Thai Students Set For Mass Tablet Computer Handout

webfact

A tablet/computer is only a tool, like all tools you have to have the knowledge to input information.. a bit like a calculator, it can give you a wrong answer just as quick as a correct one !

This tablet could be a good addition to Thai education, but only if used & taught in the correct way, which I think is where the trouble will start !

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the students will be getting together, teaching each other, sharing their experiences and competing to see who knows best. Some will have older brothers and sisters who know how to use them and will help them. Computer knowledge will spread like wildfire and the students will be showing the teachers how its done just as they show their parents how to use cell phones, the remote control and other gadgets.

• Like 2

I think the students will be getting together, teaching each other, sharing their experiences and competing to see who knows best. Some will have older brothers and sisters who know how to use them and will help them. Computer knowledge will spread like wildfire and the students will be showing the teachers how its done just as they show their parents how to use cell phones, the remote control and other gadgets.

Actually, it is highly unlikely that this will happen. It is totally against Thai culture for younger people to teach anything to older people. For example, the school I teach at has no real effective discipline policy. I suggested that in addition to referring problem students to Admin, we set up a student discipline (peer counseling) committee that would meet once a week with any students who had been in trouble and talk with them. As soon as I finished explaining this idea, the Thai teachers went into a huddle and basically said "it's a good idea, but how can younger students advise older students?". (I can understand Thai much better than I can speak it.)

In Thailand, younger students would feel extremely uncomfortable trying to advise older students and older students would feel insulted if younger students tried to counsel them, so the only students who could really do peer counseling are the M6 students, who are the ones who are most likely to get into trouble & be referred to the committee!

The average Thai teacher is about 50 years old (something like 40% of Thai teachers are due to retire within the next 10 years). Most of them are uncomfortable with technology and resist moving outside of their 'comfort zone'. In most schools these tablets will probably be locked up and only used once a week in 'tablet class'.

I am not opposed to using technology in the classroom and use it as much as possible myself. However, I do think that the budget for this tablet scheme could be used in better ways, like upgrading and expanding schools' computer labs, training teachers to use new technologies, adding more projectors and computers to classrooms, improving internet connections to schools, etc...

Edited by otherstuff1957
  • Like 1

Why are they giving more out. These tablets have been little short of a disaster at my school. Batteries are rubbish and the programmes aren't great.

The corrupt government that runs this country will be benefiting from this, that's why more are being handed out.

When will Thai people start standing up for themselves are stop being taken advantage of. The only way is down.

In 20 years this country will be called China.

With each tablet expected to cost roughly $100, the total value of the orders looks set to be worth more than four billion baht ($140 million).

On 2012-10-17 we had

""Earlier this year, the government signed contracts with a Chinese supplier for 858,886 tablets worth Bt1.9 billion that are now being used for studying at Prathom 1 level.""

Now those from last year were probably of lesser spec (for P1 kids, with a price of US$82) and now about half will be a higher spec (for M1 students). Combined with rising prices of tablet Pcs, rising Baht, greedy foreign suppliers increasing their margins, etc., etc., etc.

BTW any data on how many of those 858,886 are still in working order assuming all have been delivered and used.

On Thai t.v. last week the batch due now, is delayed until NOVEMBER. In channel PSI

With each tablet expected to cost roughly $100, the total value of the orders looks set to be worth more than four billion baht ($140 million).

On 2012-10-17 we had

""Earlier this year, the government signed contracts with a Chinese supplier for 858,886 tablets worth Bt1.9 billion that are now being used for studying at Prathom 1 level.""

Now those from last year were probably of lesser spec (for P1 kids, with a price of US$82) and now about half will be a higher spec (for M1 students). Combined with rising prices of tablet Pcs, rising Baht, greedy foreign suppliers increasing their margins, etc., etc., etc.

BTW any data on how many of those 858,886 are still in working order assuming all have been delivered and used.

On Thai t.v. last week the batch due now, is delayed until NOVEMBER. In channel PSI

From what I read today after three years the students own the tablets. So does this mean every three years there will be another round of buying new tablets for new students or every year for new students?

