Thunderbird Stops Downloading

johnnort

Hello Technophiles,

I have just noticed that my Mozilla Thunderbird program, since two days ago, has stopped accessing and downloading the mail from my Gmail account. I use Gmail for all sending and receiving of mail but have Thunderbird to be able to access mail offline. It stopped working in the last version and continues in the same vein after updating to the new version. What could be wrong? I am running an ASUS laptop F55A with Windows 7 and Gmail continues to operate perfectly. If this gremlin cannot be ousted is there a similar program out there that will enable me to access mail (once downloaded) offline. Any guidance will be appreciated.

No problem here w/ latest T'bird and gmail.

Suggest you check your settings. From the File menu, empty the trash and compact all folders. If no joy, restart (see Help menu) with all addons disabled.

If it's not an addon, move existing mail to local folders. Delete the account and go thru the acct wizard and set up the account again. If it works move the mail back if you want to.

Hello BlackPuddingBertha,

Thunderbird opens and I can access all mail that has been Sync´d with Gmail, offline. However the program has stopped sync´íng my mail. That is, all new mail received into my Gmail account is not being copied into Thunderbird. As mail is building up in Gmail, Thunderbird´s mail has stopped since the 21st.

Hello BlackPuddingBertha,

Thunderbird opens and I can access all mail that has been Sync´d with Gmail, offline. However the program has stopped sync´íng my mail. That is, all new mail received into my Gmail account is not being copied into Thunderbird. As mail is building up in Gmail, Thunderbird´s mail has stopped since the 21st.

Does it try to sync? Do you get some sort of error message? Is the account set up as IMAP or POP? Are you sure that the corresponding accounts setting has not been altered on the Gmail preferences on their website?

Did you check that you haven't accidentally switched it into offline mode?

In the bottom left corner there is an icon of 2 computers, make sure they are blue color. If they are greyed out with a little X then you are in offline mode, click it to go online.

Did you check that you haven't accidentally switched it into offline mode?

In the bottom left corner there is an icon of 2 computers, make sure they are blue color. If they are greyed out with a little X then you are in offline mode, click it to go online.

If you're offline, then you get a warning message and offer to go online when you click to Get New Messages.

• 2 weeks later...

I noted everyone's comments. All settings were/are correct; Uninstalled and reinstalled; ran anti virus checks and still I have the same problem. Have given up and am temporarily using Windows Live Mail until I find another program that I am satisfied with. Thanks guys!