Songkran: People Not Allowed To Splash Water Down From Pickup Trucks

webfact

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

almost had an accident 2 years ago when a group was splashing cars on the main road 2034 dontan - mukdahan

when i saw them slow down but got a full bucket with water with chalk powder on the wind shield , that i didnt appreciate too much all vision gone in a second

and when i try to wipe it of its not going very fast , and now the windscreen got many small polishing scratches in there

i do not think it was normal powder but plain plaster they trew at the cars

try now to go out in the morning to do my shopping ,delivery and stuff at least not to many crazy groups ( must still be sleeping)

Edited by retell
  • Like 1

This thread is not worth reading. Let's just ban all the things farang hate about Songkran.... "Kaping" there we have it, we have now turned Thailand into the next boring predictable, weak ass foreign country full of complaining kill joys..... Go home if you don't like it!

Many residence do escape places like Pattaya where it lasts for 10 days and is tiresome at best, surely it should be for 1 day only.

• Like 1

This thread is not worth reading. Let's just ban all the things farang hate about Songkran.... "Kaping" there we have it, we have now turned Thailand into the next boring predictable, weak ass foreign country full of complaining kill joys..... Go home if you don't like it!

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure....the Thai- government is coming up with this crap, because farang demand it!

...what was the name of your home- planet?

• Like 2

I don't have much of a problem with throwing water. It's pretty harmless. Very cold water can be quite a shock to the system, but again no harm done. BUT...last year I found several jerks were throwing cold water with large chunks of ice in the water. I was hit in the mouth with a chunk of ice the size of a fist last year and went home bleeding and in a considerable amount of pain. The injury could have been worse.

How about prohibiting anything but liquid water from being thrown??

wai2.gif have a safe and happy Songkran wai.gif

• Like 1

This another joke cast upon us by the officials. Chiang Rai is noted for having more acidents per capita than anyother province durning the Songkran Festival. Buy a lot of food and beer and stay lhome unless you love to be part of the problem.

This another joke cast upon us by the officials. Chiang Rai is noted for having more acidents per capita than anyother province durning the Songkran Festival. Buy a lot of food and beer and stay lhome unless you love to be part of the problem.

Yes. Count me as part of the problem! I have a lot of fun this time of year. It's one of the few times I can have fun with the Thais.

What a totally myopic stance, many Thais do not like how this simple ceremony has been perverted, do you want to tell them to go home too?
let's what the myopics say if some thai comes up with an idea like banning water splashing down from pick ups.

Many residence do escape places like Pattaya where it lasts for 10 days and is tiresome at best, surely it should be for 1 day only.
not an escape. nearly everyone is going home over songkran

i remember a couple of years ago they used alot of homemade diy water guns made out of these blue waterpipes. these waterguns worked with an incredible high pressure. creating a risk of injuries to the eye.

authorities put a ban on it - never saw them again.

What a totally myopic stance, many Thais do not like how this simple ceremony has been perverted, do you want to tell them to go home too?
let's what the myopics say if some thai comes up with an idea like banning water splashing down from pick ups.

have I missed something ?

i remember a couple of years ago they used alot of homemade diy water guns made out of these blue waterpipes. these waterguns worked with an incredible high pressure. creating a risk of injuries to the eye.

Obviously your myopia is due the said eye injury - those assault weapons were evident in Pattaya last Songkran....

Obviously your myopia is due the said eye injury - those assault weapons were evident in Pattaya last Songkran....

some isolated cases maybe. but not that wide spread anymore like 10 years ago. where everybody got one of that 30 baht cheap waterpipe made blow your eyes out waterguns.

are you here to complain about that the authorities do nothing or are you here to complain about that the authorities came up with the idea to ban water play from pick ups?

People are not allowed to drive on the wrong side of the road, after market side cars are not allowed on motorbikes, prostitution and gambling are illegal, taxi drivers are not allowed to refuse fares...... blah blah blah

yet ANOTHER waste of time to even mention to us that ANYTHING will be enforced. Would bet my life savings and future earnings that I WILL be splashed with water from a pick up truck here in Phuket.

Thais are such law abiding citizens and always do as they are told

As for throwing it from the back of pick ups what is the point if riding back there just allows you to be a victim to streets lined with people throwing buckets of water at you such as we get here in Chiang Mai.

