Who Has The Best Exchange Rate For U.s. Dollars?

rmicheald

I brought some dollars back with me from the U.S. which I do every year. Normally I just deposit them in my bank account here in Thailand. With the dollar being down I want to get the BEST rate I can. These are $100 bills.

Thanks in advance.

Good Q.

On a similar note, i thought i had a brilliant idea to check my bal at different ATM machines, 2 out of four actually worked and gave me the same exact balance!!!! to my surprise, since i was assuming the exchange rate is determined by each bank in thailand, sorry not exactly on topic, shop around?

I have a Charles Schwab account in the States. For me I have found I get the best rate using an ATM using that card (debt) as they give the T/T rate. Also Schwab pays the 150bt fee. It has $1,000 daily limit but I understand you can have it raised if necessary.

Opps! Sorry I didn't read close enough that you already brought your dollars.

Edited by willyumcr
  • Like 1

I have a Charles Schwab account in the States. For me I have found I get the best rate using an ATM using that card (debt) as they give the T/T rate. Also Schwab pays the 150bt fee. It has $1,000 daily limit but I understand you can have it raised if necessary.

I have Schwab too. Their rate, like other bank ATM cards, is based on the system that the ATM card is setup to use and it is not the T/T rate. On my Schwab card it is Visa(Plus and Interlink); other ATM cards may use MasterCard (Cirrus), for example. Your issuing bank or the physical ATM machine that you are using is of no consequence, which explains why the poster above got the same balance from different machines. What is important is that Schwab charges no fees and reimburses 150 baht Thai surcharge.

I have Schwab too. Their rate, like other bank ATM cards, is based on the system that the ATM card is setup to use and it is not the T/T rate. On my Schwab card it is Visa(Plus and Interlink); other ATM cards may use MasterCard (Cirrus), for example. Your issuing bank or the physical ATM machine that you are using is of no consequence, which explains why the poster above got the same balance from different machines. What is important is that Schwab charges no fees and reimburses 150 baht Thai surcharge.

You are correct. I also have Visa (Plus and interlink). I didn't realize Schwab had other debt cards other than Visa. I have noticed that after I change I check account on line and it is very near the T/T rate and that is why I thought it was T/T rate. In any event higher than local banks for cash. Yesterday for instance I changed 10,000 (+ 150 fee) and Schwab charged my account $348.28 and I get the 150bt returned at end of month. A good deal as far as getting money here. I think better than bringing lots of $100 bills.

Again a bit off topic and sorry BUUUUT

with 1% in the usa and the 150 baht here

i took out 14,500 and it comes out to a measly 28.56 baht on the dollar

which i guess i should be happy with, you can all gloat now, how you get much better. tongue.png

Oh and thanks to someone on TV i asked my bank to waive their fees and they did reimburse me some, i got about 65 bucks, but that was as far as they would go.

Edited by infinity11

OP, Super Rich on South Pattaya Rd. give a good exchange rate, better than your bank.

Can anyone give more specific directions to Super Rich, please? Thanks...

It is a small booth on Pattaya Tai, (south road), about 30 meters east of the intersection of Pattaya Tai and 2nd Road. It is on the north side of the street, opposite side from the school, before the temple.

I went to T & T today on second road. I received 29.27 on $5,000 USD. The banks were 28.84.

Can I ask was that their standard rate (as advertised on the window) or did you request a better rate for the $5k?

I went to T & T today on second road. I received 29.27 on $5,000 USD. The banks were 28.84.

Can I ask was that their standard rate (as advertised on the window) or did you request a better rate for the $5k?

Their posted rate was about .2 lower. I asked for a better rate since I was cashing $5,000 USD

For cash, try Yenjit.

http://www.yjpattayaexchange.com/4.html

They will increase their posted offer for larger amounts of currency.

Not always unless they have started again. I used to use them then switched to TT who always gave a better rate but the goalposts are always moving. I have also occasionally used a guy opposite CIMB on third road heading to Pattaya Nua just past the Klang junction who will sometimes better the TT shop rates.

I was reading on another forum about another new exchange somewhere near soi Honey/Diana that is meant to be better than the quoted TT rates but have not checked myself.

Worth getting the numbers of a few and checking in advance each time. Just a shame there is not a Superrich of BKK fame in Pattaya.