Dogs Chasing Bikes And Cars In Maenam, Soi 2.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been thinking about this problem. We have one dog in the area that runs loose, mostly during the day (it's obviously somebody's pet). Into yards and crapping and chasing motorcycles. I've been thinking about getting one of those very loud compressed air horns for my motorcycle, the kind they use for emergency signaling from boats in the West. Also, a few weeks ago I heard a motorcycle that had a loud, high-pitched horn. A dog came after him and when the driver hit the horn, the dog took off the other way. This was in Khon Kaen (with a Thai driving), so they must be available somewhere around the country. However, I haven't been able to find out where to get them. If anybody knows about these, I'd like to hear where to get them.

Try a boat chandler. There are a few on the island. I have seen one on the ring road between Big C and the Bophut lights (inland side) somewhere. Sorry that I cannot give better instructions, but I am not nautical.

Carmine, i was just giving the OP some advice,it is only meant for the OP for the dogs in his/her soi because they have to deal with eachother everyday.

It was not meant for all bikers .

No need to insult me.

Carmine, i was just giving the OP some advice,it is only meant for the OP for the dogs in his/her soi because they have to deal with eachother everyday.

It was not meant for all bikers .

No need to insult me.

Didn't mean it as an insult, just struck me as rather funny thats all

May be i missed something, but dogs chase cars and bikes and its vicious?blink.png

Did dogs bite anyone? Not according to your post.

So you are scared? and hence dogs became vicious?

If there was a group of drunk guys, would they also be rapists?

Or if they yelled a few words in your direction, would they then be hardcore criminals?

Great postsmile.png

Tell me, do you know anyone that has had a bad accident because they were taken out by an agressive street dog that charged out at them? Obviously not.

Actually i do not, and have never seen it.

I have though seen pups being run over just for fun, i have seen idiots speeding in small sois, i have seen idiots drive fast on sois which bent, i have seen idiots overtake others on the sharp corners, i have seen cars push bikes of the roads and so on.

Dogs do not chase cars or bikes on the main roads, ONLY in small soi's.

In a small soi, anyone with half a brain, should ride slowly being aware that not only dogs could be around, but also kids running around, not to mention an idiot in a pick up flying through.

Dogs do not usually charge at the bike head on, they come out from the side and run besides the bike, so while it may be a shock, but sure is not un expected in Thailand.

I get chased by the dogs daily on every soi when i take my dogs out. I know which sois and always drive carefully being aware they may jump out from any side.

In OP's case, who lives on that soi, there is absolutely no reason to freak out or be surprised, but a simple paying attention will avoid having any accident.

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand especially the rural areas. When I lived in Phetchabun there was always a big St Bernard that loved to chase scooters, cars etc on the way to our apartment. He was always there and nobody seemed to complain about it. It was just daily routine to drive like hell when approaching him. So my advice, deal with it.

Hmmm. If I am attacked by a dog/s or perceive I have a good chance I will be attacked by a dog/s then I will kill said dog/s. The people who choose not to do so will for the most part not pass on their genes while those who do, will. We can choose to fight it but ultimately evolution is the master.

So you would apply same logic to people also right?

If you perceive someone will attack you, you will kill them first because its evolution?

Perhaps if you see a kid running towards you with a stick, you would also kill him because after all he does have a weapon

Human race has been blessed with a brain(not all but many) and brain is there to be used to assess the situation.

So just because dog barks or runs after your bike, i honestly do not see your life being in any danger, especially so when driving a car

I can never understand people who show more kindness to dogs than to humans -- especially dogs that are as public nuisance and whose owner make no attempt to control them.

It is totally rubbish to suggest that these poor little innocent pets are no threat to anyone. As a youngster I was bitten more than once by dogs that didn't like me riding a bicycle on a public street. It has also happened to countless others in my experience. Some posters seem to imply that the OP first needs to suffer a painful bite to provide evidence that these annoying dogs are a public menace. That is totally ludicrous!

Of course, I would not condone killing the dogs (unless they bit someone), but who in their right mind would condone the dogs terrorizing innocent folks on a public street. Someone needs to teach the dogs a painful lesson -- and then the onus falls on the head of the dog's owner for not controlling them.

Between human rights and canine rights, who can suggest that canine rights are a higher priority?

• Like 2

Emsaree, do you know someone who has experience with dogs and understand their show off?

Maybe you could ask such a person to share a ride on the bike with you on this soi, pass through the dogs controled area, and give you his (or her) feeelings on the risks and how to behave ?

