Suvarnabhumi Ranks No 6 On World's Best Airport List

webfact

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the Thai haters are out in full force.

BKK is not my faviorate airport, but is pretty darn good. Drop off and pick up is easy, I love the Royal Silk check in, and the Thai biz and F Spa is always great as are the intl. Thai lounges, especially the F lounge...not as nice as the FCT in Frankfurt but damn good! Even the domestic Thai lounge is ok.

Rare occasion I get a bus ride from the apron is not fun but not bad and I dont mind a little exercise after getting off a long haul.

All in all it beats pretty much everything in the states.

• Like 1

Skytrax is only as reliable as the amount of 'support' you give them...

Qatar Airways the worlds best airline 2 years in a row?

As for BKK, I don't really have too many issues now a days, previously the now ridiculous setup they have when departing really grinded my gears.

Now thanks to flying TG more regularly and status within an alliance partner I can now usually bypass this...

The only issue with KP Duty Free I have, is that they don't stock the same stuff at each outlet, i.e for a particular brand of perfume that both my wife and I use. When I buy it from duty free - I always tend to arrive in the middle of the airport and then - I have to walk to the domestic transfer end in order to get the fragrance. Such are these first world problems :P

As long as the lounges aren't over crowded and the fridge is stocked, life isn't so bad...

Are we sure the list is not for 'Asia's best airports'? Either way, congrats to China's airports.

This whole report sucks...! Go and read the comments on Beijing Airport ...!! Pffffff!! Xxxx hole it is and I know because I have to fly through that airport next month with a 9 hour layover and I have googled it and read up on it... it is one of the worst airports in the world and Swampi in my opinion is still better than that from what I have read!.... What rubbish all these reports are ////

Just asking . . . so, you KNOW it is a xxxx airport because you have to use it next month . . . or are you just itching to tell us that you booked a flight which makes you stop-over for 9 hours?

Neither makes you look or sound credible, sorry. whistling.gif No offense intended

If you would have read my SHORT post properly you wouldn't be making these comments! I clearly said :" I have googled it and read up on it... it is one of the worst airports in the world"

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?region=6&country=China&city=Beijing&terminal=PEK&pagen=1

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?pagen=6&region=6&country=China&city=Beijing&terminal=PEK

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k3915480-Terminal_3_pay_lounge_at_Beijing_Airport-Beijing.html

Stepped out a plane domestic area B last week, needed a pee urgently, took first toilet on the left, around CIP area (whatever that means)

The place had 1 (ONE) urinoir, felt sorry for the guys after me, must be my prostate, I need 5 minutes for a pee.

Didn't they add two more toilets to the airport after they opened?

Hmmm, self proclaimed 6th I guess???

Edited by tartempion

Annabel,

In the same 'short' post you also claimed to 'know' that PEK is a 'xxxx' hole.. And yet you haven't been there yet... How does that even make sense?

As for your 'credible' sources.... Sleeping in Airports is hardly credible given the idea behind this website is being a guide to airports that make 'sleeping' in comfortable for passengers too tight to pay for a hotel...

• Like 2

For me airports are places i dont want to spend time, My aim on departure or arrival is to get out as fast as possible,

I dont really care how they look inside or outside but judge them on how user friendly they are, shopping duty free or otherwise does,nt enter my head likewise resteraunts,

The things that bug me about Suvarnabhumi are..

(1) unfriendly immigration,

(2) difficulty in getting too or from the airport..no shuttle bus

(3) no free wifi once i get to the departure lounge

(4) having to keep my head down and march through on arrival to avoid the scams

(5) the guys as i exit calling...you you you pattaya?

• Like 1

This whole report sucks...! Go and read the comments on Beijing Airport ...!! Pffffff!! Xxxx hole it is and I know because I have to fly through that airport next month with a 9 hour layover and I have googled it and read up on it... it is one of the worst airports in the world and Swampi in my opinion is still better than that from what I have read!.... What rubbish all these reports are ////

Just asking . . . so, you KNOW it is a xxxx airport because you have to use it next month . . . or are you just itching to tell us that you booked a flight which makes you stop-over for 9 hours?