On 2012-10-17 we had

From what I read today after three years the students own the tablets. So does this mean every three years there will be another round of buying new tablets for new students or every year for new students?

The first years promise was not delivered--this is the second large batch that should be distributed MARCH---delay until at least November. In fact no one seems to know how many have ACTUALLY been handed TO the STUDENTS up to now. I do not know if there are any true records of each tablet...........Remember Yingluck holding up high a SAMSUNG and saying all will receive when we get elected, How many million ???? how many we got.

I don't think anyone is saying they are not here to stay, but how best to integrate the use of technology to create an educational environment [maybe even encouraging a questioning, investigative form of thought process]. The risk are that the tablet [and I'm not just saying this about Thailand] is that it becomes little more then a media delivery system, which educationally is just a electronification [Neologisms R us] of rote learning,.

Edited by A_Traveller

The intelligence revolution is happening now and Thai students like all students will learn to use computers now or later- computers are here to stay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_ExHIFEjg

I aggree but NOT on this type------Not on the way it's been organised-----Not without power points in schools---- not to take home------Notebooks/laptops at schools--------teacher training first-------deliveries a sprinkling despite what were told. etc.

Give them ALL a chance not some

No one answered the question I posed on this before so I presume no one knows.

However it would seem to me that to continue with this thing there will have to be a new lot bought every year as there are a new lot of students every year.

For if a student is allowed to take keep the thing after 3 years then it would have to follow that student through school for those 3 years.

If a new lot was not given every year then only students from the one year that this lot was given out would have (have the use) of one.

If they are to be passed down to the next lot of students in the next year then it will only be those who get the use of them in the third year that get to keep them.

Then of course without replacement they will be gone from the school system.

Looking at the advances in technology they will be far outdated by then anyway.

And the funds for this is coming from where? the education budget?

Sad...sad...sad. I am sure Yingluck intentions are meant to be helpful, but it demonstrates how little thought has been put into the "plan". Handing out tablets will not make the Thai students smarter! There are technical issues that will plague the schools that will be using these. 1)will there be sufficient (strong) wi-fi for the tablets to be used in each classroom? 2)What internet educational programs will be available for the student to use THAT IS IN THAI language? (sorry, Facebook, Hotmail does not count). 3) What information websites will be in Thai and not in English for the students in order for them to do their research, remember, these Thai students may have limited English and most info out on the web is in English 5) What training has the teachers had with using the tablets for educations use? 6)Is there a "tech" person in each school to take care of the flaws that can occur--such as the student forgetting his/her password; 7) What accountablity will the students have when receiving this (free?) tablet? Does he/she put a deposit down just incase it is lost or broken? Is he/she allowed to take it home? --IF so why? Most likely there is no internet at home. (IT would be better to have a set of good laptops, not notebooks, for a full class and the teacher can sign them out when needed. With notebooks, there are no CD/disc drives )

Sad Yingluck isn't focussing how to get a more updated curriculum and better trained teachers in the classroom instead of usinng gadgets to improve the system. Don't missunderstand me, using computers in the classroom is a must in the 21st Century, but so is the curriculum and teaching.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

No one answered the question I posed on this before so I presume no one knows.

However it would seem to me that to continue with this thing there will have to be a new lot bought every year as there are a new lot of students every year.

For if a student is allowed to take keep the thing after 3 years then it would have to follow that student through school for those 3 years.

If a new lot was not given every year then only students from the one year that this lot was given out would have (have the use) of one.

If they are to be passed down to the next lot of students in the next year then it will only be those who get the use of them in the third year that get to keep them.

Then of course without replacement they will be gone from the school system.

Looking at the advances in technology they will be far outdated by then anyway.

And the funds for this is coming from where? the education budget?

You about hit the nail on the head. And yes. The funds come from the education budget.

It was a dumb idea last year and is still a dumb idea this year. And will be a dumb idea next year. All the while not even bringing a benefit to Thai electronics manufacturing because they are all sourced out side Thailand. Go figure :rolleyes:

• Like 1

A tablet/computer is only a tool, like all tools you have to have the knowledge to input information.. a bit like a calculator, it can give you a wrong answer just as quick as a correct one !

