Obama Appoints First Woman To Lead Secret Service

News_Editor

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday appointed Julia A. Pierson as director of the Secret Service, making her the first woman to lead the scandal-hit agency which is best known for protecting the president, vice president and their families.

Obama said Pierson, a native of Florida, has "consistently exemplified" the spirit and dedication of the service's agents during her more than 30 years of experience with the Secret Service. She is currently Chief of Staff and previously served as Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of Protective Operations and the Assistant Director of Human Resources and Training.

"Julia is eminently qualified to lead the agency that not only safeguards Americans at major events and secures our financial system, but also protects our leaders and our first families, including my own," the president said. "Julia has had an exemplary career, and I know these experiences will guide her as she takes on this new challenge to lead the impressive men and women of this important agency."

Pierson began her career as a police officer in Orlando in 1980 before joining the Secret Service as a Special Agent in Miami in 1983. She took on her first leadership role in 2000 when she served as Special Agent in Charge of the Office of Protective Operations until the following year, when she was appointed Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of Administration and served in that position until 2005.

In 2005, Pierson was appointed Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of Protective Operations until she became the Assistant Director of the Office of Human Resources and Training in 2006. In 2008 she was promoted to become Chief of Staff in the Office of the Director and continued to serve in that role until Tuesday's announcement.

On February 1, Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan announced he would retire after leading the agency and its 3,200 agents for more than seven years. His last year was marked by a scandal after Secret Service agents were caught employing prostitutes in Colombia before Obama arrived for a visit.

"During the Colombia prostitution scandal, the Secret Service lost the trust of many Americans, and failed to live up to the high expectations placed on it," U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley said Tuesday. "Ms. Pierson has a lot of work ahead of her to create a culture that respects the important job the agency is tasked with. I hope she succeeds in restoring lost credibility in the Secret Service."

Obama's appointment does not require Senate confirmation.
(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].) </p>

During the Colombia prostitution scandal, the Secret Service lost the trust of many Americans,

What a load of rubbish,Senator Chuck,what planet do You live on. Have Americans and the rest of the World for that matter forgotten about so many scandals spanning decades (Contra,Chile,the list is endless) that somehow a couple of Agents being entertained in their hotel rooms is WOW such a big deal. It probably rates as the tinniest scandel ever. Not to worry Senator Chuck,My faith is restored in the secret service,because a woman is appointed. Arn't You glad I am thick.

During the Colombia prostitution scandal, the Secret Service lost the trust of many Americans,

What a load of rubbish,Senator Chuck,what planet do You live on. Have Americans and the rest of the World for that matter forgotten about so many scandals spanning decades (Contra,Chile,the list is endless) that somehow a couple of Agents being entertained in their hotel rooms is WOW such a big deal. It probably rates as the tinniest scandel ever. Not to worry Senator Chuck,My faith is restored in the secret service,because a woman is appointed. Arn't You glad I am thick.

The United States Secret Service's mission is limited to investigations and protection services (the president, etc.). You're confusing the Secret Service with other branches. This topic is about the Secret Service. Congratulations to the first woman head of the United States Secret Service!

Pierson began her career as a police officer in Orlando in 1980 before joining the Secret Service as a Special Agent in Miami in 1983. She took on her first leadership role in 2000 when she served as Special Agent in Charge of the Office of Protective Operations until the following year, when she was appointed Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of Administration and served in that position until 2005.

In 2005, Pierson was appointed Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of Protective Operations until she became the Assistant Director of the Office of Human Resources and Training in 2006. In 2008 she was promoted to become Chief of Staff in the Office of the Director and continued to serve in that role until Tuesday's announcement.

Not very secret, is it.

Edited by I Like Thai

When I was in China a Fenqing (CCP indoctrinated America-hating Chinese youths) and I saw something on the news about the Secret Service - this was a few years before the Columbia stuff. The young Chinese fascist asked me about the Secret Service. I said they protected the prez and family, veep etc etc. The Chinese university student then said to me, "So nobody knows who they are." I told him that that's not the secret part of the Secret Service. The secret part is the myriad things they do, each day, big and small, to protect their charges. I also suggested to the Fenqing that he try not to project Chinese culture, government and politics onto the United States, i.e., the CCP-PRC internal security services are people who are unknown to ordinary Chinese AND everyone in China knows what they do to people the government doesn't like.

Other than for PR, what other reason is there for any information on the Secret Service to be in the public domain.

Prez Obama gets 300% more threats against his life and against his family than any previous president. I think this has led to the Secret Service making more information available about the agency and its extraordinary work. The History channel has presented some remarkable programs about the work of the Secret Service, in general terms, than I can recall ever being presented publically in the past. The same is true of the History channel in respect to Air Force One, its travels and while it's on the ground in foreign countries.

During the time I worked as professional staff in the Congress in Washington, dinner party conversations in these matters focused on Air Force One, but no one knew anything of the Secret Service. One account not publicized was when AFO with Prez Clinton onboard was taking off from an airport in Africa and a ground to air missile was fired at it. I found out AFO, which has one floor entirely to military personnel and defensive systems, zapped a radio signal into the guidance system of the rapidly oncoming missile. It is an escape and evasion technique that causes the guidance system of the oncoming missile to immediately make a 180 degree turnabout to its point of origin (HELLO!).

Another tidbit was when AFO took G. W. Bush to Baghad for Thanksgiving in the middle of a hot war. Rather than make a normal landing approach, AFO spirals down to Baghdad airport for a quick, short landing. It's tough work on the pilot and on all the AFO military defensive personnel on board, but it greatly minimizes the exposure and vulnerability of the plane to the kind of attack attempted against Prez Clinton that was quietly and successfully thwarted.

