Bupa Versus Lmg Pacific Healthcare

watcharacters

I'd like the Missus to have her own healthcare policy.

She's a few months short of 21 years and has no health issues.

I want to start off with a company to find out how well it works and after a year's trial, I'd add her young son as well. he does have a few health issues. I'm OK to cover those costs out of pocket in the meantime.

I'm too old to join any healthcare plan probably anywhere but I already have full coverage from my home country anyway from my previous company.

I think Bupa and LMG go head to head for customers here in LOS.

Any thoughts or opinions as to which has an advantage or disadvantage over the other?

We're located in Issan although I'd hope that wouldn't matter.

TIA

Is your wife Thai? As if so, she is already covered under Thailand's universal health care scheme. (As is her son). Which is why insurance costs are so high in Thailand, very few Thais bother with it as they all have cover already.

Of course, the government scheme will only cover her care in government facilities. So if your goal is to ensure she can get care in private hospitals then yes, private insurance would be needed. I just mention this as many expats are not aware that Thailand has universal health care coverage for its citizens. It is a comparatively new thing.

Contact Tony Dabbs at www.e-insurethailand.com and get his advice because there's nobody more knowledgeable on this subject and it beats (a) doing the legwork yourself and (B) taking the risk that the advice you get on this forum may on occasion not be particularly authoritative. Dealing through a licensed insurance broker like Tony costs more than dealing with insurers directly and not only saves you time but also gives you an advocate if you need one as a result of a claim.

Contact Tony Dabbs at www.e-insurethailand.com and get his advice because there's nobody more knowledgeable on this subject and it beats (a) doing the legwork yourself and (cool.png taking the risk that the advice you get on this forum may on occasion not be particularly authoritative. Dealing through a licensed insurance broker like Tony costs more than dealing with insurers directly and not only saves you time but also gives you an advocate if you need one as a result of a claim.

I agree that using a broker saves leg work and mistakes. I bought my LMG Pacific policy from Tony Dabbs after he helped me compare the cover and cost with BUPA's offerings. I haven't regretted taking his advice.

Tony has retired and sold out to BSI Brokers (Thailand) Ltd. BSI offer an excellent service too.

One thing about Health Insurance in Thailand, if medical treatment is recommended by a medical staff member of a network member hospital, they may prove to be a far better advocate with the insurer than any broker could be.

My own experience is that my broker and LMG have been very helpful and supportive. I have given them feedback on what's going on and they have helped me get the best treatment in the best place. Hospitals, on the other hand, will push as much medication and in-patient care at you as they think they can get away with. If you are paying for treatment yourself with no expert advice, you will probably pay for more than is necessary.

It's good, by the way, to see so many people here who have insurance. I seem to be a lone figure in my area and, when the subject arises, there's silence from some and the all too common sneering at insurance companies.

Is your wife Thai? As if so, she is already covered under Thailand's universal health care scheme. (As is her son). Which is why insurance costs are so high in Thailand, very few Thais bother with it as they all have cover already.

Of course, the government scheme will only cover her care in government facilities. So if your goal is to ensure she can get care in private hospitals then yes, private insurance would be needed. I just mention this as many expats are not aware that Thailand has universal health care coverage for its citizens. It is a comparatively new thing.

Thanks for the reply Sheryl. Yes she is Thai. I'm aware of the medical system in place for Thais. Her family has had to avail themselves so many times for her son. And yes my goal is to have more options available. I've been in a few (3) private hospitals as well as a Thai hospital for her son. While I have no criticism of the Thai system, I'd still like to have a few things available which I didn't see in the government hospital.

Overall, I don't have "sticker shock" here with the price of medical insurance. I pay far more than what Bupa, for instance, would charge for her coverage and I was under a company plan which offered free medical insurance at the time I retired some years ago. Things change and with the global (mostly)economy tanking as it did, I now pay a lot more than "free". Life is nothing but evolution so I just go with the program and try to smile.

Edited by watcharacters

Contact Tony Dabbs at www.e-insurethailand.com and get his advice because there's nobody more knowledgeable on this subject and it beats (a) doing the legwork yourself and (cool.png taking the risk that the advice you get on this forum may on occasion not be particularly authoritative. Dealing through a licensed insurance broker like Tony costs more than dealing with insurers directly and not only saves you time but also gives you an advocate if you need one as a result of a claim.

I agree that using a broker saves leg work and mistakes. I bought my LMG Pacific policy from Tony Dabbs after he helped me compare the cover and cost with BUPA's offerings. I haven't regretted taking his advice.

Tony has retired and sold out to BSI Brokers (Thailand) Ltd. BSI offer an excellent service too.

You're just slightly incorrect - Tony has indeed joined forces with BSI Broker Thailand in order to tap into wider resources to help manage back office administration and renewals and provide access to a wider range of products, but he hasn't retired and this move has lightened some of his administrative load so he can concentrate on assisting clients with obtaining the best health insurance options. He's still operating at www.e-insurethailand.com quite separately from BSI Broker Thailand although they have formed a partnership, and Tony remains without doubt the respected elder statesman of the industry and the most experienced and knowledgeable expert in the whole question of expat health insurance in Thailand

• Like 1

I second the opinions on both Tony Dabbs and BSI Brokers.

• Like 1

You're just slightly incorrect - Tony has indeed joined forces with BSI Broker Thailand in order to tap into wider resources to help manage back office administration and renewals and provide access to a wider range of products, but he hasn't retired and this move has lightened some of his administrative load so he can concentrate on assisting clients with obtaining the best health insurance options. He's still operating at www.e-insurethailand.com quite separately from BSI Broker Thailand although they have formed a partnership, and Tony remains without doubt the respected elder statesman of the industry and the most experienced and knowledgeable expert in the whole question of expat health insurance in Thailand

Thanks for the correction and additional information. I concur with your profile of Tony.

we use BUPA. So simple no paperwork, no claim back procedures waiting for the money etc.

Bupa hospital Swipe the card. Job Done. I don't mind paying a premium for that.

That's good service. Same with LMG Pacific - hand the card to the cashier sign a pre-completed authorisation and the bill goes straight to the insurer. No payment or claim back by me.

It's worth taking a deductible. I would deal with small clams myself anyway and a deductible gives me a good discount. LMG Pacific and, I guess, BUPA, give a no claims discount. Also, excluding out-patient's treatment reduces the premium.

<snipped>

Also, excluding out-patient's treatment reduces the premium.

<snipped>

Yes, excluding out-patient treatment reduces the premium considerably, but it also excludes some very expensive treatments such as many types of cancer treatment.

Sophon