Songkran: People Not Allowed To Splash Water Down From Pickup Trucks

webfact

This is easy. A pickup with a bunch of Thais in the back end has one of the Thais dowse me with a bucket of ice water. Same same.

Then I get arrested for "farang in possession of ice water by wearing" and pay 500 baht in tea money to be released. tongue.png

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I blame the "foreigner and foreign tourists" for the mess that Songkran has become. Thais only do what they see stupid farang do because it looks like more fun.

You will fit in nicely here in the land of smiles, in some areas and with some people. Maybe you can propose an "open season" on foreigners, a split season may be best, female first, then male, and finally any surviors including children can be targeted. Guess you did not experience this festival a couple decades ago in the heart of Bangkok, prior to its advertisment to bring in more tourists?

• Like 1

Was this not issued on April 1st? I mean really ... whoever saw a policeman out at Songkran? They are all 'elsewhere' keeping dry. Or, of course, finding and charging foreigners for various misdemeanours which apparently require only a bad photocopy of the 'fine' form.

Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a motorbike having an accident while getting water dumped on them from a pickup? All the ones i know of were drunks on bikes running off the road at night...

Not quite, but I saw two young girls seriously injured when they were rammed from behind by a heavy pickup with 2 or 3 barrels of water in the back. The truck braked too late, wheels locked and skidded head-on into the girls' bike and impaled them on the dropped tailgate of a similarly heavy, water-carrying pickup that was stopped ahead. They were pinned, broken and bleeding for several minutes as there was no room in the gridlock for either truck to inch forward or back and no room for any emergency vehicles to get to them.

After witnessing that on South Pattaya Road one wet and fun-filled Songkran afternoon, the Songkran novelty wore off real fast.

Most of the problems are caused by Farang not Thai, the Farang go totally overboard with the water pipes etc, in Pattaya at least it has been my experience!

Wow an authoritarian on experience, it's not like we haven't had one of those before. And why wasn't this post deleted? and this person suspended

I say something about a neck - Tie and I get in trouble, I been suspended twice with my posts deleted...why is this statement any different then mine?

I blame the "foreigner and foreign tourists" for the mess that Songkran has become. Thais only do what they see stupid farang do because it looks like more fun.

Well it's true....how many of the neck ties have you seen get drunk and drive, before the foreigners came? none Right?.......c'mon......right? nuph! said.

What utter nonsense.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/04/have-songkran-waterfights-really-changed-that-much/

20130404-161156.jpg

I'm expecting an aged expat will remember posting at the time:

"Why don't they use these new fangled plastic buckets they got now? I saw a serious accident last songkran when the handle come off and the galvanised bucket hit the farang clear in the face. Knocked him,his mother and his three circus act balancing Pit Bull Terriers clean off the bike!"

Edited by muttley
  • Like 1

You're being sarcastic I hope. One of the most bizarre things I've read on here. Just go to any Thai area where you will find no farang in sight at Songkran and it will be mayhem too.

I guess that Farang caused corruption over here too, as they saw how much money farang have and want a slice of the pie.

So is it LAW or NOT ????? It is reported as Law in the OP.

quote....

People not allowed to splash water down from pickup trucks during Songkran

An Interior Ministry meeting to discuss reducing road accidents and casualties during Songkran holiday has set April 11-17 as days when tight control on the road will be implemented.

People on pickup trucks will be banned from splashing water on public roads, in order to reduce the risk of accident occurring.

nntlogo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

now the police chief says this is not a law, just a suggestion for safety sake. It will be interesting to see the outcome in CM.

This is what my Thai friends are telling me. I am guessing that it will be ignored in Chiang Mai.

Yep - same same

now the police chief says this is not a law, just a suggestion for safety sake. It will be interesting to see the outcome in CM.

He probably realised that the police were taking no notice whatsoever.

There were police in Kosum Phisai and dozens of pickups parked along the street and driving along it. The police even got wet as well but nobody seemed to worry. I can't see a problem except when people act dangerously. Such as throwing water in the faces of motorcyclists.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the ministry fail to enact a law banning pickups from splashing water on public roads or did the police fail to enforce it?

Whichever, with record deaths and injuries over this last Songkran either the ministry or the police are partly responsible.

Their failure to teach and/or legislate the people about how dangerous this pickup splashing water on public roads; bucket loads of water thrown at moving motorbikes; and all the other crazy stuff that cause death and injury is their fault.

I hope they are proud of themselves.