British Man Trapped In Thailand For Four Years Is Back Home

webfact

This is disgusting. Clearly the landlord, a son of a high ranking policeman thinks he can extort money from anyone he likes.

I say good on them for standing up to them.

The Thai system is so skewed towards 'get the falang'.

As for the British embassy, I have visited and it was made very clear that I was encroaching upon their Facebook time during work hours. Next time I need the British embassy I'll explain the situation to my cleaning lady, the same response and hope of help. Pointless lot just sitting on their arse.

Edited by britgent

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think that the government would start complaining here about a tarnished image.

i am really blind and missed that or is it that you are maybe seeing things that are not there in reality.

here are a few links to recent spats by the government (snip...) I could go on for a while but have better things to do

auntbob. none of these links have anything to do with this case.

It is clear why people stop trying to respond to your ridiculous comments.

You say you "don't think that the government would start complaining here about a tarnished image"

yourauntbob gives some quite good examples of the Thai government complaining about a tarnished image.

And you say he is off topic. Pretty manipulative logic on your part.

He wasn't responding about the topic. He was responding to your challenge.

No wonder people stop talking to you.

• Like 2

Once i had a conversation with an elderly gentleman from an english speaking country living in Thailand. he was quite negative about a lot of aspects of the situation of living as a foreigner in Thailand. He insisted for example that if a Thai accused some Farang of doing whatever unlawful may it true or not then when it goes to the court the judge will always rule against the Farang.

Looks like such sentiments have no base at all.

If it was against another Thai do you think it would have dragged on for four years when there was absolutely no evidence of damage?

My Thai brother in law has been locked in a legal battle with a Thai landlord for the past 8 years. Appeal after appeal from the landlord after he loses (this is over a business premises I should add)

With all the advice and criticisms given on this forum in regards to the problems with Thailand, it still amazes me how many of you still want to come here and live.

The visa pages are filled with questions like "How can I extend my stay in Thailand", "they have changed the ED rules and now I have to find another way to stay here". "If I marry a thai person can I live here forever?"

Christ all mighty are most of you that thick. You state what a st*t hole Thailand is yet there you are pounding on the doors wanting to stay or come here. This guy got a raw, raw deal by renting from a corrupt individual. No denying that. Glad he is home now and maybe he can get some financial assistance for his time detained here (not likely though).

But for those living here and or wanting to move here.......see how corrupt and uninviting Thailand is. They do not want you here so stay away. If you come there is very good chance you will be arrested and thrown in jail or worse...

EVERY Thai citizen is looking at EVERY westerner to steal their money...why just yesterday I saw a Thai guy push over a young lady carrying a baby to steal it's candy....THEY will sink to any level to steal a westerners wealth!sad.png

Just thought I would jump on the old band wagon and join the people! What flavor is it this month?

• Like 2

Once i had a conversation with an elderly gentleman from an english speaking country living in Thailand. he was quite negative about a lot of aspects of the situation of living as a foreigner in Thailand. He insisted for example that if a Thai accused some Farang of doing whatever unlawful may it true or not then when it goes to the court the judge will always rule against the Farang.

If it was against another Thai do you think it would have dragged on for four years when there was absolutely no evidence of damage?

My Thai brother in law has been locked in a legal battle with a Thai landlord for the past 8 years. Appeal after appeal from the landlord after he loses (this is over a business premises I should add)

Omg 8 years, ongoing. and people here will still believe that 3 years are a conspiracy of thais against farang.

• Like 1

I really don't think that the government would start complaining here about a tarnished image.

i am really blind and missed that or is it that you are maybe seeing things that are not there in reality.

here are a few links to recent spats by the government (snip...) I could go on for a while but have better things to do

It is clear why people stop trying to respond to your ridiculous comments.

You say you "don't think that the government would start complaining here about a tarnished image"

yourauntbob gives some quite good examples of the Thai government complaining about a tarnished image.

And you say he is off topic. Pretty manipulative logic on your part.

He wasn't responding about the topic. He was responding to your challenge.

