2013 Honda Vfr 1200F

SumetCycle

Upon looking around google it appears there is a restriction in 1st and 2nd gear couldn't be arsed to read it all though again I'd take what ap Honda tell me with a pinch of salt. The 2010 and 2011 had that restriction. It caused a terrible torque drop between 2 and 4k rpm. The 2012 and 2013 VFRs don't have this 1st and 2nd gear restriction though.seems about right they were talking about poor torque in the lower rev range......think you still need to do a dyno run to clear this up. or the poster that bought this up needs yo supply a link to where he got that info from.

I was thinking of doing one anyway. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon looking around google it appears there is a restriction in 1st and 2nd gear couldn't be arsed to read it all though again I'd take what ap Honda tell me with a pinch of salt. The 2010 and 2011 had that restriction. It caused a terrible torque drop between 2 and 4k rpm. The 2012 and 2013 VFRs don't have this 1st and 2nd gear restriction though.seems about right they were talking about poor torque in the lower rev range......think you still need to do a dyno run to clear this up. or the poster that bought this up needs yo supply a link to where he got that info from.

I was thinking of doing one anyway. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I did my dyno last week at dirt shop for 600baht. Not sure what big wing bkk wants but big wing pattaya was 2000.

Upon looking around google it appears there is a restriction in 1st and 2nd gear couldn't be arsed to read it all though again I'd take what ap Honda tell me with a pinch of salt. The 2010 and 2011 had that restriction. It caused a terrible torque drop between 2 and 4k rpm. The 2012 and 2013 VFRs don't have this 1st and 2nd gear restriction though.seems about right they were talking about poor torque in the lower rev range......think you still need to do a dyno run to clear this up. or the poster that bought this up needs yo supply a link to where he got that info from. I was thinking of doing one anyway. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I did my dyno last week at dirt shop for 600baht. Not sure what big wing bkk wants but big wing pattaya was 2000.

On a 900k baht bike. I would hope Brian gets at least one dyno run free :D:P

Upon looking around google it appears there is a restriction in 1st and 2nd gear couldn't be arsed to read it all though again I'd take what ap Honda tell me with a pinch of salt. The 2010 and 2011 had that restriction. It caused a terrible torque drop between 2 and 4k rpm. The 2012 and 2013 VFRs don't have this 1st and 2nd gear restriction though.seems about right they were talking about poor torque in the lower rev range......think you still need to do a dyno run to clear this up. or the poster that bought this up needs yo supply a link to where he got that info from. I was thinking of doing one anyway. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

i wouldnt count on it. I didnt even get a free helmet with my bike. Thinking about they didnt even say thank you. They did say i was lucky to get it before the new tax....well i own a kawaski maybe hondas more generous.

i wouldnt count on it. I didnt even get a free helmet with my bike. Thinking about they didnt even say thank you. They did say i was lucky to get it before the new tax....well i own a kawaski maybe hondas more generous.

I'm thinking they can be.. went to the motor show today as a guest of Sumet cyles. Free fuel (I think that was Sumet rather than Honda) free lunch and free entry to the show. I didn't even buy my bike from Brian (did have some work done. Brian thanks for the Shad topbox. Good price. Excellent box)

Honda is actually one of the only ones that make Japan-spec large-displacement sportbikes- as mentioned, they've got a restricted VFR and 1000RR for their domestic market- it's mostly because they have such a rabid following in Japan that any local who goes to the trouble and expense of getting a level 2 bike license (which allows the rider on bikes bigger than 400cc- the test is expensive and difficult, and if you fail you start from square one) would still consider a neutered version. The rest of the Big-Four generally don't bother (one major exception being the VMax)- their bigger bikes can still be purchased domestically, but as 'import' versions subject to higher taxes due to the higher horsepower rating.

When I lived in Japan I rode a Japan-spec VFR-750F- it was limited to 77hp while the rest of the world got the 100hp version.

The new VFR is a fantastic bike- it's beautifully put together- even the paint is outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I am able to come up with another 2 ways to find out.

1). Try to dig info about engine no. or VIN no. I think you will know whether the bike is Japan or US spec.

2). Push to the limit 110 ps. should pass 220km/hr really slowly. The US spec will pass 240km/hr very fast. Top speed of US spec is around 260km/hr

I know from news quite a while that the reason big wing built office 4 years ago but had not started business until last year.

because they have problems with exhaust regulation. All their us spec bikes did not pass Thai reg (I said All). so finally they turned to sell Japan spec

instead. (After Ap honda waited Honda Japan to supply us spec with low co2 emission for Thai market but finally Honda ignored request)

1). Try to dig info about engine no. or VIN no. I think you will know whether the bike is Japan or US spec.