Clearly, it's been decided by the Secret Service to present certain aspects of its work more into the public domain; the same is true in respect to Air Force One and its travels. Prudently done, I think the new policies in these respects enhance our democracy.

Edited by metisdead

When I was in China a Fenqing (CCP indoctrinated America-hating Chinese youths) and I saw something on the news about the Secret Service - this was a few years before the Columbia stuff. The young Chinese fascist asked me about the Secret Service. I said they protected the prez and family, veep etc etc. The Chinese university student then said to me, "So nobody knows who they are." I told him that that's not the secret part of the Secret Service. The secret part is the myriad things they do, each day, big and small, to protect their charges. I also suggested to the Fenqing that he try not to project Chinese culture, government and politics onto the United States, i.e., the CCP-PRC internal security services are people who are unknown to ordinary Chinese AND everyone in China knows what they do to people the government doesn't like.

looks like you are a china hating american.

He might be but clearly those Chinese people have NO idea about the function of the U.S. secret service.

That's the end of that being Secret then.

Pierson began her career as a police officer in Orlando in 1980 before joining the Secret Service as a Special Agent in Miami in 1983. She took on her first leadership role in 2000 when she served as Special Agent in Charge of the Office of Protective Operations until the following year, when she was appointed Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of Administration and served in that position until 2005.In 2005, Pierson was appointed Deputy Assistant Director of the Office of Protective Operations until she became the Assistant Director of the Office of Human Resources and Training in 2006. In 2008 she was promoted to become Chief of Staff in the Office of the Director and continued to serve in that role until Tuesday's announcement.

Not very secret, is it.

It's not really meant to be "secret" and there's zero reason to try to keep it existence a secret (even if that were possible) nor who manages it. If The latter, were possible, and it's not, how would that be better?

Other than for PR, what other reason is there for any information on the Secret Service to be in the public domain.

Why does there need to be another reason?

But one would be transparency of government.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

Well yes, but the Secret Service has a very MACHO reputation, so it's a symbolic (and real) advance for feminism, the same kind of thing as when women become CEO's of major corporations (still a small minority of them).

Man or lady, whats the difference ? One can do the job or cannot. Simple really. coffee1.gif

Well yes, but the Secret Service has a very MACHO reputation, so it's a symbolic (and real) advance for feminism, the same kind of thing as when women become CEO's of major corporations (still a small minority of them).

Man or lady, whats the difference ? One can do the job or cannot. Simple really. coffee1.gif

I can assure you, girls CAN be macho and us guys know it. thumbsup.gif

I can assure you, girls CAN be macho and us guys know it. thumbsup.gif

So does President Obama, apparently. coffee1.gif

The Secret Service had exactly NOTHING to with the Contras or Chile nor any other well known scandals or misdeeds.

If you want to ironically remark on being "thick", it's best to make sure you know what you are talking about -- lest the irony is not found where you intended it to be...

looks like you are a china hating american.

He might be but clearly those Chinese people have NO idea about the function of the U.S. secret service.

Well i'm not surprised that particular Chinese university student was none the wiser after being told the Secret Service protected " the Prez and family, veep etc etc"! I reckon the dean of the University himself would be struggling there!

As a university lecturer at a respected uni within the CCP-PRC education system as it is, and as a forumist at TV, that's my choice of language here, to anyone who may read the post. If you might think, or like to think or believe that that's my speech pattern as an international educator to learners of ESL or EFL, then you'd be leading with your jaw.

Yes, why is this even news??????????

It's just a filler until the next breaking news about the Kardashians. bah.gif

News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising.

Lord Northcliffe, British publisher 1865-1922

Edited by rijb

Yes, why is this even news??????????

The reason that it's news is obvious - as is the reason you pretend that it shouldn't be.

Hmmmmm You obviously know my mind better than I do!

BTW, 90 % of "news" on tv eg BBC, CNN etc is not really news at all, but just "stuff" to get people to watch their shows so they can sell advertising space. News flash- football is not news!!!!!!!

The most "real news" channel I can get is Al Jazeera, which is far and away the best at the moment. They never show football either.

• Like 1

It's obviously news. Not that everyone should care about this news. But it IS news.

newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events:

I see that you misunderstand my complaint about this article, which is "making her the first woman to lead the scandal-hit agency". The sex of the person should no longer be a news worthy item. Of course they will report her appointment as a news item, but her gender should not be commented on.

• Like 1

It's obviously news. Not that everyone should care about this news. But it IS news.

newly received or noteworthy information, especially about recent or important events:

I see that you misunderstand my complaint about this article, which is "making her the first woman to lead the scandal-hit agency". The sex of the person should no longer be a news worthy item. Of course they will report her appointment as a news item, but her gender should not be commented on.

I get that. I strongly disagree. In the American context, when HALF the congresspeople and HALF the CEOs and HALF the presidents are women, THEN it will no longer be news.

How far do you want to take the absurdity of acting like identity groups don't matter? If the USA elected the first Arab president, the press shouldn't mention that in the news?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I get that. I strongly disagree. In the American context, when HALF the congresspeople and HALF the CEOs and HALF the presidents are women, THEN it will no longer be news.

How far do you want to take the absurdity of acting like identity groups don't matter? If the USA elected the first Arab president, the press shouldn't mention that in the news?

I'm sure there are more than a few out there who already believe that the USA elected an Arab President JT!