That's the whole fun of it : ) ~!

Although it does get a bit boring after the second year...

I think the throwing of water at motor bikes on high speed roads should be banned in all of Thailand.

Some years back I was riding my bike into town, just prior to Songkran,so I thought it was safe... suddenly out of no where a guy throws a buck of water directly into my face, I damn near crashed, I stopped,looked back and saw a farang and his Thai-tart grinning from ear to ear. I was so pissed that I drove back,got off my bike walked up to the guy and grabbed the pale out of his hand and smashed him up-side the head, while he was apologizing profusely I scolded the xxxx out of his girlfriend in Thai.

Since then I stay home during Songkran,drink Ya Dong and frown. wacko.png

Wish there were thousands like you around at Songkran---too many ting tongs around, good for you

• Like 2

If it is not worth reading, then don't, and then you will never know if there any killjoys around, and it then won't Pig you off. I like half of it -and I live here so I am home.

I think the throwing of water at motor bikes on high speed roads should be banned in all of Thailand.

Some years back I was riding my bike into town, just prior to Songkran,so I thought it was safe... suddenly out of no where a guy throws a buck of water directly into my face, I damn near crashed, I stopped,looked back and saw a farang and his Thai-tart grinning from ear to ear. I was so pissed that I drove back,got off my bike walked up to the guy and grabbed the pale out of his hand and smashed him up-side the head, while he was apologizing profusely I scolded the xxxx out of his girlfriend in Thai.

Since then I stay home during Songkran,drink Ya Dong and frown. wacko.png

Wish there were thousands like you around at Songkran---too many ting tongs around, good for you

This is why I tend not to target farangs XD They no understand.

Realistically, it's a fun thing especially during this heat, HOWEVER, there are certain places where the line needs to be drawn, for example:

• no huge splashes for speeding vehicles

• no ice cubes ... that's just stupid

• no smearing that shitty paste in eyes and nostrils

• no spraying of cyclists in the face

• no targeting of food stalls

• no targeting of pregnant women

• no targeting of senior citizens

• no targeting of people in expensive-looking clothes

The list can go on. However, Thais just don't get it. It's not their fault either -- drunk with joy and ignorance. There's just absolutely NO campaign on spreading awareness of the dangers of being trigger happy. Not at all. It's all DONT DO THIS... instead of "If you do this... THIS will happen." The government just doesn't give a shit. They just want to pwn over the people.

This used to be a tradition in the Philippines during "San Juan" day (St. John's day) until irate people started shooting the revelers with REAL guns.

I think the same will start to happen here in Thailand.

Then it'll be back to the boring old temple tradition : )

Edited by theajarn

If we used a crop spraying aircraft rather than a pick-up then that would be OK wouldn't it? 1 000ft law excepted of course coffee1.gif

I just love those Purple-Red-Blue-Yellow dyes, so nice --having to go buy new clothes after .

I just love the white powder that is thrown with water, that sticks on visors and windscreens- not knowing where your going for 10 meters until you stop.

If you are out of town and travelling on a inter town road a gllon of water from a bucket at speed and weight is good fun ??

Now on a good note In towns and cities 1 or 2 days of slow trucks farm tuk tuks pick ups the lot, doing a tour around town is super. this is more how it used to be.

and for all those that tell posters to sod off--go home -up yours.

• Like 1

The ban on young ladies wearing spaghetti strap tops was going to stop them from being sexually assaulted or raped was another load of tommyrot. It never happened.

Perhaps this ban will be as effective as the ban on "Super Soaker" water guns about ten years ago. A few days after the ban came into force I saw a policeman and his young son buying aforementioned water pistols.

Gotta love this country as the unpopular or pathetic laws never get enforced. Do you really want Thailand to be like the west? Stupid and unpopular laws are enforced just because "It's the law!".

Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a motorbike having an accident while getting water dumped on them from a pickup? All the ones i know of were drunks on bikes running off the road at night...

A Paramedic who has worked during the festival for a few years could probably give you a hundred examples. I for one would be happy if they would just stopped throwing ICE water on me. So for the last few years I only venture out by car and drive extra slow and careful around the merry makers.