Thailand's Education Has Been Deemed By Many As A Failure; Think-Tank Proposes Overhaul

webfact

Policy think-tank proposes overhaul of education system

BANGKOK, 21 March 2013 (NNT) - The policy think-tank, Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), has proposed an overhaul of the Thai education system, focusing on inducing incentives for teachers to care for their pupils.

The think-tank revealed that its study into the Thai education system has shown that teachers have not been made accountable for their students' education. The institute's president, Somkiat Tangkitvanich, said that students' performance accounts for only 3 per cent in the consideration of teachers' pay-rises and promotion. It should be made to account for over 50 per cent of those, he said.

The think-tank also suggested that inspections on schools by external inspectors should be scrapped. External inspectors should be used only on badly performing schools, it said.

Among other suggestions, the think-tank also calls for school syllabuss to be modernized to suit the 21st century. It also proposes that the current national tests, which seek to test students on knowledge of contents, be replaced by a new test called the "literacy-based test", which will seek to test students on understanding of how to acquire knowledge.

Thailand's education has been deemed by many as a failure. Thai students are among those spending the longest time in class in the world. Yet, Thailand ranks among the worst for educational output, according to Pearson, an education firm .

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-21 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be replaced by a new test called the "literacy-based test", which will seek to test students on understanding of how to acquire knowledge

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-03-21 footer_n.gif

:blink:Uhh? Maybe students know how to succeed in the country,and it aint by what they are taught in schools ,be it in Thailand or any other school in the world Edited by allalong
  • Like 1

The only one that stands out in this soap opera is Pearson, they got it right, yeah ,think I've seen this rehash from way back,, the think tank needs a good anaemia also.coffee1.gif

You want to drain them of blood? ...... actually, you could have a point there.

The only one that stands out in this soap opera is Pearson, they got it right, yeah ,think I've seen this rehash from way back,, the think tank needs a good anaemia also.coffee1.gif

You want to drain them of blood? ...... actually, you could have a point there.

"Who needs enemas with friends like you"?rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

An objective self inspection is a key step in a program of self improvement.

Basically its difficult to continuously improve if you don't know whats wrong.

First realize you have a problem

identify the problems

then get corrective plan on each problem

execute the plan

hold every team member accountable.

This problem is systemic in TL.

problems are diverse.

Start with the low lying fruit

get some confidence in the team and the plan

and move forward.

Thats what i would do

but what do i know,

i'm just an engineer biggrin.png

Sounds like they are at step 1.

lets see if they can get to step 2 and 3.

I'm wishing for luck,

Knock on wood and

Got my fingers crossed! biggrin.png

Edited by jamhar
  • Like 2

This might be a bid to reduce the amounts some parents pay teachers for good grades. It always seems funny to me that when you drive by a school in a good part of town it looks like a parking lot for a BMW dealership. Thought the teachers were not paid much, less than 20 k which is the payment for a BMW 318. Where are they getting the money or do we need to ask?

Thai students are among those spending the longest time in class in the world...

...and this means absolutely nothing!..I'm not Thai bashing but this is in fact just an extension of their priorities here...Quantity rather than quality...They believe that keeping kids in school for 7-8 hours a day and cramming their heads with endless information and then giving them homework on top of all of this is what an education is...A childs brain doesn't work this way...At this rate a kid gets burned out, bored and has no desire to want to learn...Learning becomes a chore rather than a fun experience....

• Like 2

Another trillion baht budget on the way perhaps.... with all these mega budgets being approved by the current administration there are going to some serious wealthy MP's.... and to think that this party got elected on the anti corruption manifesto, come to think on it, has the govt followed though on a single manifesto promise, TIT...

Yes, no such things as results oriented assessments here...

... said that students' performance accounts for only 3 per cent in the consideration of teachers' pay-rises and promotion. It should be made to account for over 50 per cent of those, he said.

The only 50% assessment here is on a student attendance. If the student obtain 50% of their pass as assessed by attendance, they get their grades and move on, a ridiculously flawed system. Not all schools do this but I have been told some still do.

Edited by Locationthailand
  • Like 1

What's that? Teachers are not accountable for their students performances? I beg to differ. Teacher are ALWAYS blamed when students perform poorly on exams - despite such students never handing i homework or coming to school. I would suggest abolishing the ho-fail policy - give the grades the students earn. If they earn a zero then there is a zero on their report. There's nothing more infuriating than having to give a 50 to the lazy sod sleeping in the corner and a 50 to the kid who earned it byworking his/her nads off. Thailand better wake itself up or they face being left in the wake of other AEC nations over the next few years.

And what exactly is a literacy based test? Surely they aren't proposing to abolish testing of content knowledge - which goes against just about every other country on earth; IB, AP, A levels...etc.

This might be a bid to reduce the amounts some parents pay teachers for good grades. It always seems funny to me that when you drive by a school in a good part of town it looks like a parking lot for a BMW dealership. Thought the teachers were not paid much, less than 20 k which is the payment for a BMW 318. Where are they getting the money or do we need to ask?

Those are parents illegally parking in the teachers spots - most Thai teachers I know are up to their necks paying off a vios or city. Certainly I've never seen one driving a bmw, unless they had a rich husband.

be replaced by a new test called the "literacy-based test", which will seek to test students on understanding of how to acquire knowledge

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-03-21 footer_n.gif:blink:Uhh? Maybe students know how to succeed in the country,and it aint by what they are taught in schools ,be it in Thailand or any other school in the world

?? So are you saying they shouldn't go to school at all?

The education system in Thailand is such a failure that in my opinion the powers to be plan it to be so. This way the elite 'Chinese Thai' can exploit the Thai masses with ease.

Exactly correct....What a tragedy on a large scale, that so many children are denied a real education, and to learn the process of critical thinking. :-(

Good grades don't come cheap

• Like 1