Honorary Thai Consulates Around The World

I just finished dealing with the honorary Thai consulate in Honolulu. What a goat rope! I understand that many such consulates are local business owners, so I had no problem that the consulate is in the office of a house maid/cleaning service. But here's what it took to get a my visa. BTW, although I'm American I chose to get a tourist visa so I don't need to buy an onward or return ticket. I'm trying to fly by military aircraft & have no onward plans just yet.

First of all, their website has the wrong address. It's the address of where the cleaning lady business USED to be. But I didn't know that yet. Out front at the wrong place, there is a consulate sign. When you call their number, you get a recording with the same wrong address. It says to drop your application & passport in the drop box by the door and they will call you later to arrange pickup. I found out later they moved in December but haven't updated anything.

I drop my application & passport in the dropbox by the door. Two days later & still no call, I have a bad feeling about the whole thing. So I email the embassy in Los Angeles to ask the address of the Honolulu consulate and sure enough, they give me a different address. Now I have a really bad feeling. All calls to the consulate get a recording, and nobody calls me back.

On Day 3 (the day my visa should be ready) I go back to the strip mall with the intention of breaking into the drop box. I now have fears of identity theft. I bring along my implements of destruction but a filipino security guard is walking around and I don't wanna get busted. So I strike up a conversation, he says that office is unoccupied. the landlord is never around & nobody uses the drop box for anything. With his blessing, I proceed to break into the box which isn't really heavy duty. I pry off the front, break the lock and sure enough there is my paperwork, along with that of 2 other applicants. The guard sends me on my way, and it seems like he's just gonna leave the other passports in the now-open box so I offer to take them to the correct place & drop them off. If anyone reading this recently got your visa in Honolulu & wondered how your passport got to the right place, it's because of me. You can buy me a beer.

So I go to the new housecleaning storefront in an industrial part of town, the maid dispatcher takes all my paperwork & says someone will call. On the form, it asks how many entries I want; I check 2 so I can make a side trip to Laos while I'm there. The form says to pay with money order or personal check when you pick up the visa.

On Friday, I get an email from the consul; she says come get it on Monday at 2 PM (today). So today I was there at Monday, 2 PM, with a different maid dispatcher but no consul, no visa and no passport. And I'm hoping to fly tomorrow morning! The dispatcher (who was very courteous) sends me outside while she calls her boss. The boss wants to talk to me, she says "You asked for 2 entries, we can't do that here." I asked (1) Why does the form ask me how many entries I want and (2) Why aren't there any instructions to that effect? Her reply is that most people call before dropping paperwork off and she tells them then, to which I naturally said I called many times and just get a recording which, by the way, directs me to the wrong address. She says she can give me single entry and asks will I pay by money order; no says I, I have a personal check like it says on the application. We don't take personal checks, only money order. Go to the post office and get one.

Great, Monday afternoon, the nearest post office is the main branch at the airport. So an hour later, I have my money order, come back, the dispatcher is gone but one of the maids has my passport with a visa sticker the likes of which I've never seen before but it seems official enough.

All in all, a pretty fly-by-night operation. I would have thought & expected that a local business owner in the States some notion of quality service might have rubbed off on them, but alas that's not the case. Is the above pretty typical of how honorary Thai consulates are run around the world? BTW, I tried my hardest to be polite & respectful figuring my wife & I will have more dealings with this lady in the future, but still my impatience showed during our conversation. Oh well.

With any luck, I'll catch a military flight in the morning to Japan and thence to Singapore & I'll be joining you all by Thursday.

Edited by USNret
  • Like 1

Hehehe, this is kind of how things work in thailand.

Except that this happened in the US at a Thai honorary consulate where there are probably no Thais employed whatsoever.

Certainly no employees were Thai. They seemed to be Polynesian, Hawaiian and Hispanic. They were employees of the maid service, I doubt that any of them are "officially" employed by the consulate even though they were the ones handling the passports & visas (kinda scary, but I decided to trust them).

I would think the consul herself must Thai, but she also must have been here a long time. The business seemed to be doing well, and since the business moved in December that means they outgrew their old building. She knows how to run a business, she just can't run a consulate.

Hehehe, this is kind of how things work in thailand.

Except that this happened in the US at a Thai honorary consulate where there are probably no Thais employed whatsoever.

Certainly no employees were Thai. They seemed to be Polynesian, Hawaiian and Hispanic. They were employees of the maid service, I doubt that any of them are "officially" employed by the consulate even though they were the ones handling the passports & visas (kinda scary, but I decided to trust them).

