'the Damage Done' In The Uk

Guest endure

The book was OK actually, as long as you don't believe 99% of what is written.

It is portrayed as factual, in FACT, it's fictional for the most part.

'Mr Nice' by Howard Marks is a much better book in my opinion.

The Damage Done is 99% fiction.

99%, that's a lot. What makes you say that? What's fiction about it? I'm genuinley asking. I read it and had no reason to disbeleive it. Although when the BBC did their documentary on it a couple of years ago, I watched it and thought it didn't look as bad as he said. Although obviously 13 year sentences and the death penalties given out are incredibly harsh. But the conditions in the documentary looked better than some Khao San guest houses for example, maybe that's not saying much. But anyway, what makes you say it's 99% fiction?

Edited by robitusson

But anyway, what makes you say it's 99% fiction?

Well maybe I am also exaggerating a little, but as you say, he did go over the top on the conditions.

As with most books about Prison life, they have to be spiced up for the readers sake, because Prison life is rather mundane and timetabled, not a lot going on so to speak, just a group of guys that are locked up. hardly gonna set the literary world alight with that base.

So for people to exaggerate the conditions to the way he did, or his ghost writer did is understandable, but nevertheless misleading.

Then again, Midnight Express was written by a guy that had been done for drugs, in Turkey. William Hayes.

I thought the Midnight Express the Movie was excellent, but it was different to the book for dramatic reasons.

Actually, writing that book - The Damage Done - was probably a much greater crime against humanity that heroin trafficking...

Ha ha, you could be right Dan sai kid.

I wonder if it will be on Sale at the New Lotus in Loei when it opens? :o

I bought my copy in Thailand and could not determine if it had been heavily abridged or was just poorly written. There seemed to be huge gaps in the narrative.

As far as it being fiction...well it all seemed plausible, but I know nothing of the Thai penal system. I know the Turks got upset over Midnight Express because they felt that it in no way reflected the true conditions of their prisons.

"I bought my copy in Thailand and could not determine if it had been heavily abridged or was just poorly written. There seemed to be huge gaps in the narrative."

I bought mine at Edinburgh Airport back in 98 or so on the way to LOS but thought the same as you.

The same goes for

hel_l's Prisoner by Chrustopher Parnell

and

Welcome to hel_l by Colin Martin

In all three there seems to be serious exaggeration or downright lies - to find mistakes contradicting themselves is quite common too.

The only one I thought was half decent was Sandra Gregory's - Forget you had a daughter

At least she apologised to the Thai King and people.

She went on to get a degree from Oxford but put this off to spend a year lecturing in schools about the evils of drugs - I see this as a positive example of rehabilitation - something many on this forum believe is not possible and would hang for a parking offence while probably hiding dark secrets of their own..

But anyway, what makes you say it's 99% fiction?

Well maybe I am also exaggerating a little, but as you say, he did go over the top on the conditions.

As with most books about Prison life, they have to be spiced up for the readers sake, because Prison life is rather mundane and timetabled, not a lot going on so to speak, just a group of guys that are locked up. hardly gonna set the literary world alight with that base.

So for people to exaggerate the conditions to the way he did, or his ghost writer did is understandable, but nevertheless misleading.

Then again, Midnight Express was written by a guy that had been done for drugs, in Turkey. William Hayes.

I thought the Midnight Express the Movie was excellent, but it was different to the book for dramatic reasons.

There is absolutely no comparison to the prison in turkey and the bangkok hilton, in the 70,s there were numerous europeans in prison in turkey for drug offences, many held without trial for up to 3 years with no consular help, subject to torture and rape on a regular basis, my younger brother and his wife were both caught smuggling drugs and were in prison in istanbul for 13 months, without a doubt they were guilty, but the abuse they endured has scarred them for life, I bent the law a little bit, to get them out of turkey, but thats another story , I still stand by my opinion that all drug smugglers should be punished, nignoy

I see the self-righteous are out in force on this thread.

Not only out in force but dragging Garry Glitter and Pedophiles into the picture too. Well I guess if you are going to get up on your soap box you might as well tackle all the world’s wrongs in one go.

So what exactly is wrong with a convicted drug dealer writing a book?

He is not making money out of his crime, he has written a book about his experiences during the punishment for a crime. What he has to say is obviously of interest, if it were not the book would not sell.

What would you rather he do, go back to trafficking drugs?

Would you ban all ex prisoners from writing books? Would you have banned Charriere from writing his story? He packed it with as much fiction as fact but left us with what is recognized as a world classic.

Or would you rather ban somebody writing a book on the basis that is upsets your own idea of what is right and what is wrong - maybe you would do the same with cartoons too?!

A convicted, sentenced and TIME SERVED drug trafficker, he has written a book about his experience. Maybe, just maybe, someone reading that book will be deterred from drug trafficking – if so it will have done more to fight that crime than any amount of self-righteous indignation.

You can Google “Charriere” if you wish.

No need to google Charriere, Papillon was a wonderful book and remains so.

Good point you raise though, definite food for thought. I myself have read several 'prison experience' books and gleaned many hours of enjoyment from doing so. Having said that, I've always objected to criminals profiting from such ventures.......still thinking about it ......

I see this as a positive example of rehabilitation - something many on this forum believe is not possible and would hang for a parking offence while probably hiding dark secrets of their own..

An oasis of sanity amonst the lock-'em-up-and-throw-away-the-key or hanging's-too-good-for-'em brigades :o !

I read the book 'The Damage Done' last year. I liked it. Can't comment on the accuracy of it I wasn't there in the prison and I don't know the author.

Many hypocrites here. First....they BASH the guy for doing something illegal (drug sales)...then they BASH the guy for doing something legal (writing a book). :o

I too have friends and family hurt from <deleted> drug dealers. But once a guy has done the time then he's free to pursue legal activities. Would I want this fcuker living next to me? Of course not but his rights can't be taken away.

He did something really stupid....was caught....served his time....now leave him alone and give him a chance to straighten out his life......if he goes into the drug trade again......NO MERCY.

Just my 2 satang. :D