Why Would Anyone Want To Live In Chiang Mai

goforit

Cant beat Chiang Mai! Mountains, markets, people, food, safety, cheap, swimming pools, ladies, weather... The only thing is the nightlife could be better but is OK.

People is always complaining... If you dont like back home mate!

• Like 1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try to be honest, and this is just MY opinion. just a few thoughts:

1. It is hot, day and night (for the most part). There is one season.....hot.

2. This place feels like a community....the only place I feel "at home" in SE Asia.

3. I've never had a problem here. no aggression, ever....6 months.

4. Greasy eggs, white rice, questionable meat, and maybe plastic in fruit and vegetables get me worried

5. I like mountains more than the beach, but the older I get I might change

6. This place does make me want to justify to myself and others why i'm here more than 3 months. I don't do this back home. So, it makes you feel a little bit like a loser if you are here too long. sorry, just how I feel. I should wear the t-shirt, "i'm not a sex tourist and I am not broke."

7. this place does attract some people with no money and just looking for sex. sure, other cities do, but here it's more in the open. However, if you want to change that, just have much more money and go to a community where poor people can't spend much time there.

8. It's great being able to walk every single night. and every morning, for that matter.

9. I am not thai, and will never be thai. but that is my issue....

10. I really don't like paying for water, ever.

11. I was amazed there was good pizza here. and the milk, ice cream, and bread has become much better.

12. people are super friendly here.....even if it's just on face or for your money, it's all relative. it's nice.

13. I would never buy property here, or start a business......so that limits some "freedom"

14....and last thing, speaking of "freedom"......this is again MY issue....but I feel more comfortable at home when it comes to whatever laws exist. again....MY issue. i am certainly comfortable enough to be here 6 months.

• Like 1

come on lets be honest,place is full,full of backpackers
full of building sites
full of smog all day
roads full of cars motor bikes tuk tuks bycycles ect ect
immigration full 5 days a week
full of expats
full of chinese japanese korenese.
full of temples
full of thai people
were full please stay away
might be able to get a lung full of fresh air then.

I don't have the data to back this up, but I've always suspected that young beautiful women willing to sleep with older men is a factor.

The ones willing to sleep with older men are rarely beautiful.

My wifes beautiful.

So is mine, l wonder what folk here think is young. smile.png

• Like 1

The problem of chiang mai is that many foreigners hang out around the old city, however Chiang mai is much more than that.

To be honest, the nightlife in CM is poor quality, the best clubs in city are Infinity and warm up, apart from that the clubs are bullshit. ie spicy or hot shots.

Waiting for sonic playground

• Like 1

I don't have the data to back this up, but I've always suspected that young beautiful women willing to sleep with older men is a factor.

And sometimes not born a female

• Like 1

The problem of chiang mai is that many foreigners hang out around the old city, however Chiang mai is much more than that.

To be honest, the nightlife in CM is poor quality, the best clubs in city are Infinity and warm up, apart from that the clubs are bullshit. ie spicy or hot shots.

"Waiting for sonic playground"

Me too!!

"Waiting for sonic playground"

Me too!!

Sounds like a GO GO Bar

Bumped into two Russians at the Saturday market who started in their patter as yes I always get mistaken for one of them.

To think they aren't in route is foolish.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Bumped into two Russians at the Saturday market who started in their patter as yes I always get mistaken for one of them.

To think they aren't in route is foolish.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That would annoy me enormously.

• Like 1

Most everything is a mix. Foreign folks who complain about this town are simply stuck back in some past, are unaware of other nations' ways, or don't know a thing about history, even their own. Complaining about differences is pure nonsense, as matters will develop in their own way in spite of us.

For me in a mere three years, things have become somewhat more convenient. Korean Air's regular flying from CM to Incheon and then to N. America has been a strong positive, doubtless associated with the town's growth; perhaps one day westbound travelers will go to Istambul or India direct. .

On the other hand, this vast amount of construction without a hope of improved roads (at least on time) catches my attention.

On the third hand, I find that drivers of all vehicles have improved in the three years I've been here - now, it's almost like driving at home. How quickly they've learned!

• Like 1

"On the third hand, I find that drivers of all vehicles have improved in the three years I've been here - now, it's almost like driving at home. How quickly they've learned!"

your from Peru?

Actually he could be on to something. I've been driving in the Pattaya area for the past month, and this is a night and day difference with Chiang Mai. People here truly don't seem to care about killing themselves, and the number of U-turns where there is no space on the right to wait is staggering. That means you end up stationary in the fast lane. There are very few of those spots in Chiang Mai left. Of course during rush hour traffic might fill up that entire area, but that's rush hour, and traffic is already a bit slower. Here in Patters you can be stationary on the fast lane on Sukhumvit highway or other fast roads at 11pm at night. Not fun. And far fewer roads have divided lanes to begin with, so that means traffic flying in and out from all directions.

It's human nature to forget to feel blessed about things that used to be everyday concerns but aren't (as much) anymore. But if Pattaya had the same attention to roads that Chiang Mai received, then the length of the Sukhumvit highway where it passes town would have tunnels at the main intersections. And tunnels are not only good because you don't have to wait for traffic lights and the general reduction in traffic jams, it ALSO means you're not a sitting duck in the fast lane trying to do a U turn!

There's no real excuse for that; the Pattaya area is booming, with ever increasing tourism from all kinds of countries, industrial estates in the area, condominium building at break-neck speed and Thailand's main port just down the road.

We sometimes forget to count our blessings. And nowhere more so than on this forum.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

i will tell the russians if they really want to make some big bucks head on up to Chiang Mai.

It'll be like killing 2 birds with one stone."so to speak".I believe the average age of dying is around 60.

Breathe in that air.

snapback.png
"On
the third hand, I find that drivers of all vehicles have improved in
the three years I've been here - now, it's almost like driving at home.
How quickly they've learned!"

Actually, I was just trying to make the point that I've accepted Thai customs and habits in driving, many of which are regularly done by many and therefore useful to learn, and easily, once I got over being indignant. Guess I didn't make myself clear, as usual.wai.gif

Edited by CMX
  • Like 1

My wifes beautiful.

So is mine, l wonder what folk here think is young. smile.png

to most expats here,a young women to them is a lady in there 30/40s,

• Like 1

I'd like to say something to put people off coming to Chiang Mai, bloody horrible place, you'll come here for a year and stay for 21.

However, my Korean and Mandarin are nil and that's where the new influx will be from.

"On the third hand, I find that drivers of all vehicles have improved in the three years I've been here - now, it's almost like driving at home. How quickly they've learned!"

your from Peru?

Yes, they are exercising here now - Chinag Mai / Samoeng area, not in Peru.

ccuil140rn0nojxy2.jpg

If you learnt here you'll survive in CM traffic.

ccuioqox765canuze.jpg

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1