2). Push to the limit 110 ps. should pass 220km/hr really slowly. The US spec will pass 240km/hr very fast. Top speed of US spec is around 260km/hr

I know from news quite a while that the reason big wing built office 4 years ago but had not started business until last year.

because they have problems with exhaust regulation. All their us spec bikes did not pass Thai reg (I said All). so finally they turned to sell Japan spec

instead. (After Ap honda waited Honda Japan to supply us spec with low co2 emission for Thai market but finally Honda ignored request)

No need, I already know that the VFR 1200 sold by Big Wing is full power. I will post the dyno after the first 1000k service though. You don't happen to work for a grey bike importer do you? It seems like you really don't want people to buy from Big Wing. Are they cutting into your sales that much?

No need, I already know that the VFR 1200 sold by Big Wing is full power. I will post the dyno after the first 1000k service though. You don't happen to work for a grey bike importer do you? It seems like you really don't want people to buy from Big Wing. Are they cutting into your sales that much?

It's like I thought about your name. It remind me about Honda wing store in Nonthaburi province.(at the pongpetch junction) You might be the owner. So you are biased.

VFR1200F is not a popular bike. The sale is few because of it is expensive sport touring and the design that is so close to CBR 150, CBR 250 People say riding this bike.

other will misunderstood that you are riding CBR 250 or 150 (especially from long distance IMOP). Why buying this bike? BMW s1000rr can do a lot better with the same amount

of money. FJR can do better in term of tourer feel (Adjustable wind screen, accessorie plug and handle bar height) with 100thousand cheaper. Running distance is only 230km so

it is not very good tourer. It should be 300 km up. Fuel consumption is not distinctive good compare to other. (FJR or K1600 or R1200RT) around 17 km/l. The weight of the bike is

270kg OMG. It is a bit hard to take curve. 200kg or less is good for better maneuverability.

from the word above I must be a stupid grey importer. Selling weak points of the bike I would like to sell.

I am just a bike enthusiast. Grey importer can get this bike 2-3 thousand baht cheaper than big wing. That is counted. It is not very hard to repair and finding spare part.

People who keep thinking that Big wing offer the best offer. I just think, well. You did not study enough.

I am able to come up with another 2 ways to find out.1). Try to dig info about engine no. or VIN no. I think you will know whether the bike is Japan or US spec.2). Push to the limit 110 ps. should pass 220km/hr really slowly. The US spec will pass 240km/hr very fast. Top speed of US spec is around 260km/hr I know from news quite a while that the reason big wing built office 4 years ago but had not started business until last year.because they have problems with exhaust regulation. All their us spec bikes did not pass Thai reg (I said All). so finally they turned to sell Japan specinstead. (After Ap honda waited Honda Japan to supply us spec with low co2 emission for Thai market but finally Honda ignored request)No need, I already know that the VFR 1200 sold by Big Wing is full power. I will post the dyno after the first 1000k service though. You don't happen to work for a grey bike importer do you? It seems like you really don't want people to buy from Big Wing. Are they cutting into your sales that much? It's like I thought about your name. It remind me about Honda wing store in Nonthaburi province.(at the pongpetch junction) You might be the owner. So you are biased. VFR1200F is not a popular bike. The sale is few because of it is expensive sport touring and the design that is so close to CBR 150, CBR 250 People say riding this bike.other will misunderstood that you are riding CBR 250 or 150 (especially from long distance IMOP). Why buying this bike? BMW s1000rr can do a lot better with the same amountof money. FJR can do better in term of tourer feel (Adjustable wind screen, accessorie plug and handle bar height) with 100thousand cheaper. Running distance is only 230km soit is not very good tourer. It should be 300 km up. Fuel consumption is not distinctive good compare to other. (FJR or K1600 or R1200RT) around 17 km/l. The weight of the bike is270kg OMG. It is a bit hard to take curve. 200kg or less is good for better maneuverability. from the word above I must be a stupid grey importer. Selling weak points of the bike I would like to sell. I am just a bike enthusiast. Grey importer can get this bike 2-3 thousand baht cheaper than big wing. That is counted. It is not very hard to repair and finding spare part. People who keep thinking that Big wing offer the best offer. I just think, well. You did not study enough.

