Babies Milk

Can anyone shed light on the issues with bringing pre-mixed baby's milk through security at Swampy please?
It's made with boiled water which we can't get airside or on the plane so it would mean boiling the water & mixing the formula before we leave home.

It's an over night flight to London so I don't really have any options as our little one has a bottle everynight with her that she sipos from if she wakes in the night.

Well it's a couple of years since I last travelled with a baby's bottle but there was no problem. We had a pre made bottle and a couple of other bottles of just boiled water. They made us take a sip of each one at security and then that was it. The same at Heathrow coming back.

It's very common.

• 2 weeks later...

Course you can get boiled water on the plane. Here in Australia any liquids over 100ml can't be taken onboard.

How do they serve tea and coffee without boiled water?

The water onboard never reaches 100DegC which is what I believe the OP means by boiled water. Edited by RabC

When my daughter was a baby they made the formula on board. They do have boiled water on board too, tea/ coffee etc.

Don't know anyone with a baby whose not been able to use boiled water on board a plane.

Make a few bottles and if can be warmed.

Put it this way. If I saw passengers taking bottles of any liquid on a plane I'd complain. Baby or no baby, rules are rules and we have a baby. If you saw strange men with beards wearing Arab type dress looking clothes taking bottles of milk looking substance on your plane, would you be worried? ...hell yeah, I would.

Planes these days have things in place for parents to make up milk onboard.

The OP needs to get one of those 'stacker' type baby formula carriers. It has 4 to 6 individual containers for each feed but they all screw together for compactness. Then bring a couple of empty baby bottles and get the galley crew to add the hot water. No dicking about with sipping pre-mixed milk at airport security either as all you have dry formula and empty bottles.

Baby's don't like boiling hot milk either and you can add chilled, bottled drinking water (from the galley) to get the tykes dinner to the right temperature... but maybe some travelers here are unaware of this.

My wife and I with 7months baby flew from Chaing Rai to BKK to Sydney. We had water in flask plus bottles for the baby already made up. We cleared security in CR and BKK with no problems. On the return leg from SYD to BKK the wife had bottles made up before the start of the trip. There were no problems with security at Sydney A/P.

It appears that LAG checks in Sydney are a little relaxed. We were not asked or required to place liquids in plastic bags as previously.

This is on the Australian Government website

Travelling with a baby or infant

Passengers travelling with an infant or toddler are permitted to carry a reasonable quantity of liquid, aerosol or gel products for the infant or toddler onboard for the duration of the flight and any delays that might occur. The security screening officer has the final say about what a 'reasonable quantity' is.

Baby products may include, but are not limited to:

• baby milk, including breast milk;
  • sterilised water;
  • juice;
  • baby food in liquid, gel or paste form; and
  • disposable wipes.

Products such as baby milk powder that are not liquids, aerosols or gels can be taken onboard.

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/exemptions.aspx

Edit

OP I suggest you search for the English website.

Edited by ripstanley

If you saw strange men with beards wearing Arab type dress looking clothes taking bottles of milk looking substance on your plane, would you be worried? ...hell yeah, I would.

Or they could just be arabic/muslim and carrying a milk bottle for their baby who are also travelling..... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

At UK airports nothing over 100ml can be taken airside.

Security recently at LHR was increased.

The boarding card check is now electronic using the bar code. So no human check. Then Boarder control, then security.

A couple of weeks ago I was given a good once over and checked for drugs and explosives. Maybe it was something I had eaten that excited the x ray walk through!

When I say a good once over, it was not a good seeing too. Just checking thoroughly my clothes/shoes!!!

Back to the original question. Depends on the body language by the individual/family traveling and how good the airport security was.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by vulcan903

If you saw strange men with beards wearing Arab type dress looking clothes taking bottles of milk looking substance on your plane, would you be worried? ...hell yeah, I would.

Or they could just be arabic/muslim and carrying a milk bottle for their baby who are also travelling..... rolleyes.gif

Point is and bottom line, no liquids over 100ml to be taken onto any planes. There are things in place for babies milk already onboard. Full stop. End of story.

They let us take some water for mixing formula on the plane plus some already mixed in a bottle. They will tell yo how much they will allow. We didn't heat the formula usually. Our kids didn't seem to care one way or the other. You can get bottled water usually on the other side of customs. it makes formula just fine.

Correct, you can buy water after passport control BUT last time I purchased some it was taken from me by security closer to gate. It wasn't opened along with diet Pepsi unopened bottle.

At LHR you can buy after security and do what you want with it. No one checks.

Point is and bottom line, no liquids over 100ml to be taken onto any planes. There are things in place for babies milk already onboard. Full stop. End of story.

Please read my post #10