Neither makes you look or sound credible, sorry. whistling.gif No offense intended

If you would have read my SHORT post properly you wouldn't be making these comments! I clearly said :" I have googled it and read up on it... it is one of the worst airports in the world"

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?region=6&country=China&city=Beijing&terminal=PEK&pagen=1

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?pagen=6&region=6&country=China&city=Beijing&terminal=PEK

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k3915480-Terminal_3_pay_lounge_at_Beijing_Airport-Beijing.html

Hmm, it seems I'm not the only one to share the opinion . . .

Annabel,

In the same 'short' post you also claimed to 'know' that PEK is a 'xxxx' hole.. And yet you haven't been there yet... How does that even make sense?

As for your 'credible' sources.... Sleeping in Airports is hardly credible given the idea behind this website is being a guide to airports that make 'sleeping' in comfortable for passengers too tight to pay for a hotel...

BKK is not my faviorate airport, but is pretty darn good. Drop off and pick up is easy, I love the Royal Silk check in, and the Thai biz and F Spa is always great as are the intl. Thai lounges, especially the F lounge...not as nice as the FCT in Frankfurt but damn good! Even the domestic Thai lounge is ok.

Rare occasion I get a bus ride from the apron is not fun but not bad and I dont mind a little exercise after getting off a long haul.

Ooooooooh, are we not grateful enough?

So you travel business- class and all the service there is fine?

Good for you!

Maybe try the service that "normal mortals" get at Swampy!

This being:

- endless walking 'till you get to your gates, no matter international or domestic!

- usually long hours at immigration (if you don't use Fast Track...which...by the way is not a good argument! I should get a "normally good" service, but I only get it if I pay extra!)

- ever tried domestic flights with Air Asia or Bangkok Airways? They dock at the building -often, not always...I heard, because for me personally it was ALWAYS- and then let you walk down, enter a bus, which waits in the heat until it is full and then takes you on a "around the airport"- tour!

- why is it so hard for airport authorities, to keep the scamers and Pattaya- taxis out of the arrival hall???

... I could give you more, like missing Wifi, way overprized shops etc.

And by the way: I am not hating Thais, if I hate their Airport!

• Like 2

While I personally dislike Suvarnabhumi Airport myself, I will admit that I have travelled through much worse airports.

What I don't understand is why so many long time residents here seem to hate everything about this country that they are living in. So what if Swampy is ranked 6th in the world? What does it matter? If you disagree, why must you express such disbelief? Why not just keep quiet and let it slide? Do you really have so much free time on your hand?

Definitely the most sensible post in this tread! Fully agree and I have been here since the Vietnam war, however did not participate in the war.

Are we sure the list is not for 'Asia's best airports'? Either way, congrats to China's airports.

Some posters seems to feel a need to bash anything or specially start to bash when something positive about Thailand or China is said.

don't give them any credit.

• Like 1

good for Suvarnabhumi.

and good to see how the Chinese dominate the top 5 of the world's best airport list.

haters gonna hate.

The second OP did qualify the survey. Size does matter.

If China is in the top 5 I am puzzled. They must be the most rude of all I have been to. I have been to the northern United States airports and they are really bad about being rude.

When did you last go to China? China airports say 5 years ago are different from today. Yes, they were rude at first and really did not have the soft skills. I went again 2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised that most staff could converse in basic English and I could even rate the immigration officer by pushing a button at the counter.

• Like 1

Yes, these airports are all better than the US airports in many ways. But, com'mon, guys.

The US gave us the planes / airports and have some of the oldest airports in the world.

Also, the US was not recently of the ambition to use wonderfully pretty airports to enhance the country's image or attract tourists. US needs neither. Reasons for everything, guys.

I guarantee you people will not stop visiting New York because JFK Int Airport is one of the worst in the world... Neither will those crappy US airports change much in the way of opinions educated, well-traveled people have of the US.

