Voting

opothai

the wife has shown me a document published in a thai magazine [ thai smile] that states in thai, that if you do not vote and you are a thai national, then upon your return to thailand you can loose some rights i.e maybe the right to buy land, has she understood this correctly.

The missus says there's nothing in there about losing the right to buy land. Only that you lose "some rights", which are as Samran points out, aren't all that major.

The ad does, however, point out the need to register to vote at the Embassy in February, in order to actually vote later on.

I've been living outside Thailand most of my adult life and I still get calls to vote in every election that comes up. And I will do so again next month as I haven't casted a voted in any election anywhere else in the world till the last one a year ago. I tried to vote in the election for the other country of my citizenship last year but I lost the registration paper....

As far as I'm aware, if you don't vote then you lose your right to vote in the next election.

If that is the case, you would also lose out on the money you would have sold your vote for! :D

That's hardly fair... :o

As far as I'm aware, if you don't vote then you lose your right to vote in the next election.

It doesn't make sense. It means by forgeting/being unable to vote once in your 20's you are effectively disenfranchised for the rest of your life.

If that was the rule, the opposition wouldn't be advocating a boycott of this election. It would mean their supporters would be unable to vote for them in all subsequent elections.

I believe it's only in the next election - not for the rest of your life. I don't know how strictly they enforce this though. My friend's mother has never voted in her life, but still they register her to vote every time!

Although there is currently a Thai Rak Thai candidate who has been disqualified because the EC say he didn't vote in the general election last year.