This could lower your apprehension.

Ok, let me see if I have this right...

Next time I am threatened by a pack of nasty dogs, to be a good and kind-hearted citizen, I should go out and hire a canine-psychotherapist to analyze these dogs behavior so that I don't risk hurting the damn mutts' feelings. Should I also spend the rest of my life (and all my resources) providing psychotherapy for every angry mutt I find?

To put it as politely as possible, that's the most asinine idea I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Hmmm. If I am attacked by a dog/s or perceive I have a good chance I will be attacked by a dog/s then I will kill said dog/s. The people who choose not to do so will for the most part not pass on their genes while those who do, will. We can choose to fight it but ultimately evolution is the master.

If you perceive someone will attack you, you will kill them first because its evolution?

Perhaps if you see a kid running towards you with a stick, you would also kill him because after all he does have a weapon

Human race has been blessed with a brain(not all but many) and brain is there to be used to assess the situation.

So just because dog barks or runs after your bike, i honestly do not see your life being in any danger, especially so when driving a car

I can never understand people who show more kindness to dogs than to humans -- especially dogs that are as public nuisance and whose owner make no attempt to control them.

It is totally rubbish to suggest that these poor little innocent pets are no threat to anyone. As a youngster I was bitten more than once by dogs that didn't like me riding a bicycle on a public street. It has also happened to countless others in my experience. Some posters seem to imply that the OP first needs to suffer a painful bite to provide evidence that these annoying dogs are a public menace. That is totally ludicrous!

Of course, I would not condone killing the dogs (unless they bit someone), but who in their right mind would condone the dogs terrorizing innocent folks on a public street. Someone needs to teach the dogs a painful lesson -- and then the onus falls on the head of the dog's owner for not controlling them.

Between human rights and canine rights, who can suggest that canine rights are a higher priority?

I can never understand people who claim to be compassionate and yet have no problem advocating violence against another species, being inferior or not.

A kind person, is a kind person and it makes no difference if it comes to humans or animals

You would not condone killing a dog, unless it bites someone, but why stop at that, why not say you would never condone killing a human unless that human attacks someone?!

The difference is, dogs act on instinct and may not even realize of their actions, while humans supposedly act in full understanding and comprehending.

So what you suggesting is because OP is scared that the dogs run after him/her, those dogs are vicious and should be killed even before anything happened?

What makes you be so sure that the dogs want to do anything more than just run after the bikes and cars?

Do you go and knock someone out because they gave you a bad look? just because you think they may do something?

How about spending 100 baht for some snacks and giving it to this dogs, so you would be a friend and they will only run after you to say hello.

Proven fact, kids raised with animals are more healthier, i wonder why that is?!

Just as kids who torture animals, in many cases grow up into criminals.

• Like 1

Emsaree, do you know someone who has experience with dogs and understand their show off?

Maybe you could ask such a person to share a ride on the bike with you on this soi, pass through the dogs controled area, and give you his (or her) feeelings on the risks and how to behave ?

This could lower your apprehension.

Ok, let me see if I have this right...

Next time I am threatened by a pack of nasty dogs, to be a good and kind-hearted citizen, I should go out and hire a canine-psychotherapist to analyze these dogs behavior so that I don't risk hurting the damn mutts' feelings. Should I also spend the rest of my life (and all my resources) providing psychotherapy for every angry mutt I find?

To put it as politely as possible, that's the most asinine idea I've ever heard.

Now why would you be threatened by a pack of dogs? and why would they be nasty?

I bet you also think if you walking down the street and see a pack of dogs, they should move out of your way, because being a kind citizen, you would never think to avoid it

-> BradinAsia

Who talked about psycho ?

Just you.

It's just crazy the way you understood my post.

I just said: try to get get an advice directly from someone who is used to dogs ( maybe owns one), in real situation : in the soi, on the bike, confront these dogs.

Might help more than on a thread only.

Edited by Opl

You would not condone killing a dog, unless it bites someone, but why stop at that, why not say you would never condone killing a human unless that human attacks someone?!

Self defense?

Someone takes a swing at you with a baseball bat. Do you A. Wait until it hits you before making a choice or B. Take action ASAP.

Self defense?

Someone takes a swing at you with a baseball bat. Do you A. Wait until it hits you before making a choice or B. Take action ASAP.

Have never heard of an animal who swings baseball bats, have you?

Self defense?

Are humans not animals?

