Thai/european Wanting To Study In Thailand For 6 Month

Hello,

I am a Thai/European double citizen and long time lurker on this forum. I gained Thai citizenship through my Thai mother in 2010 and I had no issues thanks to the valuable information I found here. Being a 20-year-old man, I also found great information on how to avoid the military draft (Thanks samran!).

Here's my issues: My University has an exchange agreement with the Chulalongkorn University, where students can enroll on an exchange for 6 month. I plan to study there in 2014.

If I didn't have a Thai passport, I would simply apply for a student visa. My question is, can I simply enter Thailand with my Thai passport for 6 months, study there and leave as if it were nothing? Or do I need to register somewhere?

Or would it be easier to apply for a student visa with my EU passport? (Would that be legal?)

Since I am 20 years old, I am also a bit worried about the military draft. I didn't plan to live/work in Thailand before I turned 30, but this worries me a bit. Any information regarding this is welcome as I couldn't find anything on this forum.

Edited by Michael S

You can simply enter on your Thai passport, without issues. But when registering for the university they might want to see your Thai ID-number and household registration book. That will mean you have to register first on a household registration book, and that means registering for the draft.

Inquire with the university first what documents you need to submit them to register there.

Nothing illegal with entering with a European passport, more dual nationalities do that. On show of your Thai nationality you should be able to get a multiple non-O visa for 5,000 baht in local currency. That will be enough for your study, just a border run after 90 days in Thailand.

No visa will also be fine, you can get a 1 year extension of stay from immigration on show of your Thai passport and telling them you can't find family to register on a household registration book yet.

Thank you very much for your help. I will contact the Chulalongkorn University and ask them what documents they need.

I was hoping I could just enter Thailand for 6 months without doing much paperwork. Would I still need to register at the immigration office if the Chulalongkorn University doesn't require any papers?

If not, getting a visa on my European passport seems to be the easiest solution as I don't speak Thai well enough to ask for a 1-year-extension. But shouldn't I be getting a student visa then? Or is it okay since I have a Thai passport? Either way, I'm glad this isn't any issue and that many dual citizens do that.

Many thanks! I'm glad that the Thai military isn't an issue. I will update this thread with the information I will get from Chula in case somebody is in a similar situation as me.

If the university doesn't require any papers (or more specific a household registration) you just enter on your Thai passport and the airport will be the only immigration you will see.

You can study on any kind of visa, but as a Thai national it doesn't mater much anyway. You can always get 1 year extension based on your Thai nationality.

If the university doesn't require any papers (or more specific a household registration) you just enter on your Thai passport and the airport will be the only immigration you will see.

You can study on any kind of visa, but as a Thai national it doesn't mater much anyway. You can always get 1 year extension based on your Thai nationality.

But why would a Thai passport holder even need a visa ?

Thanks! That is good news. I am pretty confident that the Chulalongkorn University won't need any papers as I am just an exchange student for 6 months. I will confirm this with Chula and update this thread in case anybody is in a similar situation as me. And if not then I will simply apply for a visa. (I didn't know that was possible.)

My problem is if my university requests a household registration; I would rather apply as a foreigner on a student visa, than dealing with the immigration office with my poor Thai and risking military service. Edited by Michael S

A Thai passport holder would need a visa if they came entered Thailand the other nationalties passport...biggrin.png

I know this sounds strange, as technically speaking the right of "abode" doesnt really have anything to do with the passport your carry. but it seems Thai immigration want the choose the nationality you want to be on entering, wrong I know, as it infers if you come into the country on another PP somehow infers you are something less that a Thai citizen, which is not true..

Certainly would be an interesting court case, if a Thai national was fined on a overstay in a country they are citizen of, if they chose to take this to court.

The only reason I can think of (and dual thai nationals dont jump on me) is that Thailand tolerates dual nationality as opposed to fully recognising dual nationality in law

Thanks! That is good news. I am pretty confident that the Chulalongkorn University won't need any papers as I am just an exchange student for 6 months. I will confirm this with Chula and update this thread in case anybody is in a similar situation as me. And if not then I will simply apply for a visa. (I didn't know that was possible.)

