General Understanding Of Internet Options And Alternatives To True Internet

estephan500

Hello all -- I have looked at some other forum threads about alternatives to True Internet, and all of them were old info and/or assumed that everyone knew the full background. So, I have some general questions:

1-- Can you tell me the ISP options in Bangkok other than True Internet? So far I have heard about:

CAT -- http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/promotion.html

BuddyBB -- http://www.buddybb.net/

... do you know any other options? And yes I've heard that if you have a TOT telephone then you can only use True, but list any and all options anyway, and then mention restrictions and price information that you know about.

2-- So, I have heard that if you have a TOT phone, then you can only use True Internet. If that is true, then what kind of person would be able to hire these other options? A person that had instead chosen to go with Fred's Friendly Phone Co.? Fill me in on how one would be able to avoid this TOT restriction... thanks!

3-- Here is why I am asking. True Internet has been just fine in all respects except one: They weirdly and unpredictably lose access to certain sites on occasion, namely NYtimes.com ... and I don't think it's because of a Info Ministry Ban. The best their tech support could do was to tell me to use their proxy server, which creates headaches and disables multiple other things I have set up. Has anyone else had True no be able to access odd sites for non-obviously-censorship reasons?

4-- In general, about these alternatives we are listing --- CAT, BuddyBB, etc., can you tell me in detail how it has worked out for you, love it, hate it, and if there were strange restrictions on taking them on, like not having TOT or any other restriction, and how you managed to survive that restriction?

THANKS!!! -- Eric

What about 3BB full wireless service, have you checked the details?

I used it before in Bkk and now in Chiang Mai, signal strength not too bad, price (for Thailand) not too bad.

Edited by scorecard

What about 3BB full wireless service, have you checked the details?

I used it before in Bkk and now in Chiang Mai, signal strength not too bad, price (for Thailand) not too bad.

I live in the provinces (Surin) and I thoroughly recommend 3BB. Their customer service is good and they deliver what you pay for. If there is a problem they will fix it straight away. I have the 15MBPS package for just under 1000 Baht/month and that feeds my computer, house WIFI for 2 Tablets and Internet TV without interruptions. One satisfied customer.

Edited by Nomad97

We've got both a True and a 3BB line now installed.

Endless problems or issues with True, countless visits to check the line, stock "turn off the router and back on again" answers all the time.

3BB on the other hand seems (so far) to be generally far more reliable and consistent, with any issues resolved very quickly.

So for me, 3BB is the way to go.

BTW: we have 2 x different providers for redundancy.

Interesting info, didn't know about 3BB, but from what I can gather, TOT (Telephone Organization of Thailand) and True are two completely different entities. Is the OP saying, and is it true, that TOT internet, which I have through my landline (and the only reason I have a landline), is subcontracted out to True? I thought True came through the TV cable for True TV subscribers.

TOT has been kind of up and down for me, but generally acceptable service.

ADSL is by phone lines but it may be just the line without a phone number if installed just for internet. Several decades ago, under another name, True installed several million phone lines and although they are billed by TOT they are still considered True lines it seems. Believe normal TOT lines can get used by other providers. 3bb will ask for your phone number if you request there service so not sure what happens if you do not have a line they can use.

• Like 1

ADSL is by phone lines but it may be just the line without a phone number if installed just for internet. Several decades ago, under another name, True installed several million phone lines and although they are billed by TOT they are still considered True lines it seems. Believe normal TOT lines can get used by other providers. 3bb will ask for your phone number if you request there service so not sure what happens if you do not have a line they can use.

Thanks. This is a relatively new line (2+ years) and does have a phone number attached. I think TOT itself is the provider, but really don't know. Probably a lot of this stuff is deliberately opaque. I do notice upload & download & ping speeds vary greatly day to day even with the same servers.

They install a new line (3bb) from the pole into the house

Maybe will check 3BB again. Got as far as what phone number question on 3BB application and know only available line would not support much as noisy 35 years old TOT line that does not even have lightning protection. Our newer lines have True and tired of disconnect every time phone is answered (and many changes of splitters has not helped at all) and only getting 6 on what is supposed to be 10 connection.

Put in 3BB at the house and apart from the initial installation, which was done by their local subcontractor and was horrible (had to be redone later), the service itself has been fine.

For the last week though, usually at night around either 2000 and sometimes 2300, it will just randomly go out for 5 to 15 seconds, then reconnect. Happens 4 to 5 times in a row.