Early Breakfast In Bangkok

Mr Wimpy

@ BBCO, ordered from cafe menu ... I had Egg Ole and my friend had the traditional/standard breakfast which had eggs, bacon and can't remember what else. Both of us had large Cafe Americano.

It wasn't horrible but also wasn't something memorable. Total bill was just over 1K baht. Neither of us think it was worth coming back for.

Both of us love the bagel with lox at Angel City Diner, corned beef hash isn't too bad. I just hate their coffee ... it's truly American diner (e.g. Denny's) bad.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thonglorjimmy where is that plate from?

I need name and address if you can.

Looks huge.

You got me there, I cheated, got the picture from the Internet - sorry 20x20xangry.png.pagespeed.ic.PidUDkLTtz. width=20 alt=angry.png>

I now have some good suggestions for places to go in Bangers for a decent breakfast.... Thanks!

In answer to your questions about that ridiculous breakfast, it is from Jesters Diner in Gt. Yarmouth, UK. You need to book ahead for it to be made, but you get your money back if you eat it all within 1 hour..!? I know I couldn't.

Check out a menu here, or a UK newspaper article here. It is called a 'Kidz' breakfast for reasons unknown to me - maybe because is weighs as much as a small child??

Both of us love the bagel with lox at Angel City Diner, corned beef hash isn't too bad. I just hate their coffee ... it's truly American diner (e.g. Denny's) bad.

I've been meaning to try the corned beef hash at ACD....but it keeps getting edged out by other breakfast choices on their menu. But I guess I need to move the hash up a bit on my list of things to try there...

• 4 months later...

Just noticed, the El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse a block down from Terminal 21 on Suk Soi 19 is now advertising opening for breakfast at 7 am, and showing a pretty standard breakfast menu with some standard choices at decent prices.

New Opening Hours – Daily as of 7am
For all the early birds we are happy to offer now also breakfast, starting daily as of 7am. With a choice of Continental, American or Asian breakfast in a relaxed atmosphere we are sure it is a perfect start into the day.

http://elgaucho.asia/thailand/?page_id=2

http://elgaucho.asia/thailand/wp-content/uploads/El_Gaucho_Thailand_Breakfast_Menu_03092013.pdf

Unfortunately it's not at all early, but the wife and I went by the Hyde & Seek Gastro Bar (a bit pretentiously named) in the Athenee Residence on Soi Ruamrudee a while back for breakfast, or what they call brunch, since they don't open until 11 am.

The service was a bit slow, as in, we walked in with a reservation just after the 11 am opening time, the place was empty, and we couldn't even find a server/waitress...just one lady who seemed to be cleaning. But eventually, they finally managed to rustle up some serving staff out of the back kitchen.

With all that said, the food and our breakfast entrees were REALLY good, some of the best non-buffet breakfast food I've had in Bangkok. And accordingly our breakfast bill for two came to just shy of 1,000 baht -- including three entrees, two non alcohol drinks and the 17% service charge/VAT add-on.

Here's what we had, and below is a copy of their full brunch menu:

Eggs Benedict - 250b

post-58284-0-02179300-1386411318_thumb.j

Brioche French Toast with thick cut bacon and homemade sausage - 240b

post-58284-0-21130300-1386411319_thumb.j

Both the Eggs Benedict and the Brioche French Toast appeared to have the same bacon, described on the menu as "glazed bacon," which was sweet to the taste, thick cut in a small slab shape, and with a wonderful taste.

Almond & Mixed Fruit Waffle - 210b

post-58284-0-13144000-1386411317_thumb.j

post-58284-0-76674100-1386411361_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Meanwhile, right nextdoor is another actual early morning breakfast place, if you consider Cafe Tartine and their 7 am opening time.

http://www.cafetartine.net/cafetartine.net/Welcome.html

The prices are a bit more modest, and the menu is broader. But I still probably preferred the cooking and dishes at Hyde & Seek.

Still, Cafe Tartine produced a decent Eggs Florentine for 220b that I had for my Sunday breakfast.

Although, their Eggs Florentine, Eggs Benedict and some crepe choices are all listed as part of a weekends-only brunch menu. For everyday choices, their breakfast oriented choices include omelettes, croissants and baguettes, and a couple varieties of quiche.

At Cafe Tartine, the VAT included in their menu prices, but they add on the mandatory 10% service charge.

Eggs Florentine - 220b

post-58284-0-74879800-1386412785_thumb.j

My wife, meanwhile, had an interesting non-breakfast choice, a beef steak and french fries sandwich served on a sliced french roll for 199b. On our bill, it was listed as their American Sandwich, though I don't see it in the online version of their menu. I tried it, and found it to be OK and a suitable lunch entree choice.

Beef Steak and Fries Sandwich - 199b

post-58284-0-67601700-1386413674_thumb.j

But unlike the brunch menu at Hyde & Seek, the menu at Cafe Tartine is much larger and more diverse, so there were lots of others things we didn't have a chance to try on that visit.

They're also advertising on their website some weekday-only breakfast specials valid until 11 am:

http://www.cafetartine.net/cafetartine.net/Breakfast.html

Here's the full version of their online menu:

http://www.cafetartine.net/cafetartine.net/Menu.html

• 4 months later...

The wife and I stopped by Bei Otto on Sukhumvit Soi 20 the other day to try their breakfast, which opens at 8 am daily, and includes several choices in the vicinity of 300 baht net including entree, coffee or tea and fruit juice.

I had their American breakfast for 305 baht, which includes several pork sausage links, several strips of really excellent somewhat crispy bacon, a pair of fried eggs cooked as you prefer, fried potato slices, some rolls, tea or coffee and orange juice. I wasn't excited by the sausages, but the bacon was some of the best I've ever had in Bangkok, so their breakfast wins points for that, if nothing else.

Also, while there, we tried for the first time something they call their pretzel roll, which I believe is pretzel-type dough baked into a round kind of cupcake shape, and likewise was really soft, light and delicious. The staff, nicely, were willing to substitute a couple of the plain rolls that came with our breakfast for the somewhat more expensive pretzel rolls, and just added on the extra price.

Bei Otto's regular restaurant and pub isn't open in the early morning hours, so their breakfasts are served in the adjoining little cafe and food shop there. All in all, a decent place for a decent morning breakfast, with special kudos to both their bacon and bakery.

post-58284-0-41656900-1397831256_thumb.j post-58284-0-14487000-1397831259_thumb.j