Are humans not animals?

lol, now we are getting into a different debate altogetherthumbsup.gif

Though reading some of the responses on this thread or any animal thread, i am inclined to believe some humans are by far worse than any animal i know

• Like 1

Are humans not animals?

lol, now we are getting into a different debate altogether:thumbsup:

Though reading some of the responses on this thread or any animal thread, i am inclined to believe some humans are by far worse than any animal i know

So the point still stands.

If you have reason to believe an attack is imminent do you A. Wait until the attack occurs or B. Take steps to avoid it. A strongly worded letter or making the sign of the cross should be at the bottom of your list BTW.

Are humans not animals?

lol, now we are getting into a different debate altogether:thumbsup:

So the point still stands.

If you have reason to believe an attack is imminent do you A. Wait until the attack occurs or B. Take steps to avoid it. A strongly worded letter or making the sign of the cross should be at the bottom of your list BTW.

Lets make it clear first. Where is the threat coming from? human or an animal?

If an animal, i do not find any dog to be a threat but that might be because i do not want to kill or hurt them and they know it. You do realize taking steps to avoid it, does include to walk away or look for alternatives such as leaving animals domain. Worse case scenario, is a smack with a stick, but certainly not kill it.

If a human, and the threat is verbal, usually i would ignore it, unless i am in a bad mood and have a headache. If that human is half my size, most certainly ignore it, if the human is double my size or armed i would most certainly knock him out, but it would never cross my mind to kill him.

PS. If dog growls or barks do you believe that to be a reason for imminent attack? Or if the dog runs after your bike, do you believe that the reason for running is to attack and kill you?

Edited by lemoncake

If an animal, i do not find any dog to be a threat but that might be because i do not want to kill or hurt them and they know it. You do realize taking steps to avoid it, does include to walk away or look for alternatives such as leaving animals domain. Worse case scenario, is a smack with a stick, but certainly not kill it.

I go to great lenghts to avoid it to the point where I do not go out after dark. Not sure about leaving 'their' domain when it is a public road? If I leave the road I am entering a non public domain.

Unlike most of the expats I know I have been fortunate enough to have not been bitten or mauled by a dog because I grew up with them and know how they act. I HAVE on numerous occasions been attacked or have managed to defend myself from attack, as have the expats previously mentioned but I have managed to get away with it. When people say to me that they didn't give it their all to prevent being bitten I consider them foolish. I would say that my aim IS not to kill the dog rather than to make sure I am protected which will in most cases result in the dog drawing its terminal breath.

You mentioned (sorry, I didn't copy it) that someone (human) who was twice you size you would knock out. Is this because you feel a simple slap on the face would be ineffective so you need to put them out of action? I'll have a look around on YT after I post to see if I can find someone knocking out a dog with a punch.

PS. If dog growls or barks do you believe that to be a reason for imminent attack? Or if the dog runs after your bike, do you believe that the reason for running is to attack and kill you?

You should find the answer above.

Have been bitten by a dog on Samui 3 or 4 times in ~20+ years, once during cycling and the rest while jogging, by mosquitoes 5.346 times, btw, ants 1.347, bees ~9, and once by a tiny, red centipede, and 73 times by these tiny, white fish in shallow seawater - snakes, barracudas, Mynas, buffaloes etc 0. In 2 cases Thais paid for the vaccine. So the stat. If you are jogging, dogs will come out from everywhere, chasing and barking at you. Ignoring that and they are at your legs. You have to stop and slowly walk on, maybe acting to pick up a stone or something.

• Like 1

I can never understand people who claim to be compassionate and yet have no problem advocating violence against another species, being inferior or not.

A kind person, is a kind person and it makes no difference if it comes to humans or animals

The difference is, dogs act on instinct and may not even realize of their actions, while humans supposedly act in full understanding and comprehending.

So what you suggesting is because OP is scared that the dogs run after him/her, those dogs are vicious and should be killed even before anything happened?

What makes you be so sure that the dogs want to do anything more than just run after the bikes and cars?

Do you go and knock someone out because they gave you a bad look? just because you think they may do something?

How about spending 100 baht for some snacks and giving it to this dogs, so you would be a friend and they will only run after you to say hello.

Proven fact, kids raised with animals are more healthier, i wonder why that is?!

Just as kids who torture animals, in many cases grow up into criminals.

Maybe you should learn to read. You missed the mark on nearly every point.

ants? that's average 5 times per month. Too much? if you are living in the middle of a lush, wild, tropical vegetation?

Easily done - especially if you have a mango tree in your garden.

