Cycling - The Less Serious Side

cycloneJ

out riding this morning - my favourite 40km loop with a stop for a sea swim at 24km; caught, and overtaken by a group from Burapha Uni, hybrids and MTBs (in my defence, a lot younger than me) they were keeping a good pace - despite the near 40C they were typically covered head-to toe.

Further on saw them stopped up ahead, a shelter there and they'd stopped for a breather, I stopped too, and saw why they'd waved me down . . .

one of them had the clever idea of riding his MTB across an empty shrimp pond; a dry/cracked base in a pond maybe 50m x 50m. He'd made it about 20m before the dry-cracked crust gave way, and he was nicely bogged. His friends were a great help, rolling about in laughter offering advice, but no actual help. He pulled his foot out of the mud - minus a shoe. Could have been worse, seemed to be solid about a foot deep and he was able to get himself and bike back - minus his pride.

And the smell! Nowhere near to wash it off and 'it' was well caked on his shoes/tights and bike wheels. Well, you know the ingredients.,

I suspect he'll live with this 'legend' for a long time.

Anyone for shrimp?

Note: I did have my camera but despite the laughter, decided taking his pic may not have been the polite thing to do.

• Like 1

OK one more, January, riding with a group

there's a newish bridge on this route, about 50m downstream from the old one creating a U in the road; the old bridge is closed, but allows for pedestrian/cycle access, with a red/white barrier arm across about 90% width

The well-worn trail heads to the left (heading home) end of the barrier arm, room for bikes single-file.

As we had to slow for one at a time, one bloke decided to zoom around the other end of the barrier and make a break.

Well, the long grass that appeared to be about axle-height was actually closer to a metre high - it was a drainage ditch, overgrown and filled with dropped tree branches, long grass and stinking dirty water.

What a clever trap for a cyclist. No injuries, just a loss of pride. I ride that way several times a week, always a little smile in that memory.

anyone else having FUN cycling??

• 3 weeks later...

Took a ride yesterday and got attacked by a forest grouse. The thing was the size of a chicken and I made the mistake of stopping to try to find its nest or chicks. It was throwing itself at me, glancing off my chest when I got close to the chicks, which I never did see. Once I rode off, it followed me a good 100 meters to make sure I was really gone. Had this happen once with Ptarmigan in Alaska but this was a first in Thailand.