Bad Fuel

britgent

Recently my little Mio started seeming like it was working twice as hard for the same result.

I looked at everything but seeing as it had just had a full service everything was OK.

I was even starting to worry if the transmission or engine were causing this extra 'drag'.

Well lo and behold I only fill her up with a new tank of fuel and she's as sprightly as ever. It was a shell petrol station if I recall that I used that rectified everything.

So was this just a case of old or substandard fuel? I worry as the place I bought the defunct fuel from is one I have used regularly before on Huey kuew road.

I only put 91 gasahol in as its what the sticker on the fuel cap says.

Maybe I put normal petrol in and it ran like crap?

I recently drained the float chamber in the carb and thought the petrol a little dirty, I cleaned the carb out completely rode the bike and a couple of weeks later wanted to take the carb off again and again drained the float chamber, and found dirty petrol.

So I thought I would clean out the tank and the 3 litres of fuel had fine black particles in it, I thought about throwing the fuel away, but then decided to let the particles settle and then use the good fuel. However, after 20 minutes nothing had settled the black was still suspended in the fuel, so presumably that is what came from the pump.

I recently drained the float chamber in the carb and thought the petrol a little dirty, I cleaned the carb out completely rode the bike and a couple of weeks later wanted to take the carb off again and again drained the float chamber, and found dirty petrol.

So I thought I would clean out the tank and the 3 litres of fuel had fine black particles in it, I thought about throwing the fuel away, but then decided to let the particles settle and then use the good fuel. However, after 20 minutes nothing had settled the black was still suspended in the fuel, so presumably that is what came from the pump.

That was probably a batch of 'el negro gasolino' from Africa! biggrin.png

Let the fuel run through a paper coffee filter to get the crap out. Works pretty well iirr.

But maybe seedy is right. Maybe its the fuel hose. Maybe old or broken from gasohol?