No wonder people stop talking to you.

thank you, could not have said it better myself.

they show a pattern of the Thai government claiming people supposedly "tarnishing Thailand's image," that was my original post was about, please stay focused.
the 2nd link was about some netizen complaining about some sexy calender. i don't see how that fits any pattern here about the government complain about tarnish images because of supposed to be bad reputation stories.

anyway. will it happen in this case "british man trapped". i said no. probably not.

some people here seems to think that such case like that one a part of a conspiracy of thais against farangs. or that that guy only got in trouble because he is farang.

thats is completely nonsense and however the government might be corrupt that has nothing to do with the topic.

and i am not defending here a corrupt government when i am not join in in boring thai bashing.

good for the guy that he can go finally home.

do i have to write how backward everything in Thailand is to get approval.

try to see things positive helps you to have fun while you stay here. but you calling me blind and not seeing the truth.

This is disgusting. Clearly the landlord, a son of a high ranking policeman thinks he can extort money from anyone he likes.

I say good on them for standing up to them.

The Thai system is so skewed towards 'get the falang'.

As for the British embassy, I have visited and it was made very clear that I was encroaching upon their Facebook time during work hours. Next time I need the British embassy I'll explain the situation to my cleaning lady, the same response and hope of help. Pointless lot just sitting on their arse.

My friend use to know the guys and girls from the British Embassy in Mumbai,India.He said they were all a bunch of pissheads who just partied all the time at the taxpayers expense,it was like the British Raj was still in place!

So if he didn't damage the apartment, then what was the motive of the landlord?

Blackmail to extort money from him.

Not wishing to stereotype but with a gay couple the place was probably tidier than when they moved in, Which reminds me of a joke, how do you know when you have had a gay burglar? Because your house is tidy and theres a quiche in the oven!

I'm here all week.

Occasionally, something goes down in Thaivisa, that just gives me hope for the future of expats here, both gay and straight.

On this occasion, if the poster is straight, thank you a ray of hope for a developing sense of humour. If gay, being able to laugh at oneself makes life a joyous thing to be part of.

Thank you for that Jeremy....

Now was that 5 eggs and a pinch of salt or 5 salt and a pinch of egg?

With a name like Jeremy I'm surprised you have to ask!laugh.png

I am waiting for the Thai government to come out and start complaining that he is now tarnishing their image by letting people know what happened.

you can wait long time. will not happen.

We shall see, but judging from some of your posts you seem to think that the Government is not corrupt. Either your walking around blind or simply do not want to see the truth.

Its called "Being Thai" whistling.gif

Thainess? rolleyes.gif

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/understanding-thailand/understanding-thailand-what-is-thainess.html

With all the advice and criticisms given on this forum in regards to the problems with Thailand, it still amazes me how many of you still want to come here and live.

The visa pages are filled with questions like "How can I extend my stay in Thailand", "they have changed the ED rules and now I have to find another way to stay here". "If I marry a thai person can I live here forever?"

Christ all mighty are most of you that thick. You state what a st*t hole Thailand is yet there you are pounding on the doors wanting to stay or come here. This guy got a raw, raw deal by renting from a corrupt individual. No denying that. Glad he is home now and maybe he can get some financial assistance for his time detained here (not likely though).

But for those living here and or wanting to move here.......see how corrupt and uninviting Thailand is. They do not want you here so stay away. If you come there is very good chance you will be arrested and thrown in jail or worse...

EVERY Thai citizen is looking at EVERY westerner to steal their money...why just yesterday I saw a Thai guy push over a young lady carrying a baby to steal it's candy....THEY will sink to any level to steal a westerners wealth!sad.png

Just thought I would jump on the old band wagon and join the people! What flavor is it this month?

I admire your honesty,it's very refreshing!

• Like 1

Great!

4 years of his life just lost...gone with the wind!

For "stealing furniture"!

Allegedly!

Hmmmm...why do I suddenly think of a couple, left out on bail, who burned a child with hot water, they kidnapped 7 years ago and kept like a slave in a dog-cage....

