Hsbc In Thailand

I've read that HSBC Thailand has sold up to Krungsri Bank of Ayuthaya.

Can anyone confirm whether HSBC (and importantly for me, their cash machines) have vacated the U Chu Liang building?

Can HSBC be found anywhere else in Bangkok?

Thanks in advance,

Trembly

They have sold their retail operations. That includes credit cards and individual transactional accounts. The office still remains in the same building and maintain some functions catered to business clients

• Like 2

From their website, posted January 2012.

"Following a strategic business review of HSBC’s operations around the world, the HSBC Group has decided to reshape its business in Thailand to focus on its corporate banking business."

"Please be advised that our Main Branch on Rama IV Road will be closed on 30 June 2012 and Thonglor Branch will be closed on 31 March 2012."

Banks acquiring other banks sometimes retain the original banks location but rebrand it. The Siam City Bank had a shop-front branch on the ground floor of Regent House. They were sold to Thanachart Bank and despite their having a large branch less than a minute's walk around the corner, have kept the original Siam City bank location but rebranded it as their own, including ATM's. I guess those UK visa fee cheques make it viable!

This also from the HSBC Thailand website:

"Announcement to contact Krungsri Credit Card Call Centre for HSBC's Retail Credit Card
As HSBC's Retail Credit Card Business has already been transferred to Krungsri Group, should you need to contact Krungsri Group, please call Krungsri Credit Card Call Centre on 0 2646 3000 (daily from 08.00 - 22.00 hrs.) and Krungsri Visa Platinum Call Centre on 0 2646 3555 (24hrs everyday). If your credit card has been closed/ cancelled/ terminated before 31st March 2012 and need to contact HSBC, please call 0 2614 4000 (Monday - Friday, 08.00 - 17.30 hrs.). Thank you."
Note that HSBC Thailand will still have a corporate banking ONLY presence here. This from my experience with another US bank here. Bank of America had (still have?) a corporate presence in Bangkok. Several years ago, I had a problem with a BofA debit card issued in the US; account locked until I verified IN PERSON who I was. I was able to resolve the issue via their corporate Bangkok office but it was a very tenuous situation as their US-based anti-card fraud office had great difficulty conversing with the Thai based office staff. They did share some aspects of BofA company intranet access and all that was needed was a certified BofA Thailand staff member to verify that I was who I said I was to a certified BofA America staff member online and on the phone. Took a few hours and a few phone calls band probably a one-off. Beat flying back to the US just to walk into any branch and show my ID!
Edit: MiG16 has confirmed that the corporate-only office is still there but I would doubt that the ATM's are.
Edited by NanLaew

I was a customer - the closure pissed me off big time, I closed my accounts in protest and refused to migrate to BoA. As I recall they "sold" all of their customers for 350,000,000 USD.

I moved to another big local bank who are great for local stuff but I miss the HSBC online system and global banking.

Yes, all these banks that went 'global' a decade or so ago have now either gone corporate (to serve their cronies) or moved into wealth management (managing the huge personal accounts of their corporate cronies).

I am investing heavily in mattresses!

Edited by NanLaew

I was a customer - the closure pissed me off big time, I closed my accounts in protest and refused to migrate to BoA. As I recall they "sold" all of their customers for 350,000,000 USD.

I moved to another big local bank who are great for local stuff but I miss the HSBC online system and global banking.

They mostly all do some variation of online banking but I see your point when you are comfortable with one bank's online services and experience and then they fob you off on another one. The new one always comes across as either inferior (low tech) or flashy (all bling and bullshit).

RBS International fobbed off their personal accounts to NatWest... and we all know how thoroughly reliable their online experiences can be; I was in limbo for about 10 days during last summer's system meltdown. Now I have just been emailed that my HSBC account in the US has been sold to CapitalOne... who I 'discharged' from my banking experience about 15 years ago for huge fees and pretty lousy service!

PS. My mattresses are available soon!

