made Gouda, about 3 kg blocks, sold at 350 Baht/kg

Imported Dutch Gouda, about 4 kg wheels, sold at 430 Baht/kg

Would be surprised if you find it cheaper anywhere else.

Did you see any Gouda there?

Was shopping at Makro yesterday and checked the prices on Gouda.

Thai made Gouda, about 3 kg blocks, sold at 350 Baht/kg

Imported Dutch Gouda, about 4 kg wheels, sold at 430 Baht/kg

Would be surprised if you find it cheaper anywhere else.

Great thanks , just found out Makro near Jomtien is only 2-3 kms away from my condo . Seems to be the best offer for Gouda cheese.

Edited by balo

I found my Gouda cheese at Makro today , 3 kg and I paid around 1000 baht for it .

And the best thing of it all , it tastes great ! It's imported cheese from Holland , made by Holland Dairy Star. thumbsup.gif

I found my Gouda cheese at Makro today , 3 kg and I paid around 1000 baht for it .

And the best thing of it all , it tastes great ! It's imported cheese from Holland , made by Holland Dairy Star. thumbsup.gif

Thanks to you and all the others for sharing this info. Cheese is so expensive here it's nice to hear of a way to save some money!!!

wai2.gif