I am able to come up with another 2 ways to find out.1). Try to dig info about engine no. or VIN no. I think you will know whether the bike is Japan or US spec.2). Push to the limit 110 ps. should pass 220km/hr really slowly. The US spec will pass 240km/hr very fast. Top speed of US spec is around 260km/hr I know from news quite a while that the reason big wing built office 4 years ago but had not started business until last year.because they have problems with exhaust regulation. All their us spec bikes did not pass Thai reg (I said All). so finally they turned to sell Japan specinstead. (After Ap honda waited Honda Japan to supply us spec with low co2 emission for Thai market but finally Honda ignored request)No need, I already know that the VFR 1200 sold by Big Wing is full power. I will post the dyno after the first 1000k service though. You don't happen to work for a grey bike importer do you? It seems like you really don't want people to buy from Big Wing. Are they cutting into your sales that much? It's like I thought about your name. It remind me about Honda wing store in Nonthaburi province.(at the pongpetch junction) You might be the owner. So you are biased. VFR1200F is not a popular bike. The sale is few because of it is expensive sport touring and the design that is so close to CBR 150, CBR 250 People say riding this bike.other will misunderstood that you are riding CBR 250 or 150 (especially from long distance IMOP). Why buying this bike? BMW s1000rr can do a lot better with the same amountof money. FJR can do better in term of tourer feel (Adjustable wind screen, accessorie plug and handle bar height) with 100thousand cheaper. Running distance is only 230km soit is not very good tourer. It should be 300 km up. Fuel consumption is not distinctive good compare to other. (FJR or K1600 or R1200RT) around 17 km/l. The weight of the bike is270kg OMG. It is a bit hard to take curve. 200kg or less is good for better maneuverability. from the word above I must be a stupid grey importer. Selling weak points of the bike I would like to sell. I am just a bike enthusiast. Grey importer can get this bike 2-3 thousand baht cheaper than big wing. That is counted. It is not very hard to repair and finding spare part. People who keep thinking that Big wing offer the best offer. I just think, well. You did not study enough.

Does it matter?Vfr1200 is a good reference bike recognized worldwide limited or not and comparing it with bmw s1000? Maybe people have reasons for this that you do not know?And Bigwing at least offer something fully legal.Do you think gray market will get you a bike 200 -300 k less but have you ever asked why? Maybe crashed/cooked, maybe engine displacement statement was declared wrong for less tax therefore dodgy book/plate?Maybe ok to take this risk for 250k but i cannot for 700 k.

The sale is few because of it is expensive sport touring and the design that is so close to CBR 150, CBR 250

Err, the best not buy a Ninja as Kawa make a 250 that looks the same.

The VFR is a fantastic bike. One of the most refined bikes ever made. For sure there are a couple of major flaws, but I think that's Honda keeping a tradition going with their V4 bikes.

I also agree with some of immort post,its no doubt good that honda bigwing is hear but there pricing is terrible especially in the case of the restricted cbr 1000

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's like I thought about your name. It remind me about Honda wing store in Nonthaburi province.(at the pongpetch junction) You might be the owner. So you are biased.

VFR1200F is not a popular bike. The sale is few because of it is expensive sport touring and the design that is so close to CBR 150, CBR 250 People say riding this bike.

other will misunderstood that you are riding CBR 250 or 150 (especially from long distance IMOP). Why buying this bike? BMW s1000rr can do a lot better with the same amount

of money. FJR can do better in term of tourer feel (Adjustable wind screen, accessorie plug and handle bar height) with 100thousand cheaper. Running distance is only 230km so

it is not very good tourer. It should be 300 km up. Fuel consumption is not distinctive good compare to other. (FJR or K1600 or R1200RT) around 17 km/l. The weight of the bike is

270kg OMG. It is a bit hard to take curve. 200kg or less is good for better maneuverability.

from the word above I must be a stupid grey importer. Selling weak points of the bike I would like to sell.

I am just a bike enthusiast. Grey importer can get this bike 2-3 thousand baht cheaper than big wing. That is counted. It is not very hard to repair and finding spare part.

People who keep thinking that Big wing offer the best offer. I just think, well. You did not study enough.

The CBR 150 and 250 designs are based on the VFR, so what. I don't ride my VFR to gain face, I ride it to have fun. I don't really care what people "think" I'm riding. I love the BMW 1000rr, but it is not really suited for touring, is it? I can ride two-up all day on the VFR and not be sore. The FJR is also very nice, but more of a tourer. I wanted a sport tourer that was closer to a sport bike than a tourer. The VFR fits the bill. The range might not be good for the long open roads of America, but more than enough for Thailand. It sure is a heavy bike though. It only feels that way when I pull it out of the driveway. Once on the road it feels very light and agile. It also takes turns quite nicely. Just read the reviews. It is an expensive bike, especially in Thailand, but I wanted it and bought it. Simple as that. Also, being a 100% legally imported and plated bike will bring in a better resale amount.

Although maybe checking the VIN number would be easier. I just found this site. http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/honda.asp

Well this didn't help. It came back as an 83 Honda, with no mention of model. Here is Hondas domestic website. http://www.honda.co.jp/VFR1200F/security/ They have the VIN listed as SC63-1000001 for the the restricted Japanese spec VFR. The Vin number for my VFR is JH2SC71T1DK10004. I came up with nothing searching that as well. I guess a dyno will be the only way to settle this.