Cheers,

Well seeing as I am in a pedantic mood this evening

Believe the worlds first commerical airport was in Paris, and the worlds first passenger airline was german, if memory serves in 1909 ish...granted the first passenger airlines were Zeppelin's, which obvious became famous a bit later for busting in flames....biggrin.png .. and think is was an airport in the UK that had the first ATC...

Ah, yes, but it was the Wright Brothers (I know it is disputed as are many other important global inventions) who did much of the work. smile.png

Alcock and Brown, ( Sammy Davis Juniorcheesy.gif ) same.-----think they were as important

Never really cared about ratings from anyone, make my own mind up, and as a traveller from Australia and Brisbane International Airport in particular, think Suvarnabhumi is a top notch airport, so disagee with most posters here.

The only thing I dislike is the bus courier from the planes, otherwise have never ever had a problem with anything there, in fact I really like it.

Maybe its because I am a farang who can pronounce the name correctly, it took me almost a minute to learn how to do that, so I am patient.

Let's see a YouTube of you pronouncing it correctly then :D:D

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

Fully agree and I have been here since the Vietnam war, however did not participate in the war.

and pray tell what has that to do with the airport ?.

Wasn't it first muted to be built just after the Vietnam war?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

Good for you!

This being:

- endless walking 'till you get to your gates, no matter international or domestic!

- usually long hours at immigration (if you don't use Fast Track...which...by the way is not a good argument! I should get a "normally good" service, but I only get it if I pay extra!)

- ever tried domestic flights with Air Asia or Bangkok Airways? They dock at the building -often, not always...I heard, because for me personally it was ALWAYS- and then let you walk down, enter a bus, which waits in the heat until it is full and then takes you on a "around the airport"- tour!

- why is it so hard for airport authorities, to keep the scamers and Pattaya- taxis out of the arrival hall???

Well I have flown Air Asia once out of BKK, but never again after they stranded me in KL....and I had to take a proper airline back to Thailand ( Lufthansa ). Actually glad they kicked AA and the other lcc outta BKK.

But I also fly Thai economy and sometimes do not have a fast track card, immigration has never been that bad for me, but I usually leave early and arrive late.

Having Star Alliance Gold does help alot....but you seem to be complaining about silly things...no free wifi? Have a smart phone? Overpriced shops? C'mon!! And long walks oh the horror, the exercise will do you good.

Sometimes air travel sucks, but I try to keep it in perspective....you had to get on a bus and get shuttled to the terminal...thats ruff, what was it like going across the planet a 100 years ago?

• Like 1

Good for you!

This being:

Well I have flown Air Asia once out of BKK, but never again after they stranded me in KL....and I had to take a proper airline back to Thailand ( Lufthansa ). Actually glad they kicked AA and the other lcc outta BKK.

But I also fly Thai economy and sometimes do not have a fast track card, immigration has never been that bad for me, but I usually leave early and arrive late.

Having Star Alliance Gold does help alot....but you seem to be complaining about silly things...no free wifi? Have a smart phone? Overpriced shops? C'mon!! And long walks oh the horror, the exercise will do you good.

Sometimes air travel sucks, but I try to keep it in perspective....you had to get on a bus and get shuttled to the terminal...thats ruff, what was it like going across the planet a 100 years ago?

You are naming your priviledges and criticize me for naming normal inconveniences!?

Discussion ends right here!

Annabel,

I said I know based on what I read in the reviews ... What is it with you Hi So's that you can't even understand what you are reading ...??...Why don't you just read the comments of the people who posted in the reviews and then decide rather than guess as you are doing now... I read them and that was my conclusion ... and has nothing to do with being too tight/// ...but for arrogant people who can flaunt 150 usd for a 6 hour sleep or rather 4 after the trip to get to the fancy hotel and settle in I guess yes, we all sound like poor mongrels to you such great Hi So's ....

Good for you!

This being:

I just try to judge against experiences of airports like HK, Sadly Suvarnabhumi does,nt compare...infact the whole experience is less stressful,

I go in and out of Suvarnabhumi on average every 6 weeks always flying to other international airports.

Some posters seems to feel a need to bash anything or specially start to bash when something positive about Thailand or China is said.

