British Man Trapped In Thailand For Four Years Is Back Home

webfact

@ Alfredo. The time line was I typed the original which was my honest recollection at 14:54. Once I had saved this I subsequently saw a new post from KRS1 at 15:05 stating that he know the case and the people so I amended my post at 15.06 to reflect that. Interesting someone came in held a copy of my original post and then choose to use that subsequently firstly at I presume at 15:17.

In other words the section in brackets was added not REMOVED.

I trust that is now clear.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC says 3 years not 4. Made me giggle when he says the landlord lied under oath, who'd have thought it? It's a national sport <deleted>!

As far as I understand that would require the defendant to sue, and is not treated as something that the court would prosecute. In fact, a friend of mine went through a court case where one of the judges actually commented out loud in Thai that that accuser was "go hok".

Such are the anomolies of the system here.

Could you translate "go hok" for me and any other reader that does not know what it means?

Thank you.

Any of us living or visiting that country is considered as a walking ATM. It is true and any chance a Thai person might get or see to exploit,they will not hesitate or rethink but bounce on IT. I must admit I have wonderful Thai friends who never allow me to spend a penny when in their company but then again I have many others compeltely the opposite:)

I am flying back to cairo,my birth place for a break even though it is a mayhem smile.png

I believe it should be in that way,

who has really a good bit or (much) more, than the others, buddies and friends, invites more often spends more,

if he is not greedy and feels utilized.

For me just normal behaving. I was used to have more, did let my buddies live better than they could and now the tables have turned. (I sorrybah.gif about that!)

I get invited for lunch, dinner and even a trip. Why not. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I really don't think that the government would start complaining here about a tarnished image.

i am really blind and missed that or is it that you are maybe seeing things that are not there in reality.

here are a few links to recent spats by the government (snip...) I could go on for a while but have better things to do

auntbob. none of these links have anything to do with this case.

It is clear why people stop trying to respond to your ridiculous comments.

You say you "don't think that the government would start complaining here about a tarnished image"

yourauntbob gives some quite good examples of the Thai government complaining about a tarnished image.

And you say he is off topic. Pretty manipulative logic on your part.

He wasn't responding about the topic. He was responding to your challenge.

No wonder people stop talking to you.

Thank you for voicing my very same opinion and to Gentleman Jim in the other post about the aerial anti haze discussion ... I was not being rude to ZhouZhou as I am not a rude person... I simply told Him/Her to "Go Away " for the same reasons as stated here ... now if I would have been rude it would have sounded very very different I can assure you!!

I wonder what a Thai would have been sentenced to under the same situation? If Thais can get away with murder in their own country with connections/money then this crime would not allow them to even show up in court.

no one was sentenced here. the defendants got away with it because of insufficient evidence.
Got away with it? You're saying that they were guilty?

Not the impression I get when I review the January topic.

its of course up to interpretation. and no one is without sin. i heard someone say "farang always guilty"* but here he "got away with it".

i don't know the full story and not sure if everything is proper told in the "hoorey, we got our man back home" reports.

*see comment above. the poster seems to be under the impression there was a sentence against the defendant, meanwhile "Thais can get away with murder"

BBC says 3 years not 4. Made me giggle when he says the landlord lied under oath, who'd have thought it? It's a national sport <deleted>!

As far as I understand that would require the defendant to sue, and is not treated as something that the court would prosecute. In fact, a friend of mine went through a court case where one of the judges actually commented out loud in Thai that that accuser was "go hok".

Could you translate "go hok" for me and any other reader that does not know what it means?

Thank you.

"Lie"

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Why don't you all go home if you think Thailand is so bad?

Because cheap booze and bar girls makes it bearable. Take those away and you wouldn't find too many people visiting, never mind living in Thailand.

Thank you.

"not speak the truth". "to lie"

if your hear "go hok" said in a very serious voice often in your relationship you have do work on some improvement.

Thank you.

"not speak the truth". "to lie"

if your hear "go hok" said in a very serious voice often in your relationship you have do work on some improvement.

Because Thai lady never do that?whistling.gif

Everytime we have rented a house and paid a deposit we had to fight for the money back. Thai landlords seem to think they

can keep the deposits after making silly reasons.

I will only rent with a 1 month deposit now and take care.

Is deposit the norm because I've never been asked for one in some 14 years. I know it happens but is it widespread?

I wonder what a Thai would have been sentenced to under the same situation? If Thais can get away with murder in their own country with connections/money then this crime would not allow them to even show up in court.

no one was sentenced here. the defendants got away with it because of insufficient evidence.
Got away with it? You're saying that they were guilty?

Not the impression I get when I review the January topic.

its of course up to interpretation. and no one is without sin. i heard someone say "farang always guilty"* but here he "got away with it".

i don't know the full story and not sure if everything is proper told in the "hoorey, we got our man back home" reports.

*see comment above. the poster seems to be under the impression there was a sentence against the defendant, meanwhile "Thais can get away with murder"

How in the world do you interpret this man being held against his will in a foreign country for 4 years having "gotten away with it"? Over a civil matter at that. There are Thais that spend less time being incarcerated for murder.

