Caught Drink Driving In Thailand And Put In Prison

Todd1985

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GarryP, on 22 Mar 2013 - 12:48, said:

A friend got caught in Lardprao driving under the influnce on a Saturday. He hit 260 whatever that means. It was his second offence, bail cost 20,000 Baht, and on Monday in Court he was fined 5,000 and ordered to do 30 or 35 hours community service. Told if he gets caught again it will mean time in jail.

I know a guy who was done recently driving a car drunk and stoned. He was caught with a small amount of ganja too - second offense. 20,000 baht and community service which he knows how to avoid.

I know quite a few who got 'let off' with a lot worse than this.

It's always wise to carry a decent amount of cash around with you at all times. The secret is not to let it go to court, if you know what I mean.

The only time this works is if you can have a deal with the copper before going back to the police station. As soon as you make that first court appearance you are under court jurisdiction and there is no way back handers are going to work. No Farrang every gets let of they just get charged more!

Did anyone read where the guy said he quickly threw back a beer and then had to blow in the bag?

How does that make him drunk? If we believe what he wrote then he only had one beer and the Police didn't follow standard breathalyser procedures and retest him after 20 minutes, when as he says the alcohol would have left his mouth and he would have blown well under.

Don't you people believe everything you read on the internet?

Let it go Bro too many righteous bored expats here unfortunately.

String 'em up, cut their balls off *YAWN* its boring and solves nothing but doesn't stop post after lemming post......

• Like 1

The procedures as posted by the op don't really make sense.

Normally it would be as follows:

- Arrest

- Bail, until court appearance.

- sentencing, usually a fine, often community service, seldom jail (or only suspended).

- After paying fines, return of bail.

- Arrest by immigration, followed by deportation. When convicted of a criminal offense, your permission to stay gets cancelled, hence the deportation.

This last part requires the arresting police station to forward your record to immigration. Apparently this does not always happens, hence not everybody seems to get deported.

In normal cases the whole process only takes a few days. Eventhough dui is classed as a criminal offense, the handling is much faster then a regular criminal case.

Tell us more about the 'special prison'.

To be honest, it sounds like he got it worse than if he had been in his home country (wherever that may be), or did he crash?

Its Pattaya remand prison down at Nong Palai.

Sounds like a troll to me. Story is full of holes at best

I've reread it and nothing adds up. So nicked and banged up in December came back on 15th March (thats 7 days ago) to attend another court hearing on the 18th March (4 days ago) gets his permission to travel and only now posts?

The procedures as posted by the op don't really make sense.

Normally it would be as follows:

- Arrest

- Bail, until court appearance.

- sentencing, usually a fine, often community service, seldom jail (or only suspended).

- After paying fines, return of bail.

- Arrest by immigration, followed by deportation. When convicted of a criminal offense, your permission to stay gets cancelled, hence the deportation.

This last part requires the arresting police station to forward your record to immigration. Apparently this does not always happens, hence not everybody seems to get deported.

In normal cases the whole process only takes a few days. Eventhough dui is classed as a criminal offense, the handling is much faster then a regular criminal case.

Monty I didn't know the last bit about DUI's being processed quickly cheers for the knowledge update.

Never heard of a foreigner getting community service or a suspended sentence but nothing surprises me anymore!

I always thought the bail bond was simply a guarantee you wont skip out of the country before the court case is heard and if sentenced to prison time the bail is returned because there is no need to guarantee you wont skip as you are banged up? How does it work with these bail bond people that put the money up for you guaranteed against something this way they have to wait for he person to finish their jail time to get the bail back. Not so good if someone gets life! BUT I do agree there are often heavy fines given out on top of jail time and if you don't have the money to pay the fines Immigration move you from one prison to the seriously nasty IDC at Swampy till the money s either paid or worked off at 200 baht a day.

You got what you deserve man, people that drive after drinking even 2 glass if beer are POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS PEOPLE. So truly hope no one will help you.

Alcool & drugs user stay in your country please it is already enought to have to deal with all these irresponsible locals men or women...

Edited by johnsuma

I have an aqaintance who got community service.

Apparently very easy to skip.

Bail is released when fines, if any are paid, and in case of jail term, when you start your sentence.

As said, bail only ensures you show up in court.

Bail is released when fines, if any are paid, and in case of jail term, when you start your sentence.

There is an option to give blood instead. which I suppose is serving the community.

There is an option to give blood instead. which I suppose is serving the community.

Are you serious?

Guessing a very minor charge no need to disclose.

Super easy to skip and I know people that have but as with most things in life it can come back to bite you.

What I don't get with sentencing in Thailand is they give crazy fines out but then cancel them on the Kings birthday. I knew a girl that got a 700k fine that was cut to zero after 2 years jail time. So anyone getting a jail sentence should never pay the fine straight off as it gets cut every year right?

johnsuma, on 22 Mar 2013 - 13:58, said:

You got what you deserve man, people that drive after drinking even 2 glass if beer are POTENTIALLY VERY DANGEROUS PEOPLE. So truly hope no one will help you.