Those nasty big red bugggers seem to love living in them.

I go to great lenghts to avoid it to the point where I do not go out after dark. Not sure about leaving 'their' domain when it is a public road? If I leave the road I am entering a non public domain.

Unlike most of the expats I know I have been fortunate enough to have not been bitten or mauled by a dog because I grew up with them and know how they act. I HAVE on numerous occasions been attacked or have managed to defend myself from attack, as have the expats previously mentioned but I have managed to get away with it. When people say to me that they didn't give it their all to prevent being bitten I consider them foolish. I would say that my aim IS not to kill the dog rather than to make sure I am protected which will in most cases result in the dog drawing its terminal breath.

You mentioned (sorry, I didn't copy it) that someone (human) who was twice you size you would knock out. Is this because you feel a simple slap on the face would be ineffective so you need to put them out of action? I'll have a look around on YT after I post to see if I can find someone knocking out a dog with a punch.

>PS. If dog growls or barks do you believe that to be a reason for imminent attack? Or if the dog runs after your bike, do you believe that the reason for running is to attack and kill you?

You should find the answer above.

I am sorry but its a really silly response.

For starters, a vicious dog is a vicious dog, so it really does not make any difference day time or night time.

If you see a pack of dogs in one spot or even just 1 dog, it is not wise to walk right under their's or his nose, but need to respect his space.

Just as you would not like someone walk straight pass you at a close proximity.

Secondly, walking around with a stick as some have indicated they do, is also asking for trouble, because if dog sees you as a threat, naturally it will defend itself and the more you swing or scream like a little girl the more it is an invitation to a dog to pursue you.

Now you asked me what i would do if i see a threat, and i gave you 2 scenarios, 1 relating to an animal and one relating to a human.

As i have said already, humans, well some have been blessed with brain and ability to think and analyze, while dogs simply act on instinct and past experience.

I have lived here for way over 10 years, live in Thai area, very populated with soi dogs, i also own dogs and take them out daily, actually twice per day, driving through many sois with soi dogs and going to the park with even more soi dogs.

Yes some soi dogs chase the bike, BUT i have never been bitten by any of them, walking, riding, jogging or any other means. The only times i have been bitten is when i broke up a fight between my dog and a soi dog, by my neighbor puppy when i was training it and my own dog, when 2 bitches decided to have a go at it for alpha female.

Pitbul and Bankeaw cross, believe it or not but was bitten by Bankeaw cross and was an accident, she wanted to bite the pitbul, but i turned and (do not laugh) but she bite my ass, hurt for weeks.

Yes as some have mentioned, some soi dogs do not like joggers, and as this person pointed out, it is wise to stop running and perhaps even more wise to have some treats to make friends with them, so on your next run they will be very happy to see you.

Erm...no. Friend was chased by a dog on the Ring road just a couple of nights ago. It won't do it again.

Never let a dog think he is the boss of you. But I can understand for many it is difficult to hide their fear.

May be i missed something, but dogs chase cars and bikes and its vicious?blink.png

Or if they yelled a few words in your direction, would they then be hardcore criminals?

Great postsmile.png

Tell me, do you know anyone that has had a bad accident because they were taken out by an agressive street dog that charged out at them? Obviously not.

I have though seen pups being run over just for fun, i have seen idiots speeding in small sois, i have seen idiots drive fast on sois which bent, i have seen idiots overtake others on the sharp corners, i have seen cars push bikes of the roads and so on.

In a small soi, anyone with half a brain, should ride slowly being aware that not only dogs could be around, but also kids running around, not to mention an idiot in a pick up flying through.

Dogs do not usually charge at the bike head on, they come out from the side and run besides the bike, so while it may be a shock, but sure is not un expected in Thailand.

I get chased by the dogs daily on every soi when i take my dogs out. I know which sois and always drive carefully being aware they may jump out from any side.

In OP's case, who lives on that soi, there is absolutely no reason to freak out or be surprised, but a simple paying attention will avoid having any accident.

Erm...no. Friend was chased by a dog on the Ring road just a couple of nights ago. It won't do it again.

Never let a dog think he is the boss of you. But I can understand for many it is difficult to hide their fear.

Great postsmile.png

You just proved my point. Main roads, they get hit and killed.

The fear of what might be- could be- would be is useless but does create unwanted problems.

Dog bites do hurt but not to a point of being unbearable.

The shoulder injections from unqualified medical officers hurt by far much worse, especially if they shove it in deep enough to hit the bone using the wrong needle :)