You don't need to give any of us or me credit because it's already out there on other international medias for real people to see ... TV is not the one and only and end all of places where people post their comments about the world whether it be concerning airports, political situations, food , transportation ... name it..whatever //// There is a world of information out there that goes way beyond the opinions and facts stated on TV from all you pros... check it out ... you may be surprised at what else you can learn to help you through whatever it is you are going through in your bitter comments ....

You don't need to give any of us or me credit because it's already out there on other international medias for real people to see ... TV is not the one and only and end all of places where people post their comments about the world whether it be concerning airports, political situations, food , transportation ... name it..whatever //// There is a world of information out there that goes way beyond the opinions and facts stated on TV from all you pros... check it out ... you may be surprised at what else you can learn to help you through whatever it is you are going through in your bitter comments ....

I don't think anyone is giving you any credit annabel...

I might give you 'some' credit, if you can answer the questions that were previously put to you concerning a particular airport in China and your knowledge (or lack thereof) of said airport...

• Like 1

I didn't realize that was an airport. I thought it was a big duty free shop that happens to have a few runways.

Indeed, King Powers initial plans for their downtown store included the very same...

It was knocked back by the planning committee because of traffic concerns...

Go figure ;)

Annabel,

I said I know based on what I read in the reviews ... What is it with you Hi So's that you can't even understand what you are reading ...??...Why don't you just read the comments of the people who posted in the reviews and then decide rather than guess as you are doing now... I read them and that was my conclusion ... and has nothing to do with being too tight/// ...but for arrogant people who can flaunt 150 usd for a 6 hour sleep or rather 4 after the trip to get to the fancy hotel and settle in I guess yes, we all sound like poor mongrels to you such great Hi So's ....

So . . . everyone else is wrong and you are . . . right? rolleyes.gif

I'll try . . . Annabel, please re-read your initial post to see why you come across as anything but factual and reasonable . . . as for the rest of your rant about TV not being the only website on earth . . . rolleyes.gifblink.png

I don't think anyone is giving you any credit annabel...

I might give you 'some' credit, if you can answer the questions that were previously put to you concerning a particular airport in China and your knowledge (or lack thereof) of said airport...

You will be waiting a long time . . . and receive a rant about how the internet works instead . . . because she KNOWS

• Like 1

Hahahah hilarious! So many contradictions...

What has 6 or 4 hours got to do with it? Was it not you who claimed to have a 9 hour layover in PEK? Ever spent 9 hours in an airport before?

Having spent 12 hours in an airport myself, I can assure you it's not fun - even with the added "HiSo" perk of lounge access - I won't be in a rush to do be doing it again...

Alas, must dash... The hilarity of your post made me spray my soy decaf latte over my iPad and I must hand this one back and have it replaced post haste lest I miss another of your fabulously worldly gems.

TTFN...

Edited by GrantSmith

Hahahah hilarious! So many contradictions...

What has 6 or 4 hours got to do with it? Was it not you who claimed to have a 9 hour layover in PEK? Ever spent 9 hours in an airport before?

Having spent 12 hours in an airport myself, I can assure you it's not fun - even with the added "HiSo" perk of lounge access - I won't be in a rush to do be doing it again...

Alas, must dash... The hilarity of your post made me spray my soy decaf latte over my iPad and I must hand this one back and have it replaced post haste lest I miss another of your fabulously worldly gems.

TTFN...

Dear Grandma Smith ....Soy .. Decaf .. coffeee .... !!! OMG get a life while you are out there buying yourself another Hi So Ipad at what are they going for now ... down to 16,000 Baht for the low range ... and yes I know you can afford the top of he range and pay a lot more and be one of those boring ones sitting in WIFI FREE places streaming your beautiful pudgy fingers up and down and across the large screen to try an impress everybody around you as to how computer savvy you are ...!! Joy to the world !!... Bye ..Bue . Buyeee ... How boring you are ... Yup 9 hours translates to = clearing customs , and maybe even immigration + getting a grip on where to go and where to get some decent food and find out where you need to go to check in for your next flight ( 9 Hours away ) .... and on and on ... Have you never travelled ...??