And as for your assertion that the sentiment that the "foreigner is always at fault" is incorrect, well, we are all entitled to our opinions. Just as it is my opinion that the statement is spot on.

• Like 1

So if he didn't damage the apartment, then what was the motive of the landlord?

Can i suggest money was in there somewhere, even if he caused damage the bill would have gone through the roof ? I wonder what the British Embassy did to help him as they have even more time on their hands now that passport applications go to Hong Kong. Anyone for another round of golf ?

I just hope it cost the land lord a bunch of money, that is a best punishment for a greedy Thai

So long (4 years) is ridiculous over a rental. deposit dispute or whatever.

You wouldn't get that long for burning the place down in many a country.

I hope at least, the landlord lost 4 years rent!

Once i had a conversation with an elderly gentleman from an english speaking country living in Thailand. he was quite negative about a lot of aspects of the situation of living as a foreigner in Thailand. He insisted for example that if a Thai accused some Farang of doing whatever unlawful may it true or not then when it goes to the court the judge will always rule against the Farang.

Looks like such sentiments have no base at all.

"have no base at all"

Which is why it apparently took four years, for an innocent man to be allowed to get on with his life, perhaps ?

Many people would surely have given-in to the landlord, and paid whatever, to regain their freedom !

The same thing it always is, money, he wanted a payoff.

Or some type of compensation from leaving the premises early, like breaking a lease? Story doesn't say any particulars, BBC anyway......

Can i suggest money was in there somewhere, even if he caused damage the bill would have gone through the roof ? I wonder what the British Embassy did to help him as they have even more time on their hands now that passport applications go to Hong Kong. Anyone for another round of golf ?

Given intl convention prevents intervention in legal domestic affairs what would you have them do?

Extend diplomatic services to one of their nationals, address the Foreign Ministry and all the other diplomatic niceties. I'm not saying they didn't just asking did they ? International conventions do not prevent governments representing their own people

Once i had a conversation with an elderly gentleman from an english speaking country living in Thailand. he was quite negative about a lot of aspects of the situation of living as a foreigner in Thailand. He insisted for example that if a Thai accused some Farang of doing whatever unlawful may it true or not then when it goes to the court the judge will always rule against the Farang.

"have no base at all"

Which is why it apparently took four years, for an innocent man to be allowed to get on with his life, perhaps ?

Many people would surely have given-in to the landlord, and paid whatever, to regain their freedom !

4 years? don't fall for sensationalist headlines.

furthermore wasn't that man living and working here in Thailand. should a foreigner be given a free run a way card when they are involved in a legal battle. that wasn't a random tourist, but a foreigner living and working here in Thailand, having legal contracts with local people.

admit, that it took three years sounds unfortunate but i don't see here a system behind it to milk the farang.

that it took sooo looong isn't even unsusual long for thailand. and thais caught in similar legal battles having them also for a couple of years.

I also have no idea what have motivated the landlord in question to file his complaint. In the end he had insufficient evidence as it looks like.

Everytime we have rented a house and paid a deposit we had to fight for the money back. Thai landlords seem to think they

can keep the deposits after making silly reasons.

I will only rent with a 1 month deposit now and take care.

Is deposit the norm because I've never been asked for one in some 14 years. I know it happens but is it widespread?

I have never been able to rent without a deposit and on my fourth rental lost my deposit twice with a blatant " No " on both occasions I have been in my current house eight years, have a nice relationship with the landlord but would bet anything that if I move out there will be no return

Given intl convention prevents intervention in legal domestic affairs what would you have them do?

Extend diplomatic services to one of their nationals, address the Foreign Ministry and all the other diplomatic niceties. I'm not saying they didn't just asking did they ? International conventions do not prevent governments representing their own people

You're dreaming, right? Do you even know what a mission's responsibilities are or do you just think they are yours to do as you wish . . . because your taxes pay their salaries, right?!

You didn't just ask, though, did you?!

There is a flaw in the Thai legal system . It is not only the Thais that take advantage . One crooked Brit developer based in Cherntalay and now hiding in Rawai, uses the Thai law sytem to further provoke anyone who stands in his way....it is unbeleivable that anyone who has ripped off so many is able to bring so many cases to court on

others, purely as a way to waste their time and money fighting cases...

Some how the court system does not help those who need it and yet is open to abuse by those with immoral intent.

• Like 1

I am waiting for the Thai government to come out and start complaining that he is now tarnishing their image by letting people know what happened.

you can wait long time. will not happen.

Would that be because apologizing would mean loss of face? Just asking.

We'll ask you how you feel about that statement once you've had to fight for 4 years over furniture.

I am waiting for the Thai government to come out and start complaining that he is now tarnishing their image by letting people know what happened.

you can wait long time. will not happen.
Would that be because apologizing would mean loss of face? Just asking.
apologizing for what?

i guess something like that can happen also in the UK, that a foreigner isn't allowed to leave the country because of an ongoing legal process.