>But why would a Thai passport holder even need a visa ?

My problem is if my university requests a household registration; I would rather apply as a foreigner on a student visa, than dealing with the immigration office with my poor Thai and risking military service.

Cant see how you would be risking military service and within the draft system, there must be excemptions if you are studying, therefore if you are studying they will not call you ?

I wouldn't worry. At most, Chula will just want your European based details for enroling you in the course, they won't be expecting you to have a Thai PP.

Having said that, just enter on your Thai PP. The military won't find out, and in the highly likely circumstance that they do, you are studying and can't be touched anyway.

I'm assuming you aren't on the tabieen baan nor have an ID card.

If you leave before your 21st birthday you would skip the draft call up because that is the age when they send a list for men of that age to appear at the Amphoe for the draw.

If you haven't done it yet you should register at the Thai embassy in the country where you live which gives you an exemption if you are living outside the country.

Edited by ubonjoe

If not, getting a visa on my European passport seems to be the easiest solution as I don't speak Thai well enough to ask for a 1-year-extension.

No need to speak Thai for a 1-year extension.

Most people extending for 1-year for marriage and retirement does not speak any Thai.

Thanks for all your replies folks! I was under the impression that I had to register somewhere in Thailand if I wanted to stay for a longer period of time. It seems that I will simply enter Thailand with my Thai passport. And if Chula doesn't want me to be Thai (unlikely) I will simply apply for a visa. laugh.png I didn't know that was possible as a Thai person. Entering Thailand with a foreign Passport: Yes. But applying for a visa? This is very surprising to me. Thank you for clarifying that Soutpeel and Mario!

I wouldn't worry. At most, Chula will just want your European based details for enroling you in the course, they won't be expecting you to have a Thai PP.

Having said that, just enter on your Thai PP. The military won't find out, and in the highly likely circumstance that they do, you are studying and can't be touched anyway.

I'm assuming you aren't on the tabieen baan nor have an ID card.

I with you on this. However my university specifically requested that I ask Chula about this as some universites such as in China or Australia only allow foreigners as exchange students. I am not in the tabieen baan, nor do I have an ID card. Also, my Personal No. is empty in my passport.

If you leave before your 21st birthday you would skip the draft call up because that is the age when they send a list for men of that age to appear at the Amphoe for the draw.
If you haven't done it yet you should register at the Thai embassy in the country where you live which gives you an exemption if you are living outside the country.

I am turning 21 very soon, but I am not registered in the household register. So I didn't get anything. I didn't know I could apply for an exemption if I lived outside of Thailand. I will give it a try. Thank you very much!

Cant see how you would be risking military service and within the draft system, there must be excemptions if you are studying, therefore if you are studying they will not call you ?

I agree, I could probably get away with it. But I plan to do the same thing as samran: Wait until I am 30 years old, register for the Tabieen Baan, pay a small fine and get the military exemption. This seems to be the much easier solution, unless I can get a military exemption before 30 as mentioned above by ubonjoe.

Edited by Michael S

You can not apply for a visa using your Thai passport - not sure where you got that idea. You would have to exit, by air, and then obtain a visa in your foreign passport and return using that. But you could do it locally.

You can not apply for a visa using your Thai passport - not sure where you got that idea. You would have to exit, by air, and then obtain a visa in your foreign passport and return using that. But you could do it locally.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my reply. I meant using my EU passport. I live in Europe and I plan to apply before entering Thailand.

Just to be clear, the embassy won't give an exemption for simply living overseas. They will however organise a temporary exemption for someone already called for the draft, and who is studying full time at a tertiary institution in that country. That exemption expires when the study is complete.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my reply. I meant using my EU passport. I live in Europe and I plan to apply before entering Thailand.

Yes that would be fine and if needed you can extend your stay for only 1,900 baht with proof of Thai citizenship at immigration later - or just extend for education with school paperwork.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update in case anybody is in a similar situation. I wrote an e-mail to Chula. As expected, I didn't not receive any reply from them. (Even though the e-mail was redirected to 3 different people.) Well, I guess I will just enter with my Thai passport as suggested.

Edited by Michael S