If you have a little money, the years in TH must not be "lost' and -gone with the wind-. wink.png

The man and his Asian Business partner-friend? had not been incarcerated

and did not sit in a really "uninteresting", "not entertaining" and very cold climate country. rolleyes.gif

The original reports noted that the landlord was a former policeman apparently, make of that what you will. ...

... The person who filed the charges against him was a son of a high ranking police officer. ...

and so the fairy tails start and the myths a born.

What happened to the son?

This story does not give full details and is rather vague.

Why was he not permitted to the leave the country prior to his court dates on condition that he was in Thailand on the days of the court hearings?

What were the landlord`s claims? Was he bailed? How did he support himself here? What was the final decision of the court?

Too many whats, whys and whereas in this case.

There were very detailed threads on this case back in January.

Link 1. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612296-embattled-brit-lee-chestnutt-forced-to-stay-in-thailand/

and his Singaporean partner

Link 2. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/613601-singaporean-suffering-the-same-fate-as-lee-chestnutt-thailand/

As to stories, my recollection was that the case was raised by a police officer as land lord, however I see herein that someone who claims knowledge of this says it was a police officer's son. I don't know and didn't claim to.

My view then as now was that by using Criminal Charges this placed the pair in considerable difficulty and made leaving problematic, To be fair many countries would treat the situation where a non national is charged with a crime [not a civil matter] that allowing the national to leave the jurisdiction would be unwise or unlikely [at least one is referred to in the threads]. It is interesting to note that even after the final appeal was rejected there were hurdles to cross including according to the Straits Times the payment of the maximum visa overstay fine.

Edited by A_Traveller
  • Like 1

I wonder what a Thai would have been sentenced to under the same situation? If Thais can get away with murder in their own country with connections/money then this crime would not allow them to even show up in court.

The original reports noted that the landlord was a former policeman apparently, make of that what you will. ...

... The person who filed the charges against him was a son of a high ranking police officer. ...

What happened to the son?

i don't know.

but i guess because folk tales are orally told and orally retold they vary in the content. depending on the narrative and memory skills of the current orator. in the F2,F3 generation of the story a son suddenly can becomes a pensioner. 3 years can becomes 4 years. free to move in thailand becomes detention and so on.

but it always sounds good if the one the evil side, the villain is someone high ranking or even better the son of someone high ranking. thats a stock character character of thai folk tales.

I wonder what a Thai would have been sentenced to under the same situation? If Thais can get away with murder in their own country with connections/money then this crime would not allow them to even show up in court.

I would want to know a lot more about the characters of these guys, exactly what they were doing in Thailand over the years and exactly how this state of affairs came about, before making any assumptions or judgements.

For the present, everything is only speculation..

Can anyone please point me in the direction where is published the landlord`s name or nationality, as I have not been able to find such information, or am I missing something here?

Edited by Beetlejuice

So if he didn't damage the apartment, then what was the motive of the landlord?

Everytime we have rented a house and paid a deposit we had to fight for the money back. Thai landlords seem to think they

can keep the deposits after making silly reasons.

I will only rent with a 1 month deposit now and take care.

Next thing is to send a letter, on a solicitor's letterhead, telling Mr Landlord to fork over some damages, and if he doesn't Lee is coming back with a bunch of legal eagles and soon su casa es mi casa.

This landlord, in the parlance of the generation before mine, is a sh_itheel.

no one was sentenced here. the defendants got away with it because of insufficient evidence.

no one was sentenced here. the defendants got away with it because of insufficient evidence.
Got away with it? You're saying that they were guilty?

Not the impression I get when I review the January topic.

>... The person who filed the charges against him was a son of a high ranking police officer. ...

-A_Traveller-

Quote, was actual

"The original reports noted that the landlord was a former policeman [A subsequent post notes he as a policeman's son] apparently, make of that what you will."

You shortened the comment, so it fits better in your sarcastic rant!

Not nice, I think, not even allowed on Thaivisa.whistling.gif

Anyway, Policeman, or Policeman's son, not so far apart! rolleyes.gif

Yeah, it only took 4 years though. How would you like your life to be put on hold for 4 years because of some landlord with a stick up his arse?

• Like 1