The Perfect Visa For Thailand ?

soi41

You often read here on Thaivisa, that a lot of posters here consider the visa-rules to be fascist, unreasonable and draconian.

So what would be a better way to do it, making it easier for people to stay here long time and at the same time allowing Thailand to protect herself?

Make having a healthinsurance compulsory to get a visa? A deposit of let's say 100k with the Thai government, to cover a ticket home (death or alive).

With those measures in place, the government could relax a little on the economic requirements in place today.

BTW I find it quite ironic, that it is getting more and more difficult to meet the visarequirements for many people following the rules, and at the same time you have half of eastern Europe here on ED-visas w00t.gif

Mods. even if this is visarelated, it is not exacly factual visainfo, so hope OK to put in general.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haven't you woken up yet? Thailand does not want farangs here unless they are 2 week tourists .

That will get a few people going.

Know plenty of people who have been here a long time, and whilst the visa rules are a pain it's hardly the worst. Now in my 8 th year myself.

haven't you woken up yet? Thailand does not want farangs here unless they are 2 week tourists .

Know plenty of people who have been here a long time, and whilst the visa rules are a pain it's hardly the worst. Now in my 8 th year myself.

Visa rules are not that hard if your married or old, in both cases you can just deposit money in the bank.

Visa rules are not that hard if your married or old, in both cases you can just deposit money in the bank.

Or if you a working

Or if you a working

Depends, if you want to start up a IT company doing business with your home country its quite hard as you have to employ Thais even though they can't help.

But yes if you are employed by someone its easy. (wonder why so many teachers have no WP and heard from a teacher friend its because schools dont like the hassle)

I have not lived in Panama but have visited on numerous occasions. Panama is a nice destination for retirees and they have incentives for attracting pensioners to take up residence there. The climate is nice, but the currency is the USD and cost of living is going up as the US continues their "grand experiment" in printing greenbacks. Thailand has many more beautiful places and a much more developed infrastructure and tourist market. Entertainment, housing and food costs are higher in Panama. Many of my expat friends that have been living in Costa Rica are relocating to Panama if that gives an idea. Anyone stuck holding property in Costa Rica is basically screwed since 2008 and they can't move their properties for 50% of it's value.

I posted the link about Panama Visa/Immigration/Residency rules not to promote Panama over Thailand but rather to contrast the two countries rules - regulations and basic attitude about attracting foreign residents. I am definitely coming to Thailand despite Visa limitations and the associated rules - But Panama is one place I will consider as a firm backup plan...

I think it's very short sighted to get rid of backpackers with shorter term visas. Let the bums in! They tend to gravitate towards certain areas anyway, so most of your country isn't affected. But give a 20 year old backpacker 3 months bumming around your country and you have a possible repeat visitor for life and someone who will spread the word to others.

I mean Thailand is only what it is, tourist wise, because it was cheap and easy and had great beaches. If it wants to enter a new market and compete with Hawaii, good luck.

OP's Topic "The Perfect Visa For Thailand ?" Discussing the attractive features that other countries provide in their Visa offerings seems to be a way to discover what might be a 'Perfect Visa for Thailand'...

I am having a discussion with a consulary adviser of my country's embassy on the topic what must be done when I pass away on Thai soil.

Fact is, as I am not marrried to my GF, a special notarized procedere must be accomplished to prevent my body from being stored in a fridge and taken back to my homeland, to be expensively buried there.

My embassy will be notified upon my demise and if there are no relatives to be found in my homeland, it's a BIG question of who will pay the costs that arise for either cremation in location or a transfer back for a burial. In either case, the costs can be a pain for all parties involved.

So maybe the idea of a smallish deposit with your country's embassy that would guarantee your host country a neat outcome in case of your demise or air-transfer back to your homeland, is not so far fetched.

However I strongly reject the need for an extra health insurance for expats on retirement visa. The 800,000 Baht on a Thai Bank account are in most cases more than enough to cover an emergency or longer stay in hospital , complete with a surgery.

Why I bring up this topic in a VISA - related post on the ThaiVisa Forum ? Because I think it's these problems with farangs that cannot pay Thais for emergency support, which are partly responsible in the regulation of Thailand's Visas policies. High risks, bad experience - harsh visa rules. No risks and some precaution taken - better visa rules for everybody.

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

The whole visa system in Thailand is designed for nothing else than to keep the farang poor and devoid of tangible assets,so on their enforced departure they will leave them to some bar girl!

All the people with work permits etc. on here make me laugh because most of them don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of...but they're 100% legal mind!

They've only changed all the ridiculous laws about owning houses you've built but not the land they sit on due to pressure from foreign governments,it really is a joke.Does anybody really think that if the collective governments of America,UK,Australia,Germany,Sweden et al say to Thailand jump,they don't ask how high?
Do me a favour!rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Just try to get a tourist visa to get into Oz without being able to demonstrate to Immigration that you have sufficient funds to support you during your stay. I have never been pulled aside anywhere in Asia and asked to show Immigration my bank balance - never.

The whole visa system in Thailand is designed for nothing else than to keep the farang poor and devoid of tangible assets,so on their enforced departure they will leave them to some bar girl!

All the people with work permits etc. on here make me laugh because most of them don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of...but they're 100% legal mind!

They've only changed all the ridiculous laws about owning houses you've built but not the land they sit on due to pressure from foreign governments,it really is a joke.Does anybody really think that if the collective governments of America,UK,Australia,Germany,Sweden et al say to Thailand jump,they don't ask how high?

Do me a favour!rolleyes.gif

Maybe it's not about us. Maybe the purpose is to keep bureaucrats in jobs and maximise the opportunities for corruption.

By the way, your comment about people that work here; all the expats I worked with had pots and windows.

I know its entertaining to work oneself into a lather of self-righteousness and superiority, but it doesn't really help your own case, or persuade others of the validity of your views. It just encourages those that already share your views to jump in and work yourselves up into a lathered mob.

SC

• Like 1

Just try to get a tourist visa to get into Oz without being able to demonstrate to Immigration that you have sufficient funds to support you during your stay. I have never been pulled aside anywhere in Asia and asked to show Immigration my bank balance - never.

I've never had to show my bank balance when applying for an Austalian visa either, nor when entering the United States. Nor Japan, nor Korea, nor, indeed, any country anywhere. The immigration authorities must recognise me, I suppose.

SC

stamps in my old passport going back 30yrs.married to my wf.[thai] 22yrs.all my asetts are here in thailand,definately not going anywhere at my age[young 68] the only move i will endure in the future will be to the temple.having to go to immigration and report like a crimminal on probation every 90days and then do the extension part is nothing but degradeing,so here is 20,000bht.for a 10yrs.stamp,and you are welcome to visit me anytime you like expences paid.oh be carefull of the dog.wai.gif

• Like 1

I agree with those that point out the "logic" behind many of the rules and regulations is a jobs programme for the bureaucrats.

Totally disagree that they only want short-term tourists.

TPTB are happy to host foreigners who are well-funded enough that paying a reasonable usage fee per-month, per-year for the privilege of being here isn't even an issue.

For those that complain about the inconvenience factor, OK fair enough but it's a minor complaint isn't it, and if you're actually well-funded enough and plan to really settle here long-term you can pretty much make that go away as well if you put the plan in place and follow through.

Those that complain about the cost issue are definitely self-defining themselves as among the not-as-welcome group, that is true, most Thais would agree that you should really return home - other than those you are directly subsidizing, but keep in mind TPTB don't care about them either, would be happy to have them go along with you as well but of course our own home country's rules are much more fascist and draconian than Thailand's.