Pedestrian Safety

Asiantravel

I was just reading about the tragic death of two tourist pedestrians in Koh Samui and of course the expressions of outrage that nobody cares about pedestrian safety in this country.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628411-two-walking-british-tourists-killed-by-crash-in-koh-samui/

At the International music Festival here last weekend at the junction of second road and Pattaya Klang the traffic was a nightmare because it was all being diverted along second road. I watched all the tourists literally risking their lives as they darted across the road in between a few seconds they had between the lights changing. The motorists were totally unsympathetic and as I stood there, watching there were some near misses on a few occasions.

Meanwhile, there was a traffic cop sitting on a chair 20 metres away from the junction in the temporarily pedestrianised section of Pattaya Klang down towards Beach Road. He sat there, picking his nose completely nonchalant. I mean, for God's sake with so many tourists walking and so many cars in town , the city must have made a very decent amount of money from the rent they received from all the stallholders along Beach Road and I just would have thought they could have made a special effort to have the police take care of pedestrian safety-just for a few nights?

But things will never change will they?

• Like 2

While I agree with much you say, there are too many pedestrians who assume that international road etiquette apples here and just walk out expecting cars or bikes to stop for them. Also I see many who are too lazy to walk five yards to a pedestrian crossing further up and cross wherever they feel like it.

At an intersection that has no road signs or traffic lights, who has the right-of-way?

One of the roads would be classed as the "major" road and theoretically from either direction a vehicle in the "minor" road should give way. It is not always easy to know which is a "major" or "minor" road. In other situations giving way to the right is the rule. None of this is made aware to drivers however and thus the suggestion is to play it safe and look left then right etc.

• Like 1

Things will never change,the same as many countries in the world.Pattaya is a Tourist Town,with busy roads,and the need for caution,and awareness,but time and tiome again isee tourists,using mobile phones when crossing the road,i have seen them assume the right of way, i have seen them chatting to each other, oblivous that some farang or thai will overtake on the inside.

I rest my case guv

The GFF (Give a F$?k Factor) is simply absent....

Nothing except Kreang-Jai works when forcing people to care for and about others... Being respectful and considerate of strangers appears way down the on the list of priorities for many people in Thailand and also most other countries these days.

It really is a shame that such a lovely and non-confrontational people can display such overt disregard for the safety of others once they enter or sit on a motorised vehicle.

the city must have made a very decent amount of money from the rent they
received from all the stallholders along Beach Road and I just would
have thought they could have made a special effort to have the police
take care of pedestrian safety-just for a few nights?

Keep in mind the police do not work for the city, they are national police and are responsible for keeping traffic moving.

• Like 1

It is terrible that anyone gets injured on the roads, but it seems to me that often pedestrians seem to act as idiots crossing the road, they don't even check that the road is clear and then act like of course the bike will stop???

Edited by Pdavies99

While I agree with much you say, there are too many pedestrians who assume that international road etiquette apples here and just walk out expecting cars or bikes to stop for them. Also I see many who are too lazy to walk five yards to a pedestrian crossing further up and cross wherever they feel like it.

What is the point of crossing at a pedestrian crossing when these are switched off by the city/police every weekend and most other busy times. Not that the vehicles take any notice when the lights change to red anyway.

Does anyone know why the switch them off and I wonder if there are any statistics regarding injuries or deaths that have occurred at any of these lights that have been deliberately switched off?

the city must have made a very decent amount of money from the rent they

received from all the stallholders along Beach Road and I just would

have thought they could have made a special effort to have the police

take care of pedestrian safety-just for a few nights?

Keep in mind the police do not work for the city, they are national police and are responsible for keeping traffic moving.

"Responsible for keeping traffic moving"?? That's a joke, the police in Pattaya operating the traffic lights are responsible for most of the jams and tailbacks seen every day at every traffic light controlled junction. Funny how when the lights break down the jams magically disappear.

• Like 1

At an intersection that has no road signs or traffic lights, who has the right-of-way?

One of the roads would be classed as the "major" road and theoretically from either direction a vehicle in the "minor" road should give way. It is not always easy to know which is a "major" or "minor" road. In other situations giving way to the right is the rule. None of this is made aware to drivers however and thus the suggestion is to play it safe and look left then right etc.

You are on of few people who actually know it. Most have no clue.

That’s correct, except looks like you're mixing up right and left. If there is no designated “major” road, the driver should give right of way to a vehicle coming from the left.

Edited by MTH