Alcool & drugs user stay in your country please it is already enought to have to deal with all these irresponsible locals men or women...

There is a big problem here. It depends on the person so much. When I was an alcoholic, it would take me two beers to stop seeing the 'men from Mars'. It would be dangerous to drive suffering from DT's. I passed my UK driving test after a couple of beers. I failed it the first time due to 'nerves'. It would be dangerous for my wife to drive after HALF a glass of beer. Actually, it would be dangerous for her to drive full stop. My father used to talk about the dangers of drinking and driving, yet he was a prescription drug addict.

Alcohol is a deadly drug yet is socially accepted - there is where the problem is.

Driving is potentially fatal - ANYTHING that takes away your awareness should be banned. Talking on telephones should be stopped. I nearly ran off the road once because I was looking at my goggle maps on my phone. This is worse than driving with a couple of beers.

Yeah, recall he had several options...

So the person was found guilty given community service then told by the judge giving blood was an option?

Now I really am curious what the crime was considering the way foreigners are slaughtered in Thai courts with the sentences given.

Para, on 22 Mar 2013 - 14:14, said:
Neeranam, on 22 Mar 2013 - 14:05, said:

Are you serious?

monty, on 22 Mar 2013 - 13:58, said:

Super easy to skip and I know people that have but as with most things in life it can come back to bite you.

What I don't get with sentencing in Thailand is they give crazy fines out but then cancel them on the Kings birthday. I knew a girl that got a 700k fine that was cut to zero after 2 years jail time. So anyone getting a jail sentence should never pay the fine straight off as it gets cut every year right?

Para, on 22 Mar 2013 - 14:14, said:

Are you serious?

mont

y, on 22 Mar 2013 - 13:58, said:

Normally, it's fine OR jail.

Para, on 22 Mar 2013 - 14:18, said:

monty, on 22 Mar 2013 - 14:07, said:

So the person was found guilty given community service then told by the judge giving blood was an option?

Now I really am curious what the crime was considering the way foreigners are slaughtered in Thai courts with the sentences given.

Foreigners are NOT slaughtered in Thai courts.

Gullible, naive, un-connected, un-educated people are sent to court more often, whether Thai or foreigner.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

I don't know why you think foreigners are "slaughtered" in Thai courts. In the cases I'm familiar with, sentencing/fines were the same as everyone else. And in fact the maximum is clearly fixed in the legislation.

When my friend was sentenced.for the dui, it was serial work for the judge.

Heaps of Thai nationals, a few foreigners.

Sentence was decided purely based on your record, i.e. repeat offender or not.

Exactly the same fines both for foreigners and Thais.

Normally, it's fine OR jail.

I do prison visits so get to talk to a lot of Thai's and foreigners they all got jail and fines.

Foreigners are NOT slaughtered in Thai courts.

Gullible, naive, un-connected, un-educated people are sent to court more often, whether Thai or foreigner.

Sorry mate I don't agree with you. The only people that go to prison are the ones without the money and contacts to buy the charges off. Its got nothing to do with being gullible or uneducated I am sure if you did a poll on TV asking who had connections to get them off a charge it will be a lot less than 1% so does that make 99% of TV posters gullible and uneducated? Actually I think I have answered my own question!

And in fact the maximum is clearly fixed in the legislation.

Fairly obvious statement same as the minimum is also defined but its at the judges discretion where between them you end up.

When my friend was sentenced.for the dui, it was serial work for the judge.

Heaps of Thai nationals, a few foreigners.

Sentence was decided purely based on your record, i.e. repeat offender or not.

Exactly the same fines both for foreigners and Thais.

Cheers.

Seems they go fairly easy on DUI's over here.

According to Neeranam, Gullible, naive, un-connected, un-educated people are sent to court more often. I'm guessing in your mates case it was that he couldn't run fast enough!

I'm not a fan of drunk drivers, but that is a relatively harsh sentence for a first time offender. Was there anything else to the story?

I've heard that it's a 20,000 baht fine, you show up in court, and they poo poo it away unless you do it again.

My mate was only fined 4500 Baht if I recall correctly.

Nothing gets poo pood away though, you do end up with a criminal record, and a repeat offense will likely see you serve time, and the added risk of getting blacklisted.

And in fact the maximum is clearly fixed in the legislation.

Fairly obvious statement same as the minimum is also defined but its at the judges discretion where between them you end up.

True. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the color of your skin or your passport.

I hope everything turns out ok sorry to hear of your misfortune

Mate dont show weakness with compassion you will be hand wrung to death!

The love to hate brigade,out in force.

What a sad bunch.

Some people just aint happy unless they are moaning about something or someone. But how boring would TV be without them thats the question.

My mate was only fined 4500 Baht if I recall correctly.

Nothing gets poo pood away though, you do end up with a criminal record, and a repeat offense will likely see you serve time, and the added risk of getting blacklisted.

Nicked for DUI and a 100 quid fine? WOW!

Suspended sentence or community service?

True. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the color of your skin or your passport.

Accepted it all depends on how poor, gullible and uneducated you are, right?