Will Mcilroy Regain His Form?

dogpoo

Rory's form has dipped significantly since changing his equipment, why did he change? I can't believe it was over money as he was already a multi millionaire, was it his management company who made the deal with no thought for how it would affect the player, Rory must be very unhappy with his golf at the moment, maybe his relationship has taken first place to golf now, maybe someone with more knowledge of professional golf can give there opinion! I have always followed Rory and am wanting him to play well again and take back the number 1 slot!! come on Rory sort yourself out son!! not Thailand related but still about golf!

Edited by dogpoo

He finished 12 shots back in the Shell Open, but may be getting better?

At this level it really seems like any differences in performance are mental/psychological? And maybe he is having a hard time coping with being apart from his GF, and her struggles to regain form?

I think he'll get back into form by the Open/U.S.Open.

Oh, I think he will get back some or all of his former form. He's playing in Texas again to get some more reps and that will likely help but I am not so sure he is the next Tiger, long term. I don't believe anybody will dominate golf and a field as consistently as Tiger once did...unless it is Tiger doing it again.

It will take some dedication and hard work for Rory to get past his love life, equipment change and paying for the big house in Florida. Only time will tell.

Edited by chuckd

So who's decision would it have been to change equipment that was working perfectly? I don't understand it at all!!

Rory is in business for himself. He makes up his own mind about what equipment to use.

He likely did it for the large bucks involved.

So who's decision would it have been to change equipment that was working perfectly? I don't understand it at all!!

Conor Ridge/Horizon Sports Management.

New management does not get a piece of old/existing sponsorships, hence the desire to move a client to new sponsors.

Rory is in business for himself. He makes up his own mind about what equipment to use.

So it was not about equipment it was about money! he Is a multi millionaire did he think he might run out of the readies? Lets hope he gets back on top love watching him play! Edited by dogpoo

Conor Ridge/Horizon Sports Management.

New management does not get a piece of old/existing sponsorships, hence the desire to move a client to new sponsors.

I imagine Rory had the final say, regardless of Mr. Ridge's percentage. If he doesn't, he should change management companies again.

IMHO, it's hard to beat the Titleist brand.

Well he was playing amazing golf with the Titleists, you never change something that is not broken, I find it hard to believe he thought new equipment would improve his game! But then what do I know!!

Personally, I'm quite convinced the change of equipment doesn't have anything to do with Rory's poor form. Trust me when I tell you Nike will have set up his new clubs to match his old Titleist in every aspect. If anything, I would think Rory is struggling a little bit to get used to the new ball and putter (I believe he switched back to the Scotty Cameron?). Just because someone's not playing well doesn't mean it's due to the equipment; every player suffers from a slump in form every now and then, and Pro’s (including Rory) are no different. Similarly, most players find a streak of good form every now and then for unexplainable reasons – without changing equipment.

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian...

Of course Rory changed his stick's for the bucks. Nike threw the kitchen sink at him to get him (the up and comer - next big thing) to go alongside of Tiger. A big coup for Nike if they have both Rory and Tiger firing - leads to biggest share of market exposure. He is rumoured to be on a contract in the vicinity of $250 million. That sort of money would get any pro to jump ship with their sticks.

Last year with his old clubs he had a 3 tournament slump in the middle of the year and won the major after that. He also put in a shocker at the end of the year with his old clubs playing in Hong Kong. His swing has a tendency to be a bit hit and miss because he has such a move to the inside from the top of his swing, it leads to him being inconsistent. When it is on song however and the course suits, he is unstoppable, courses with lots of right to left, he chews up the par 5's and has a really solid iron and short game. Old school Tigeresque!

Personally I think he will be back competing once he beds in the new gear and regains his confidence. He went back to the Scotty Cameron mid tournament in Dubai and is now back using the Nike Method. I would think that changing the ball would have more of a impact than changing the clubs.

So it was not about equipment it was about money! he Is a multi millionaire did he think he might run out of the readies? Lets hope he gets back on top love watching him play!

Of course it was about the money. Anyone on tour would switch for $200+ million. He'll get it back together.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