This tablet could be a good addition to Thai education, but only if used & taught in the correct way, which I think is where the trouble will start !

I think you way underestimate a childs ablility to learn and adapt by doing..... as opposed to listening.

1.7 million tablets. But NO charging stations. And most schools don't have enough plug sockets......1363873080529.jpg

You are of course talking about the schools that have electricity.

Funny the Government is so silent about the others.

To be fair its ONLY 2000 schools with no electricity. I wonder how many DON'T have sufficient internet connectivity!

1.7 million tablets. But NO charging stations. And most schools don't have enough plug sockets......1363873080529.jpg

To be fair its ONLY 2000 schools with no electricity. I wonder how many DON'T have sufficient internet connectivity!

diesel generators? - also can!

I mean - we can also supply power diesel generators to your non-electrified 2000 schools.

No problem at all.

PM me! Everybody will be very happy.

diesel generators? - also can!

I mean - we can also supply power diesel generators to your non-electrified 2000 schools.

No problem at all.

PM me! Everybody will be very happy.

Contact the government. We really don't care to much. Be proactive in your business.

PS: I have been told its fairly cheap to be a sponsor on TV. Then you can advertise to your hearts content :D

In the last few months I have enjoyed the opportunity of training and working with two young students and a guy probably older than most of the fossils on this forum, the guy started out not even computer literate, but his interest awakened by my efforts to empower him have brought him up a very steep learning curve, monitoring his attention to detail and observing his enthusiasm have been a wonder to behold. The students impressed me too displaying all the same charecteristics and enthusiasm. But there was one major difference in the training, the students already enjoyed the knowledge to use the tools to assist in their learning and contribution. Their task was made so much lighter by the fact that they could concentrate on the process and deliver the required output, the guy without the tools experience was struggling, it was a big ask to have him follow the process too, but he has admirably stuck with it.......so my conclusion, allow children to have everyday experience of modern technology......yes....no brainer

OK Geo there is no dispute that kids need to keep up with and learn of new technology what is the problem is how this Govt is going about it.

We also have kids come to our place after school to do their homework, the Mrs'es sisters 3 (one of them lives with us) and 2 others and there are 3 lap tops and 3 tablets here, not school ones, and the kids make use of them but unfortunately mostly for games, however that still teaches them how to use them.

As you are such a big supporter of the present Govt you might like to answer the questions of my previous posts.

I have an additional question:

If the tablets are to be an ongoing thing and the money is to come from the education budget will that budget be increased to cover the costs of buying, delivery, repairs and maintainence and teacher training in their use?

I ask this because if not then it would mean that something else in education would have to make way for the tablets.

Because we have the kids here after school we are seeing the flaws in the education system, some of which could be quite easily and cheaply fixed.

In my opinion putting the emphasis on tablets means that the real problems with education are not being addressed.

Indeed there are undoubtedly flaws in the education system, in my experience there is rather a lot of after school activity instigated by teachers and parents. As always I have a differing slant on things to many and I guess my take on education is no different. You see I have evaluated my education, my career history, my advancement, and the benefit derived from carrying a varied amount of knowledge and understanding garnered through school learning and the learning school of life. So I have arrived at a very simple basic conclusion, the amount of knowledge thrown at an individual is not of high value. The ability of a child to retain knowledge is paramount. Thus I see the tablet as a tool that will encourage use of the memory even if for games, or learning a popular song to sing along to, and thus provide an ability that rote learning in the classroom does not neccessarily develop. Just my thoughts on what I believe to be a useful tool and enabler. As for funding, I believe the reason for your lack of answers can be summed up in a response I occasionally receive from my wife (always in good humour)......"When I know...you can know"

Edited by 473geo

Great, now Thailand will have the world's best competitors of Angry Birds. How this program made it past the initial idea stage is mindblowing. Students will be allowed to take them home, which means they will be lost, "lost", broken, and abused. Instead of buying a ton of useless tablets, might they spend their money on buying some common sense?