I also agree with some of immort post,its no doubt good that honda bigwing is hear but there pricing is terrible especially in the case of the restricted cbr 1000

I agree, the fact that you pay so much for a restricted CBR 1000 is pretty lame. If it weren't for the ridiculous import taxes though, the prices on their other bikes probably wouldn't be so bad. They did throw in free first class insurance and a trip to Kuala Lumur to watch the Moto GP race when I bought the 1000. There was another free trip to Kao Yai. They also offered continuous riding training, had free 24 hour roadside assistance, and free dyno runs. There is another free trip this year to Japan to watch the Moto GP there. Expensive, but there are a lot of extras when you buy an imported bike from them. It will be interesting to see what they bring in next year and if they start making some more new models here in Thailand.

I agree, the fact that you pay so much for a restricted CBR 1000 is pretty lame. If it weren't for the ridiculous import taxes though, the prices on their other bikes probably wouldn't be so bad. They did throw in free first class insurance and a trip to Kuala Lumur to watch the Moto GP race when I bought the 1000. There was another free trip to Kao Yai. They also offered continuous riding training, had free 24 hour roadside assistance, and free dyno runs. There is another free trip this year to Japan to watch the Moto GP there. Expensive, but there are a lot of extras when you buy an imported bike from them. It will be interesting to see what they bring in next year and if they start making some more new models here in Thailand.

I agree, but to me the worst thing was they didn't even tell you it was restricted. If my memory serves me correctly you found out on this forum. Paying that kind of money and then finding out later would create a massive lack of trust IMO that no amount of freebies would make up for.

I think the vfr is the better bike for you anyway given your requirements, but as someone who runs a sizeable Honda dealership to not be informed by Honda themselves that the 800k baht bike you bought is not even full spec is incredible. Of course given this is Thailand it could have just been incompetence and they might not have even known, but given that these guys would be servicing my bike for x amount of years I might prefer they were a little bit sneaky than totally ignorant. It's certainly put me on my guard when potentially dealing with Big Wing.

Anyway, what's done is done and I reckon you'll have a great time on the VFR, tons of power and comfort in equal measure.

• Like 1

If you compare models on the Big Wing website, it clearly lists the 1000RR as restricted and the VFR as unrestricted (under the comparison section) with 116hp vs 170hp respectively- I don't know why people are still implying the VFR might not be full power.

My instincts tell me you're correct, it's probably full power. However, that Honda website giving false/incorrect info probably wouldn't make the top 1000 of misleading things I've seen here. They can say what they like, it's not like there's any comeback. It's Thailand, they are Honda and you're a consumer so it's a case of doing the dyno and then accepting the results :)

If you compare models on the Big Wing website, it clearly lists the 1000RR as restricted and the VFR as unrestricted (under the comparison section) with 116hp vs 170hp respectively- I don't know why people are still implying the VFR might not be full power.

Is it KRSpam1?

I wondered how long before you'd be back hehehoho, need some cash for the Visa run?

I agree, but to me the worst thing was they didn't even tell you it was restricted. If my memory serves me correctly you found out on this forum. Paying that kind of money and then finding out later would create a massive lack of trust IMO that no amount of freebies would make up for.

I think the vfr is the better bike for you anyway given your requirements, but as someone who runs a sizeable Honda dealership to not be informed by Honda themselves that the 800k baht bike you bought is not even full spec is incredible. Of course given this is Thailand it could have just been incompetence and they might not have even known, but given that these guys would be servicing my bike for x amount of years I might prefer they were a little bit sneaky than totally ignorant. It's certainly put me on my guard when potentially dealing with Big Wing.

Anyway, what's done is done and I reckon you'll have a great time on the VFR, tons of power and comfort in equal measure.

It was a real kick in the balls to find out that the 1000 was restricted on the forum. In fairness though, I ordered the bike at the Bangkok Motorbike Festival and didn't ask if it was restricted. I didn't know anything about restricted Japanese spec bikes. I asked them the next day and they confirmed it was restricted. In the end I reasoned a restricted bike might actually be better for me, as it was my first liter bike. It turned out I was wrong. I really should have just changed my original order to the VFR as soon as I learned the CBR was restricted. Live and learn I guess. I lost a bit of money, but don't regret my time on the Blade. It was a lot of fun and everything worked out in the end.

Thanks, I didn't realize they had added that section.

My son has a CBR1000 and he says that after riding a CBR600 it's a whole new ball game on the 1000. First track day he ripped 6 seconds out of his CBR600 times. That was at Broadford, Vic, Au. He has done advanced rider training courses so knows how to get the most out of it! He's just waiting to get the opportunity to ride Philip Island.

post-63954-0-75006500-1366300123_thumb.j

• 4 months later...