McIlroy 'close' to finding top form
ESPN staff
April 1, 2013
Rory McIlroy endured another difficult week with the driver at the Shell Houston Open
Rory McIlroy believes he is closing in on his finest form and is adamant that playing at the Texas Valero Open can only be good for his prospects at The Masters, despite the marked difference in the challenges posed by the two courses.
The world No. 2 opted to play in San Antonio while struggling at the Shell Houston Open, where he finished 12 shots behind winner DA Points for a share of 45th place on Sunday.
The Oaks Course is notoriously tight and windy, bearing little relation to the conditions McIlroy will face at Augusta National, but McIlroy maintains that the most important thing for him right now is to keep playing. "I just need to play competitive golf and that's why I'm going there," McIlroy told the Telegraph. "If it was being held on a par-three course I would go and play.
"I need to commit to targets and it doesn't matter if it's a short course, long course, wide course or whatever. I know that if I can limit those sloppy mistakes I'll be in good shape for The Masters. Four more rounds will do me the world of good."
McIlroy's Shell Houston Open scorecard was littered with examples of the sloppy mistakes he is determined to put right in time for The Masters. Any thoughts of regaining the world No. 1 ranking from Tiger Woods were quickly forgotten as his struggles with his new Nike equipment, particularly the driver, continued, though he was boosted by carding three sub-par rounds at Redstone.

http://www.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/200300.html#

2nd at Valero,question answered?

And he didn't change his equipment, so I guess we can rule that out...

whistling.gif

Item from an article on Yahoo golf:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5-shot swing takes McIlroy out of contention
By NANCY ARMOUR (AP National Writer) | The Associated Press – 5 hours ago
...from the article...

"McIlroy conceded earlier in the week that the adjustment to his new clubs - which came as part of a huge endorsement deal with Nike - had taken some time. But he said his driving had improved greatly and he was gaining confidence with every round he played."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/5-shot-swing-takes-mcilroy-223447349--golf.html;_ylt=AoBXlZLHsdW0ju0S0l1EqjsogsUF;_ylu=X3oDMTRuMzhmNWtoBG1pdANMSVNUUyBNaXhlZCBMaXN0IEdPTEYgSGVhZGxpbmVzBHBrZwMzYzQ2MzAxZC1jZTM3LTM3ZjQtODljOC1jNzZkMzI2ZjE2MzAEcG9zAzMEc2VjA01lZGlhQkxpc3RNaXhlZExQQ0FUZW1wBHZlcgM2NjQwM2Q1MC1hNDkzLTExZTItYWJmYi1kNTYyOTljYzYwYWI-;_ylg=X3oDMTFpZjcwa3Y4BGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANnb2xmBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Edited by chuckd

I still do not understand why Mcilroy changed equipment, the equipment he was using was perfect! he was already a multi millionaire, how much money does one person want? Nike must be unhappy, Mcilroy is certainly not happy!!

He changed because he got a better deal. If Woods can be number 1 with Nike, there's no reason McIlroy can't do the same. It's not the sticks that matter it's the money. Golf comes and goes even without equipment change. It's just easy to shift the blame to equipment if there's a little lull. The swing mechanics of these guys is so good that a great percentage of their success lies between the ears.

He changed because he got a better deal. If Woods can be number 1 with Nike, there's no reason McIlroy can't do the same. It's not the sticks that matter it's the money. Golf comes and goes even without equipment change. It's just easy to shift the blame to equipment if there's a little lull. The swing mechanics of these guys is so good that a great percentage of their success lies between the ears.

Okay, people who do not have a lot of money like myself can not understand a multi millionaire changing good gear just to become even more of a multi millionaire, ah but Mcilroy is not a Tiger woods!!

You always have to beat the iron while it's hot... He's a young guy and managed to get to number one. Good idea to cash in while he can...You don't decide to stop making money just because you have a little bit in your pocket especially at a young age. If that was the case, guys like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs would have quit at a young age. You don't get to the top without being ambitious...That carries in all aspects of life. I would do the same in a heartbeat.

If he wants his private jet, he needs to look out for his future. In any case, it doesn't matter what equipment you play with, if you are good, you will win. I'm sure that's what he believed when he signed the deal. Now he's in a slight slump and he's just playing mind games. There's nothing wrong with his clubs...

Edited by valrhona

Now he's in a slight slump and he's just playing mind games. There's nothing wrong with his clubs...

Correct. The truly bizarre about his slump in form is that a lot of hackers make the same mistake as when they play themselves and believe it's due to the clubs...

The ball, on the other hand, is a completely different matter. My bet is that Rory feels uncomfortable with the flight of the ball and his body makes adjustments to compensate for this.

I can be wrong, of course, but given what I know about this makes me believe that is exactly what is going on.

Now he's in a slight slump and he's just playing mind games. There's nothing wrong with his clubs...

Correct. The truly bizarre about his slump in form is that a lot of hackers make the same mistake as when they play themselves and believe it's due to the clubs...

The ball, on the other hand, is a completely different matter. My bet is that Rory feels uncomfortable with the flight of the ball and his body makes adjustments to compensate for this.

I can be wrong, of course, but given what I know about this makes me believe that is exactly what is going on.

If it is the ball will he eventually get used to it? considering the amount of money involved would Nike have included a performance related clause in his contract?