Uk Car Rental Dilemma

chonabot

I am returning to the UK in 4 or 5 weeks with my wife and son.

I taught here for a year and we had hoped to stay, but my son's education didn't go as planned.....long story smile.png

So we are going back home for at least a few cold and miserable years.

I'm not worried about work as I have some writing jobs that will pay the bills, finding a place to stay is also not an issue.

Regards a car, I will probably buy one after we settle and decided to sort out a rental car for the first 2 weeks.

I booked a car and paid for it earlier today.

When I got the receipt, I read something that concerned me.

I booked the car using my UK Bank's debit card, this is registered at my parents address.

My UK driving license is still registered at my old house - now sold.

Because the 2 addresses do not match there is a problem.

I emailed the company who told me as long as I have a flight out of the UK, they can treat me as an overseas resident.

I don't have one, but I could always buy one and cancel it later?

I also went to the UK.gov website and had my license details changed to reflect my parents address.

This will take about 2 weeks, hopefully they can send it to me before I leave.

Of course I should have changed the driving license when I sold the hose,as I did with the bank accounts etc.

Has anyone had a similar experience and how did you get out of this dilemma.

Cheers

Chonabot

I always use Enterprise to hire my cars and as my parents live close to LHR, I hire from their local branch and not LHR. I asked which was better UK or Thai licence and was told to use my UK one every time, I have it registered at my parents address. Renting at LHR with a foreign licence incurs additional costs, well certainly with Enterprise.

I always use Enterprise to hire my cars and as my parents live close to LHR, I hire from their local branch and not LHR. I asked which was better UK or Thai licence and was told to use my UK one every time, I have it registered at my parents address. Renting at LHR with a foreign licence incurs additional costs, well certainly with Enterprise.

My UK license is still valid, I suppose, but if I just turned up at the desk with the license ( old address) and debit card ( parents address )

could they see the difference on their system?

I mean, would my UK debit card show the registered address?

Edited by chonabot

As far as i know they have no access to where the card is registered, they only know if its valid current and authorised. I have used my uk licence many times and it has an old address not current one and never been questioned or challenged.

They only seem interested in validity.

As far as i know they have no access to where the card is registered, they only know if its valid current and authorised. I have used my uk licence many times and it has an old address not current one and never been questioned or challenged.

Two slightly boring points:-

(A) The bank card transaction will not go through if it is not linked to the registered address.

(B) It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act if your driving licence does not show your current address. It won't affect car hire but it could attract a fixed penalty IF you are caught up in having to present documents to the police.

sorry...............coffee1.gif

My UK license is still valid, I suppose, but if I just turned up at the desk with the license ( old address) and debit card ( parents address )

could they see the difference on their system?

I mean, would my UK debit card show the registered address?

The credit card I use to book my car is from a UK company but the address is Thailand, never seemed to cause a problem for me however it is a credit card and not debit so not sure.

Sounds good - the card went through as it is registered with my parents, technically my UK address.

I may ballsed it up by contacting the Hire Car help desk and telling them my problem .....hmmm

I guess I could always cancel and use another company?

I rented from Enterprise at LHR two weeks ago using a UK license with an address that was ten years out of date, they didn't bat an eyelid. I did however give them the choice of using the UK license or my Thai one and they didn't really care. What I did also take with me was proof of address in the UK and in Thailand, letters from HSBC and similar, that seemed to smooth the process.

• Like 1

I rented from Enterprise at LHR two weeks ago using a UK license with an address that was ten years out of date, they didn't bat an eyelid. I did however give them the choice of using the UK license or my Thai one and they didn't really care. What I did also take with me was proof of address in the UK and in Thailand, letters from HSBC and similar, that seemed to smooth the process.

Did they ask to see your flight details at all?

Mine enquired about a flight back to Thailand.

Did they ask to see your flight details at all?

Mine enquired about a flight back to Thailand.

Nope, I explained that I was going to be there for about two weeks and that was all.

• Like 1

Sounds good - the card went through as it is registered with my parents, technically my UK address.

I may ballsed it up by contacting the Hire Car help desk and telling them my problem .....hmmm

I guess I could always cancel and use another company?

No problem - same for Rab C - if you give the address that the card is registered at then OK - that could be UK or Thailand.

The fact that the DL address differs will be of no consequence to them.

Did you know that failing to change the address on your driving licence is an offence and you could be fined I think up to £1000.

indeed:-

Change of name and/or address

If you change your

name, address or both you must inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing

Agency (DVLA) immediately. You can update your driving licence online or

send it to the DVLA to be amended. A new licence will be issued free of

charge unless your photograph’s due for renewal.

Failure to notify the DVLA of any changes to your name and/or address is a criminal offence and you could be fined up to £1000.

http://www.needasolicitor.com/Driving-Licence-Laws.html

Did you know that failing to change the address on your driving licence is an offence and you could be fined I think up to £1000.

indeed:-

Change of name and/or address

If you change your

name, address or both you must inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing

Agency (DVLA) immediately. You can update your driving licence online or

send it to the DVLA to be amended. A new licence will be issued free of

charge unless your photograph’s due for renewal.

Failure to notify the DVLA of any changes to your name and/or address is a criminal offence and you could be fined up to £1000.

http://www.needasolicitor.com/Driving-Licence-Laws.html

No problem as I previously mentioned, I updated them online today.

