Songkran: People Not Allowed To Splash Water Down From Pickup Trucks

webfact

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this really going to work? You have convoys of pickups in Chiangmai and traffic is in gridlock and it is impossible to drive around the inner city area. If you have the police stopping and booking every single vehicle because they have a bucket of water in the back then traffic will go from a snails pace to a complete stop. What about all the people on the side of the road with thier large bins of water thowing it on the road or the firehoses spraying mega amounts of water from the stages?

If they really wanted to stamp this out they should have started an adverstising campaign 6 months ago outlining the intentions and not 14 days prior to the event.

If this does work all I can see is the reduction of all the pretty little things in wet T Shirts and that will be ashame. I came to Thailand for Songkran and all the dripping wet young ladies.smile.png

Last year, in Samut Prakan where I live, our local police prevented all Songkran pick-up trucks from entering local soi´s, as well as they asked all girls in white t-shirts (which will be see-through when wet) to go home and change clothes.

We had the best Songkran ever, without the usual pick-up trucks, loaded with drunken people from far away, who find it fun to block the traffic and party, in other peoples neighbourhoods, rather than in their own neighbourhoods.

But didn't you miss the girls with the wet white T shirts after they were sent home to thier rooms?biggrin.png

Not in a million years here in Chiang Mai! Try stopping 100's of trucks with water barrels in the back! Will never happen!

Yeah agreed. Just how many BIB's across the whole country would it take to stop this?

More good ideas but ones that will come to nothing!

Another silly, meaningless crackdown.coffee1.gif

Oh, so Songkran has come around again! Cheers! Sure! I know, Lets ban alcohol and throwing water from pickups just two weeks before the event...Cheers!....Send out emails tomorrow to all provinces OK! Cheers! Bottoms up -in more ways than one! Cheers! Only in ThaIland! It will happen, like these ideas,only in your dreams!

• Like 1

I think it's high time some of these stupid spokespersons in GOV had some sort of Phyco-therapy

Why only Pick ups--You have a host of not named vehicles that are allowed to do it.

When will we get some uniformity in crackdowns --we need SENSIBLE thought out properly- measures, I get the feeling some of these measures are thought of at breakfast OR when Pi#sed,

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 2

Blah blah blah blah blah blah - It is amazing how Government ministers and officials can produce more xxxx from their mouths in one paragraph than a field of pigs can xxxx in a month. Do these people live in a little bubble on another planet? Are they all severely mentally retarded or do they actually belive the xxxx that comes out of their mouths! Unbelievable!

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity
  • Like 1

If memory serves correctly, in years past a law was passed that was intended to do away with people riding in the back of trucks or at least servely limit the number. Never has seen that enforced either.

were water cannon/guns included in this proposal?

Another genuinely great idea that would certainly reduce the road toll, especially more minor injuries caused by bikes sliding off the wet slippery roads. They get very wet, especially during the dry season with the build-up of sludge on the roads. Water play should b restricted to walking-only areas or private residences. The problem will be giving it over to provincial govenors - will they have the will to enforce it? It will certainly stop some of the horrendous traffic congestion in many of the towns here. Took me over an hour to travel a few hundred meters through a water celebration once...let's see how this pans out.

Oh...good...frigging...grief. sick.gif

Well, in Pattaya the only time pickups were used was the last day when all the pickups in town were driving around the circuit loaded with water and people having great fun. Can't see the point in banning that.

What I would like to see banned is using ice in the water. Songkran became a no no for me after they started doing that. I use to enjoy it, but now I stay indoors- pity.

• Like 1

Lets just ban Songkran full stop.

yeah, and while you are at it ban Easter, Christmas, New Year and any other festival that normal people might actually enjoy - interesting that you should choose Mr Toad as your handle - if I recall Mr Toad in the story was an arrogant creature who did exactly what he liked and didn't care about anyone but himself. In the excellent story he learned the errors of his ways, clearly your story has a long way to run.

> Has anyone here ever seen or heard of a motorbike having an accident while getting water dumped on them from a pickup?

I guess you don't live in Thailand.

I have seen many accidents caused by idiots throwing a bucket of water at a passing motocycle.

Iced water is the latest stupid idea, and has an even worse effect.

Last year I saw some idiot farangs throughing water with ICE CUBES.

Complete and utter idiots.

It's not just throwing water at moving motorcycles. I nearly had a very bad accident driving a car down a straight highway at about 90 kph, when all of a sudden a couple of kids darted out and threw two buckets of water that hit my windscreen. The force of water against my windscreen moving at 90 kph cause a huge noise and caused me to momentarily be unable to see do to the water.

This sort of thing is very, very dangerous and could cause one to lose control, whilst killing themselves and perhaps other who may me standing along the side of the road. Throwing buckets of water at passing vehicles has nothing to do with the real meaning of Songkran, and of course I would be dreaming to think anything would ever been done to stop it.

Sad but true. Some years back I was driving back from work taking a back road when a pick-up truck of drunks going in the opposite direction, hurled ice which smashed my windscreen. When I eventually found a garage I had to join the queue for a new windscreen!! Some call this good fun.

• Like 1

I think the throwing of water at motor bikes on high speed roads should be banned in all of Thailand.

Some years back I was riding my bike into town, just prior to Songkran,so I thought it was safe... suddenly out of no where a guy throws a buck of water directly into my face, I damn near crashed, I stopped,looked back and saw a farang and his Thai-tart grinning from ear to ear. I was so pissed that I drove back,got off my bike walked up to the guy and grabbed the pale out of his hand and smashed him up-side the head, while he was apologizing profusely I scolded the xxxx out of his girlfriend in Thai.

Since then I stay home during Songkran,drink Ya Dong and frown. wacko.png

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity
  • Like 2

This thread is not worth reading. Let's just ban all the things farang hate about Songkran.... "Kaping" there we have it, we have now turned Thailand into the next boring predictable, weak ass foreign country full of complaining kill joys..... Go home if you don't like it!

• Like 1