Conversational Volume

FunFon

I've been here long enough that I find most newby/tourist farang painfully loud, to the point that I'm frequently embarrassed for my "race" in public.

For example, you almost never overhear Thais conversing on public transport, unless you're right next to them and even then may need to strain, while it's common for a group of tourists to be speaking to each other loudly enough that you can hear exactly what they're saying from a dozen meters away.

I'd rather this not get into comparing different non-Thai nationalities as with the recently closed German thread, I think everyone has opinions about Yanks, Russians Brits etc depending on the context, so let's just avoid that aspect if at all possible.

So I guess the question is - have I become "too Thai" in this regard, or do others agree that speaking loudly in public is inherently rude?

Think its a thing of becoming too Thai.

I remember when I became too Thai with a twist.

Fun story.. i have an ex stepdaughter (divorced her mom she was from a different father) who is Thai but lives in The Netherlands.

I have learned not to show affection in public.. so there i am in a shopping center in BKK with a 15 yo thai girl (she came to visit me during her hollday) running at me shouting and hugging me and me feeling uncomforatble because of my becoming too Thai and she as a Thai but grown up in Europ not caring about it at all.

But Thais seem to love sound but not when everyone is silent on public transport. Anyway i keep my volume down but still speak.

When you get a bunch of Thai ladies talking and getting excited you can hear them from 6 bars away.

Chicken farm is the usual response.

I am not sure that Thais are great conversational among themselves in public.

And the Thai soaps on telly can be ear shattering.

• Like 2

IMO, this could be because Euro languages such as English and German are more guttueral. There is more of an emphasis on the consonants, particularly at the end of a syllable.

The Thai language makes more use of vowels, and the consonants at the end of a syllable are often non-aspirated, so their conversations just sounds softer.

I don't think this is much of a factor, differences could easily be measured with a decibel meter - have you really not noticed this as a cultural difference, say riding the BTS or sitting in restaurants (taking alcohol out of the picture)??

I find when a Thai is upset and purposefully wants to make herself heard - screaming banshee mode - they manage to get their "softer language" up to volumes higher than I've heard from Europeans.

People who have a bit of manners don't speak too loud, nationality is not a factor.

People on holiday are often excited, possibly under the influence. When they are part of a big group, they tend to shout louder.

Personally i hate it, i never travel with groups.

• Like 1

When you get a bunch of Thai ladies talking and getting excited you can hear them from 6 bars away.

Chicken farm is the usual response.

I am not sure that Thais are great conversational among themselves in public.

And the Thai soaps on telly can be ear shattering.

100% correct.

I believe the not make a scene attitude in Thailand, is something of the past.

Just go to a mall.

I think the Thais are particularly noisy and reckless. For sure the noisiest people around the pools and at the beaches, in restaurants and bars. Always startling when waiters or dancers chat and shriek at the top of their lungs, there's something wrong with their working ethics, too. Technology lifts the noise to a whole new level of course. I was to more than 60 countries, and haven't seen speakers fitted to bikes and scooters anywhere else, or sound trucks as loud as the ones along Jomtien Beach during the evenings. Add to that the bloody slow-moving sound trucks on the streets screaming promotions for businesses and politicians.

Personally I think it is more appropriate to base it on an individual rather than a nationality. I'm American but my voice is so soft that I have difficulty getting heard especially in a bar and end up with a hoarse voice trying to. I had a Canadian friend who actually scared Thais when he spoke but yet another Canadian friend soft spoken. Also German friends and Russian friends who are not at all loud.

• Like 2

Its not only newbies. Ive met many Americans who keep their initial loudness for decades. Maybe other nationalities are more culturally aware ? or maybe more open to change ?

IMO, it is not so much the volume, but what they are talking about. So many Westerners seem very pretentious to me when I listen to them talking in cheap restaurants with mostly Thai customers.

Personally I think it is more appropriate to base it on an individual rather than a nationality. I'm American but my voice is so soft that I have difficulty getting heard especially in a bar and end up with a hoarse voice trying to. I had a Canadian friend who actually scared Thais when he spoke but yet another Canadian friend soft spoken. Also German friends and Russian friends who are not at all loud.
Agreed, I have one particular American friend who is the most animated, loud person I know, he embarrasses me a lot in public but it's an individual thing, another guy I practically have to lip read.

Sent from my GT-N8000

Nothing; and I mean nothing is more ear shattering and pain inducing than the result of placing a large bowl of somtam in front of a group of Thai female's once they start gossiping. Throw in a few contradictory comments to wind em up a bit more and the resultant crescendo of competitive yacking is something to behold. Makes the sound of drilling concrete whilst listening to luktung music on sh1t speakers quite pleasant in comparison. wub.png

• Like 2

Its not only newbies. Ive met many Americans who keep their initial loudness for decades. Maybe other nationalities are more culturally aware ? or maybe more open to change ?

IMO, it is not so much the volume, but what they are talking about. So many Westerners seem very pretentious to me when I listen to them talking in cheap restaurants with mostly Thai customers.

Totally agree.

Quite a few times Im so glad the locals dont understand what is being said.

I bumped into a a fellow countyman the other day.

Turned out he was a racist of the worst.

He had been living here for 13-14 years!!

Didnt know if I should laugh or what.

Happy non of the locals understood what he talked about.

Anyhow,

No doubt the gentle smiling pleasent creature, which never rises the voice, that they always use in tourist PR here, is something of the past.

The modern Thai is loud.

I guess you have never been near my wife when she is on the cell phone . Seems like she yells . I can go outside and still hear her down the street . Maybe I need to get her ears checked although she has no problem hearing me when I tell her where the money is ........ Or where and when we are going to eat !

Nothing; and I mean nothing is more ear shattering and pain inducing than the result of placing a large bowl of somtam in front of a group of Thai female's once they start gossiping. Throw in a few contradictory comments to wind em up a bit more and the resultant crescendo of competitive yacking is something to behold. Makes the sound of drilling concrete whilst listening to luktung music on sh1t speakers quite pleasant in comparison. wub.png

Add a few Leos to that and you d better find somewhere else to sleep for the night .....

Of course some are loud they are drunk and on holiday, they don't care they will never see you or any thai around them again.

Now go to the market when the lottery results are released, Thai's are'nt always quiet.