Voip Internet Phones-usb-lan-modem

Rinrada

Been using Skype and Internetcalls.com for a couple of weeks now and find that I dont even bother using my regular land line anymore unless I am phoning say wifes Mobile in LOS (1p a minute with dialwise)

As said in earlier threads all landline calls (49 countries) are free and happy with the deal.

I am however still using a headphone/mike connection and also got a cheap handset with usb but wonder if anyone has got hold of a mobile (with charger etc) that plugs directly into the modem and works without switching on the P.C.

Believe they may be on the market in the US but as yet nothing about here in Blighty.Will be in LOS next week so if anyone has any idea over there would appreciate info.... :o

Take a look at this: (They ship world wide)

http://cgi.ebay.com/VoIP-IP-Phone-UTStarco...1QQcmdZViewItem

You should go to the Vonage site too and look there - not sure if they will ship outside origin counrty -

But they will give you a phone that will work right out of the box - In theory! :o ... $15 month for a local number in your country of origin...

http://www.vonage-forum.com/article1769.html

Edited by sfokevin

Been using Skype and Internetcalls.com for a couple of weeks now and find that I dont even bother using my regular land line anymore unless I am phoning say wifes Mobile in LOS (1p a minute with dialwise)

As said in earlier threads all landline calls (49 countries) are free and happy with the deal.

I am however still using a headphone/mike connection and also got a cheap handset with usb but wonder if anyone has got hold of a mobile (with charger etc) that plugs directly into the modem and works without switching on the P.C.

Believe they may be on the market in the US but as yet nothing about here in Blighty.Will be in LOS next week so if anyone has any idea over there would appreciate info.... :D

hiya Rinrada,

a touch off topic but in the same area. What is the best provider for these calls on the net. I was advised www.freetalk.com were the best for UK users. I will be phoning the missus mobile Thailand so I am a little sceptical of the net being cheaper..

Also dialwise do they not have hidden charges? I use bestminutes at 2p per min.

Could you or anyone let me know on the best UK deal etc

Cheers all :o

Edited by lopburiguy

Believe they may be on the market in the US but as yet nothing about here in Blighty.Will be in LOS next week so if anyone has any idea over there would appreciate info.... :o

For Skype, seems like you always have to have the computer on, but there was a news release about some new Skype phone coming out that could run on 802.11b Wireless Wifi. They don't seem to offer that on their website yet. They do offer regular handsets that plug into the USB port. Gets you away from the headset, but still have to have the computer on.

But Skype does work with PDAs with a WIFI card. So you could get one of those and then run Skype on it.

Other options are regular VOIP providers which will give you a box you plug into the network and then plug a regular phone into. But they charge a monthly fee and don't offer as many free calling countries. The first phone in sfokevin's post can be used with any SIP provider if you can get the access settings. Broadvoice.com (mentioned in the Ebay listing) will give you the access settings so you can program it or any phone where you can edit the settings. But there is a monthly fee.