To the best of my knowledge I have not driven in the UK since selling my house smile.png

Did the rental company suggest it would be a problem having different addresses or is it the OP's supposition that it will be a problem? I was unaware that license and payment method addresses were supposed to match. When I rented in the UK, I sometimes used my US plastic to pay whilst staying at my parents house which is the address on my UKDL (yes, I know the DVLC don't like people using holding or temporary addresses regardless of being UK born and licensed but just choosing not to live there). Sounds a bit Mickey Mouse that the rental company is asking about return flight dates but on re-reading the OP, this may be because they suggested they could treat you as a foreigner. Normally they just need the end-of-hire date. It doesn't matter to them if you are buying a car or leaving the country no?

Anyway, since the OP has already gone on line to make the DL address match the plastic, I am sure that it is already 'in the system' should someone want to check.

• Like 1

Unless you move overseas, in which case you cannot change your address and this is allowed. My proof of this is my UK license which has had a redundant address on it for ten years, during that period I have rented cars in the UK from the majors on at east ten occaisions plus the license has been subject to scrutiny by the Police several times, ahem, and returned to DVLA twice in order that they could make pleasing comments about my driving on it.

Edited by chiang mai

I hired from Thrifty last year and when I went to pick up the car they asked for proof of address. When I told them I didn't have it they asked for a copy of a outbound flight booking. Bear in mind they just photocopied it and shoved it in my file. They didn't make a call to the airline and push for anything. I used to know a company online (gone now) that used to "book" the flight and then give you 24 hours to pay them. I used these "bookings" on a number of occasions to show outbound flights for a visa on arrival......

Car hire companies in the UK do have a direct line to the DVLA if they need to verify anything.

I've been told this by both the DVLA, Avis and I've had to use it.

Most will only use it as a last resort and only if pushed. I guess it's a premium number etc. Anyway, I forgot the paper part of my license one time at LHR and forced enterprise to call DVLA for clarification. Was all fine, just took longer than normal.

In your case, you could either use your Thai license or if push comes to shove, get the hire company to call the DVLA hotline to confirm your change of address. Should be no problem.

Taking additional proof / documents as mentioned by other posters will also help.

Good luck and enjoy blighty!

• Like 1

I hired from Thrifty last year and when I went to pick up the car they asked for proof of address. When I told them I didn't have it they asked for a copy of a outbound flight booking. Bear in mind they just photocopied it and shoved it in my file. They didn't make a call to the airline and push for anything. I used to know a company online (gone now) that used to "book" the flight and then give you 24 hours to pay them. I used these "bookings" on a number of occasions to show outbound flights for a visa on arrival......

I'm using the same company - still waiting on their reply to my request about changing my DL address to my parents place.

If I don't get anywhere I will cancel the booking and try one of the others mentioned on here.

Did you try the TV link for car rentals?

It takes you ultimately to fastcarhire.co.uk and their search engine finds better deals than most rental company websites do.

I have used them for UK and Thai rentals and in the former, they only needed the type of license to be used and the credit card info. With the latter, their rates were cheaper than booking direct with the Thai rental agencies.

All in all, the OP having already filed an address change electronically, I think the whole issue is moot... but make sure you have the paper part of the UK license. I am always amazed that the plastic, high-tech, EU standard, multi-lingual DL's functionality appears to be trumped by a double-sided sheet of paper, printed in English, that's been folded so many times, it is falling apart.

• Like 1

I'm using the same company - still waiting on their reply to my request about changing my DL address to my parents place.

If I don't get anywhere I will cancel the booking and try one of the others mentioned on here.

I understand you anxiety and concern over this issue but I think you are worrying unduly, I think your major concern should be the billing address of your credit card, the address on your drivers license is almost a non-issue, I believe.

• Like 1

I rented a car in the UK using my Thai license. All they wanted to check was that I had arrived in the UK within the last month. Showed my passport which had the date I left Thailand (No UK entrance stamp of course) and they were happy and gave me the car. Also had to show my bank statement so they had a UK address to put on the records.

Chris

• Like 1

Bloody Hell - it gets worse.

I asked for a cancellation - they replied, asking me to use the website.

I cancelled via the website, without checking the Terms and Conditions.

Apparently any cancellation made after 24 hours of making the online reservation gets zero refund.

I paid 290 pounds for the booking.

Surely this is screwed up? The booking was for over 4 weeks away and I made it yesterday afternoon.

I emailed the customer services people and told them I was trying to change the dates and hit cancel by mistake.

The page for cancelling and changing details has the 2 buttons real close together.

What are my chances of some human empathy?

wow - 20 minutes after emailing them - I got a reply saying the booking was reinstated.

They are Human after all - now I just need to get past the address issue smile.png

I knew I should have stayed in bed today....

Edited by chonabot

My hair is turning grey just watching you go through all of this, you need to chill a little before you do some damage. :)

Again, I don't believe there's an issue with the address on your license, if you explain that you are a returning expat, that will fill in any gaps that might exist in their understanding. At the end of the day the rental company wants to do business, make a profit, know that you are going to return their vehicle in decent shape and, most importantly, that they will get paid, the fact that your license address may not be the same as your CC billing address, is neither here nor there, really.

• Like 1