Enlightment -Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Madness

poanoi

I think some might see this as satire, but it is very true. Where did you find this? Who wrote it? It explains it well. As chaotic as the roads seem to us, there is a hidden order to it, and the above description is apt. 12 years driving here and the more I learn about Buddhism (at least the Thai brand of it) and the more I drive on the roads here, the more I have realized the connection between the two, particularly the concept of predetermination and the effect it has on what a westerners would perceive as a lack of personal responsibility.

I learned to ride a motorcycle (small and big) in Thailand, then went back home and took the beginner and advanced riding courses in the states and spent a few years riding there in commute traffic. I have been thinking of writing a "how to" on riding here along with some video from my GoPro as I ride around the chaotic roads of Phuket. Some riding and driving habits are important to keep (reasonable following distance, leave yourself an out, keep a good sight-line of the traffic ahead) and others you must discard (especially the western concept of right of way) The most important thing IMO is to be on the same page as the other drivers. That doesn't mean drive like them, but it might mean running the occasional red light in order to keep from getting run over. The only reason why the system works at all here is that most everyone is A) Hyper-vigilant and cool.png able to predict the actions of other drivers. The only drivers that scare me now are the tourists because they are trying to follow the rules of the road, and they do things unpredictable to the people that are used to driving and riding here here like panic braking or swerving at the slightest sign of danger, which the rest of the drivers here know is not really a danger but normal behavior.

Like most, the use of indicators was a mystery to me when I first came to Thailand. On the highways a left indicator may mean it is safe to overtake, a right one means unsafe. Both indicators (hazards) means I am going straight. Flashing of brights is a weird one too. It the vehicle flashing headlights or brights is slowing, it means "go ahead" to the other vehicle. If the vehicle is remaining at speed, it means "I am coming through".

One thing I still haven't figured out is what a quick right-left-right or left-right-left indicator means. Same as hazards perhaps?

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

Very enlightening! And funny too.

Would also be great to shed some light on the use of headlights in Thailand.

One flash means you should get out of my way.

Multiple flashes mean I'm not going to stop so you really need to get of my way now.

One big flash followed by the sound of crumpling steel and plastic means someone did not get of the way fast enough and we can discuss the outcome in the next life.

This is nonsense.

Flowing water when hitting, for example, a rock, will flow around the rock, not gaining or loosing momentum. A natural phenomenon.

A motor bike, which is a machine, controlled by a human, trying to squeeze between 2 pick-ups not gaining or loosing momentum is total stupidity.

The 2 cannot be compared thru Buddhism.

From a physics PoV, the color you see is the wave-length the substance reflect the most,

and this will vary depending on concentration of the various substances.

From a more spiritual PoV, it's Karma, what you radiate will eventually come back at you.

I think some might see this as satire, but it is very true. Where did you find this? Who wrote it? It explains it well. As chaotic as the roads seem to us, there is a hidden order to it, and the above description is apt. 12 years driving here and the more I learn about Buddhism (at least the Thai brand of it) and the more I drive on the roads here, the more I have realized the connection between the two, particularly the concept of predetermination and the effect it has on what a westerners would perceive as a lack of personal responsibility.I learned to ride a motorcycle (small and big) in Thailand, then went back home and took the beginner and advanced riding courses in the states and spent a few years riding there in commute traffic. I have been thinking of writing a "how to" on riding here along with some video from my GoPro as I ride around the chaotic roads of Phuket. Some riding and driving habits are important to keep (reasonable following distance, leave yourself an out, keep a good sight-line of the traffic ahead) and others you must discard (especially the western concept of right of way) The most important thing IMO is to be on the same page as the other drivers. That doesn't mean drive like them, but it might mean running the occasional red light in order to keep from getting run over. The only reason why the system works at all here is that most everyone is A) Hyper-vigilant and able to predict the actions of other drivers. The only drivers that scare me now are the tourists because they are trying to follow the rules of the road, and they do things unpredictable to the people that are used to driving and riding here here like panic braking or swerving at the slightest sign of danger, which the rest of the drivers here know is not really a danger but normal behavior.Like most, the use of indicators was a mystery to me when I first came to Thailand. On the highways a left indicator may mean it is safe to overtake, a right one means unsafe. Both indicators (hazards) means I am going straight. Flashing of brights is a weird one too. It the vehicle flashing headlights or brights is slowing, it means "go ahead" to the other vehicle. If the vehicle is remaining at speed, it means "I am coming through".One thing I still haven't figured out is what a quick right-left-right or left-right-left indicator means. Same as hazards perhaps?

Yeah man! ! A how to and videos would be awesome.

THERE are two things about Thailand that are totally incomprehensible to westerners:

Buddhism and road rules.

This is because "westerners " come to Asia with the preconceived idea of superiority. Their way is better when in fact it is simply different. That we don't understand Buddhism is considered to be an opportunity to learn. That we don't understand the road rules is considered an opportunity for derision. Oh and satire!

From a physics PoV, the color you see is the wave-length the substance reflect the most,

and this will vary depending on concentration of the various substances.

From a more spiritual PoV, it's Karma, what you radiate will eventually come back at you.

I knew you would put it into simple terms even a country boy like me would understand! biggrin.png

Here's an old one.

You are following a woman driver who is signalling a right turn with her arm sticking out of the window.

What is the only thing of which you can be certain ?

Edited by VocalNeal

Here's an old one.

You are following a woman driver who is signalling a right turn with her arm sticking out of the window.

What is the only thing of which you can be certain ?

Easy. Nail polish is not dry yet! wink.png