I would think the consul herself must Thai, but she also must have been here a long time. The business seemed to be doing well, and since the business moved in December that means they outgrew their old building. She knows how to run a business, she just can't run a consulate.

No -- most of the honorary consuls are not Thais at all and don't employe any.

The Consul is Mr. Colin Miyabra

Hawaii: Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Colin Miyabara

866 Iwilei Rd., Room 201,

Honolulu, HI 96817

Tel : (808) 524-7787, Fax : (808) 523-0044

You, sir, have fallen into the same trap. That is the old address, a now vacant office in a kind of industrial strip mall. Trust me, I was there. As far as the name, I don't know, but I always spoke to a woman.

The correct address is 1035 Kikowaena Place Honolulu HI 96819. I was here too, and this is where I got my visa today. It's also the address given out by the Thai embassy when I emailed them.

The phone number is unchanged, but if you call the number you will get a recording which gives the old address and tells you to drop docs in the (now destroyed) drop box. Thus began my misadventure.

Edited by USNret

Honorary are not owned/staffed by the represented government but are normally sidelines of local nationals who provide service for part of the fee collected. All should provide tourist visa service as there is there primary income source.

For what's it worth, I have been dealing with the honorary consul in Miami for the past 10 years, and have never had a problem. Just the opposite in fact. Twice they called me to sort out minor problems with my visa applications. One time because the rules had changed, and they needed some different docs. The second time because I had left something out. In both cases they were happy to get the missing items via email. I have been doing 1 year multi entry non-O.

Edited by WhizBang

For what's it worth, I have been dealing with the honorary consul in Miami for the past 10 years, and have never had a problem. Just the opposite in fact. Twice they called me to sort out minor problems with my visa applications. One time because the rules had changed, and they needed some different docs. The second time because I had left something out. In both cases they were happy to get the missing items via email. I have been doing 1 year multi entry non-O.

Thanks, WB. This is the type of experience I had expected with my Honolulu consul but didn't get. I couldn't believe it was when I came to pick it up (at the date & time they told me to come), only then did they tell me they couldn't give a double-entry visa. If I had already bought a money order, it would have been for the wrong amount & I woulda been screwed. And only when I got there did they tell me they won't take personal checks despite what they say online, so I really was screwed. I came within minutes of not getting my passport back yesterday which means I would have missed the chance for a free flight today. The loss would have cost me around $600 or forego my trip altogether.

In the future, I just might mail my passport to a consul with higher standards of professionalism. Someone posted earlier about one in Oregon who was quick & responsive, but I forget the details.

Honolulu used to be ok. They are a quite old couple. I believe Japanese with some connection to thailand through a Buddhist organization. Sad to hear of the poor service. I've gotten 3 or 4 visas from them over the years without a problem and with no wait. That was 10 years ago though.

Edited by ricklev

Sorry you had such a rough time. However, I checked the web sight a month ago, and the address was/is correct. Yes, they did move, but the new address was/is on the web sight, along with a Google Earth screen-shot

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=1035+Kikowaena+Place&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x7c006efa9bce6ddf:0xd01c3c9c1ce0a614,1035+Kikowaena+Pl,+Honolulu,+HI+96819,+USA&gl=th&ei=ByrJUL-cLITqrAechICYCg&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA . The consulate is Thai. I always email and call ahead. I have always had pleasant and exceptional service from her and her staff, and I look forward to seeing her again in a few months.

Edited by Shot

FYI: I've never been asked for onward travel plans when entering Thailand

I've read that you can be. But it's never been asked of me anywhere.

Depends on if you have a visa or not. If you have a visa, the airlines are usually satisfied that you have been approved for entry.

I have dealt with the office there in Honolulu and they have been very helpful. Mr Colin Miyabara passed away a few years ago and Mickey took over the position. The phone number at her office is (808) 524-7787. I hope this helps.

Hehehe, this is kind of how things work in thailand. I remember once a lady at the immigration giving me someone else's visa extension application form filled with personal details and photocopy of their passport to take and fill out in the same format. So they're not too concerned about ID theft at all.

Also the honory consuls get their roles by government connections, not through being competent and offering good service. Congratulations on getting the visa.

"Hehehe, this is kind of how things work in Thailand."

Hehehe, since it seems the honorary consul is not Thai (Colin Miyabara who played baseball in Hawaii??) and the people manning the office are not Thai, it seems this is more a case of how things work amongst Thai Visa posters rushing to Thai bash based on delusion rather than fact.

