Any Suggestions For A Good Pc Based Strategy Game?

MunterHunter

Any suggestions for a good PC based Strategy game? Simcity5 was a huge let down, Crusader Kings2 you need to do a MBA before you know how to play it, I've played Civ5 to death already... anyone have any other suggestions?

New or old, doesn't matter as long as its a good, fun, enjoyable game

Another vote for Starcraft 2.

EA are also re-re-re-releasing Command and Conquer as a free to play title shortly so that may be worth looking in to as well.

Edited by ianwuk

Any suggestions for a good PC based Strategy game? Simcity5 was a huge let down, Crusader Kings2 you need to do a MBA before you know how to play it, I've played Civ5 to death already... anyone have any other suggestions?New or old, doesn't matter as long as its a good, fun, enjoyable game

Endless space on steam. Reminds me of Masters of Orion.

Can you tell us whats so bad about the new Sim City? I was thinking of getting it

From what I have read the AI is not so hot for the cars and people in the city. Constant connection to the internet upsets many and the area size in which to build your city is not big enough so you constantly have to rearrange it all.

I have not played it though. I may try it out when it finally reaches the Mac soon.

The AI is dire... the land plots are woefully too small (try getting a good working city of more than 250,000 residents!) no offline mode, the server stability was really bad (meaning you couldn't play!) I like the online idea, play 'regions' with friends, but i think they should have made an offline mode.

Basically its a step down from SimCity4

I had such high hopes for this game, but it was a total let-down

wow, such a shame. I remember pre-launch there was some marketing blurb from EA and one of the developers was talking about what this scaled down version was better and I was thinking he was nuts.

Yeah Ive heard of Dwarf Fortress, it looks pretty hardcore lol

• 2 weeks later...

Taking this topic in a slightly different direction (apologies) an old 8 bit strategy game that some might remember - Lords of Midnight - has been converted to the iPad and android and PC and mac versions are in the works

• 1 month later...

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is good, it's like Civ 5 with a Fantasy type theme (Orcs etc..). Also Company Of Heroes 2 has a free open Beta at the moment on Steam, that's also a very good game.

Company of Heroes, anything from the Total War series, Wargame: Air Land Battle, Panzer Korps Afrika, Rome 2 (coming September), Defcon: Everybody Dies, stuff from Shrapnel Games.

And for something completely different (and maybe the most interesting thing you'll ever play?):

Spy Party

Where essentially you must behave like the AI do, complete spy related tasks and fool another human player into thinking your character is AI controlled not human controlled.

Very interesting concept and great fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Age Of Empires. Red Alert (don't know why anyone didn't mention this). Diablo 2. I know it's RPG but still a great classic. Roller coaster Tycoon is awesome! It's non-stop fun and will keep you entertained for a few weeks at least. If you wonder why a girl like me plays games? Well the answer is simple - I grew up in a home with 3 Asian brothers who were, and 1 still is a hardcore gamer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

all of the above and Galactic Civlizations II. I stumbled on it a few months ago. Big fun. Take over the universe one turn at a time. smile.png

I'm too old and slow to play shooters with twitchy youths these days, but I love the turn based strat games the most.

I can't count the number of games I've owned over the decades, but sim city was never one of them.

Edited by itsadryheat

all of the above and Galactic Civlizations II. I stumbled on it a few months ago. Big fun. Take over the universe one turn at a time. smile.png

I'm too old and slow to play shooters with twitchy youths these days, but I love the turn based strat games the most.

I can't count the number of games I've owned over the decades, but sim city was never one of them.

Never played Galactic civ 2,but the games is known for "the best AI ever in games".,Is that true?

Never played Galactic civ 2,but the games is known for "the best AI ever in games".,Is that true?

I have no idea about it being the best. it's a lot of fun though and very tough at anything past average difficulty.

It's a different strategy than playing the land based war games like civ or total war.

For $20 it's a good deal. Many hours of gameplay to waste the day away.

• 2 weeks later...

Age of Empires 2 HD not so much for the story but its really good for multiplayer there is also Age of Empires onlone

Starcraft 2 Esport players wetdream Zergggggggg

Dota 2 strategic rpg and any of its clones you might like

oldschool strategy Imperialism 2 but i dont think theres much support for it

• 4 weeks later...