The change over from HSBC Premier to Krungsri, Bank of Ayuthaya was a very smooth process, term deposits moved over without any issues (better interest rates too), Platinum Visa cards swapped over 100% without issue, ATM cards a huge bonus, Krungsri have more branches and online banking, so banking is just got so much easier than before with HSBC Thailand. The only down side is no more free transfers from other offshore HSBC Premier accounts to Thailand, but a small price to pay.

• Like 2

wasn't the advertisement "HSBC, the worlds local bank"? all words and no substance

er no. It doesn't require HSBC to have a presence in every single country and particularly in Thailand. If the operation isn't making a profit or at least the possibility of expansion, then no point.

There are other overseas banks (if that is what you want) to which you can transfer your custom.

wasn't the advertisement "HSBC, the worlds local bank"? all words and no substance

er no. It doesn't require HSBC to have a presence in every single country and particularly in Thailand. If the operation isn't making a profit or at least the possibility of expansion, then no point.

There are other overseas banks (if that is what you want) to which you can transfer your custom.

Are you saying "er no" the worlds local bank wasn't the advertising campaign?

I did not say they needed a presence in every single country, I was just commenting on their actions which seem contrary to being the worlds local bank.

I do not want another overseas bank, I will make do with the efforts of barclays who manage to do well despite themselves.

Are you saying "er no" the worlds local bank wasn't the advertising campaign?

I did not say they needed a presence in every single country, I was just commenting on their actions which seem contrary to being the worlds local bank.

I do not want another overseas bank, I will make do with the efforts of barclays who manage to do well despite themselves.

As an ex-customer of Barclays and current customer of HSBC, good luck to you and keep watching those adverts.

• 2 months later...

Citibank has an instant transfer to and fro from other citibank accounts overseas. But exchange rates sux, 2 % margin on interbank rates.

Thank you for your reply. Basically, I have found HSBC internet banking very convenient for some things in other countries, and I wanted to duplicate an "internet account" in Thailand. But now that I have just learned that there really is no consumer banking in Thailand, and after visiting HSBC's internet banking website to find that you cannot select Thailand as "your" country, then I need to now find an alternative. Which I think is kind of a shame.

Also, I do not want to use a USA bank, especially Citibank. I would be happy to use a Chinese bank, such as Bank of China, but I think they may not operate here.

So if there were some people using HSBC recently in Thailand, who have now found a good alternative in Thailand for online banking only, or primarily internet banking, then this information would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Consider UOB (Singapore) and/or CIMB (Malaysia), both have significant presence in Thailand, I can't speak about their online banking but their branch banking is very good, no reason to believe their internet banking is anything less..

• Like 1

Had a HSBC Thailand account changed over to Krungsri, premier level account and credit cards.

We are closing the account soon, the service has been simply crap.They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

• Like 1

If there is no longer any HSBC internet banking in Thailand, then what is the next best alternative, with services that are similar to what HSBC offered?

Can you not just use HSBC from outside Thailand?

This is what I was hoping to do because I have an HSBC account which I registered when I was in another country. But that particular type of internet account only allows use of the ATM card in that particular country using local currency, and will =not= allow use of the HSBC ATM card with machines outside that country, such as when I am in Thailand. I think that it may be possible for me to use the HSBC issued Debit Card in Thailand, but this I will need to check with HSBC, and I have never actually used it in the past anywhere.

If there is no longer any HSBC internet banking in Thailand, then what is the next best alternative, with services that are similar to what HSBC offered?

Can you not just use HSBC from outside Thailand?

This is what I was hoping to do because I have an HSBC account which I registered when I was in another country. But that particular type of internet account only allows use of the ATM card in that particular country using local currency, and will =not= allow use of the HSBC ATM card with machines outside that country, such as when I am in Thailand. I think that it may be possible for me to use the HSBC issued Debit Card in Thailand, but this I will need to check with HSBC, and I have never actually used it in the past anywhere.

I would be careful about using a debit card in Thailand linked to my main current account. Possibly better to have a feeder account with limited funds which you can drip feed.