I'm American I chose to get a tourist visa so I don't need to buy an onward or return ticket.

I thought people arriving on tourist visas were required to have onward bookings??

Generally, I have heard bad things about consulates, and that it's always better to deal with an actual embassy over a consulate. I've always dealt with Thai Embassies in Chicago and NY I believe, and have had no issues. Now I'll put on another hat. The US Embassy in Bangkok is another story altogether...got run around backwards and blindfolded by them more than once! Can only imagine what US Consulates are like abroad, don't want to find out!

FYI: I've never been asked for onward travel plans when entering Thailand

I've read that you can be. But it's never been asked of me anywhere.

Me either, travelled to Thailand 2 - 3 times a year, in and out as I 'do' SEA.

Never a problem.

I am a New Zealander and get "Visa on entry", have done for over 10 years.

Edited by Zpete

I lived in Hawaii for 15 yrs and the relaxed attitude of not rushing is very big there. Add that with the Thai attitude of "I dont care" well you have a person who does not care and is to lazzy to do anything about updating or giving the right information before hand.

Hawaii and Thailand are similiar... They are not like western ideals... The more one huff and puffs about speedy service... The more slow the service will be.

One story was a friend of mine. His g-friend in Hawaii went to get a HW drivers license. and the servise was so backwards and slow she mentioned to the women who worked there. "I dont know how you people do it" "BUT" and the lady interupeted her and mentiond that she should move back home. And shortly later all her paperwork was lost and she had to repete all the steps and tests again.

So feel glad it worked out!

For future reference, you don't need any onward ticket if you show up and get a 30-day entry stamp at the airport. I know what the website says, but the only people who have ever given me grief about not having a return ticket are the people at the airport who always act like the world is ending but end up letting me on the plane after they give me a stern warning. lol

Generally, I have heard bad things about consulates, and that it's always better to deal with an actual embassy over a consulate. I've always dealt with Thai Embassies in Chicago and NY I believe, and have had no issues. Now I'll put on another hat. The US Embassy in Bangkok is another story altogether...got run around backwards and blindfolded by them more than once! Can only imagine what US Consulates are like abroad, don't want to find out!

Just to correct your statement: Chicago and NY are General Consulates, not Embassies. The only embassy is in DC. I would add that Honorary Consulates in the USA are generally much more responsive and helpful than General Consulates (Chicago excepted) and the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC, speaking from over 40 years experience with Thai visas.

• Like 1

For perspective: I always deal with the honorary Thai consulate in Portland, Oregon, USA and they are extremely competent and friendly ... and I always get a triple-entry tourist visa with no questions asked.

• Like 2

For perspective: I always deal with the honorary Thai consulate in Portland, Oregon, USA and they are extremely competent and friendly ... and I always get a triple-entry tourist visa with no questions asked.

Ditto on Portland. Quick turnaround and she replies to email as well. - Grin

I just returned to TH last Friday from a successful Non Immigrant B multiple entry visa run to Honolulu, HI. Before I left, I used Sunbelt Asia here in TH to help with the required papers (10,700 THB) and the visa application. This will take a day or two after meeting with a legal advisor at Sunbelt Asia.

It is a good idea to contact the the Royal Thai Consulate of Hawaii before you make the trip. The woman running the consulate is named Micky. I never saw her but was in contact with her via email, phone and SMS. She prefers you call her first to sort out the details, when you will arrive. Her number is +1808.218.8803. A $200 money order made out to the Royal Thai Consulate General is required which can be purchased at Wallmart, 7-11s, or easiest the Post Office which is walking distance from the Airport (if you arrive in HI during operating hours). 2 or 3 days after you drop off the paper work and money order (the assistant also said I could hand over the money order when i picked up the visa) you then call Mickey to set up a time to pick up the visa.

Here's a list of required docs via email from Micky:

Documents required: passport must valid at lease 18 months, application form attached with 2 passport photos (2"x2" not copies, real photo with white background), recommendation letter from business related (provided for me via Sunbelt Asia 10,700 THB), copy of latest bank statement, $200 money order payable to Royal Thai Consulate General for visa fee.
The new location is definitely here, 1035 Kikowaena Place, Honolulu, HI 96819. View it in Google Maps http://bit.ly/WgR742
The best email address to reach Micky is [email protected]
Be sure to give yourself 5 business days not including holidays. Mine took 4 but seeing how things are run there, give yourself 5 or maybe few more. HI is incredibly beautiful so the longer you stay the more you get to enjoy the incredible beaches, surf and other sites.
Good luck on your visa run, Todd