Mornington Crescent 2013

As I expect many of you have done this month, I woke up this morning to my new Gardner/Roberts (Winston Preface) Mornington Crescent Rulebook, Hardback Edition. Freshly delivered from Piccadilly. God & Queen bless DHL. My thoughts go out to any of you naive enough to use Fedex, who we all know have a penchant for any parcel resembling the unique form and weight of this most sought after tome.

So, I suggest we all give it a try with a first playthrough, and see what new variations may have been approved from the Christmas Frinchkins Committee meeting (I heard no less than 2 members were voted out under the '76 convention objections rulings- controversial start to the season)

As those who have played with me before know, Nidd inversions are fully acceptable.

To begin:

Holland Park.

Well, I suppose I am a fast reader and many of you will still be working through the weeks of rules revisions. I notice that Thatcher maneuvering is now illegal in all pre-Iraq war invasion rulings. Other notable changes:

- Any attempt at reverse-ruffing is now a technical breach of etiquette

- Multiple infractions of the third umpire rule now result in instant Nidd

- Roadworks can only be claimed once per round to the benefit of the claimant

- Big Brother Amendment rules must now be observed at any interchanging station regardless of the year of the rules in trump during that play.

And many more.. which ones have intrigued you during your first read-through?

Nice try to get one up, but we all know that rules are only revised every leap year.

Woops, sorry Will, I forgot the 'summation to six' exception clause introduced in 2004.

Sir, with respect, you are in error. Annual revisions are the norm and have been so since MC was instrumental in our victory in the Falklands War. The Falklands Landed Commemorative Rules Edition is still the most treasured and original "first" of the annual revisions hardback series by Gardner & Roberts.

Do I take it you have not played the modern game under post 1982 revisions rules?

I admit I had to look up the "summation to six" exception clause but it turns out this is applicable only to those small, hardy MC rebels who refused to accept that a single year was cause enough for an entire revision bookset. I suppose you must be "oldschool" - and probably have a thing or two to teach me! So, with no small amount of caution:

Smithkin skip to: East Acton

Edited by OxfordWill

Good show Totster. I have fond memories of our last foray into the wilds of Mornington Crescent. With caution in mind until SantiSuk shows his hand, and bearing in mind no Arabian moves below the Thames:

Perivale, (I am now in ruffing but I declare fitness for purpose under section 14b note iv)

I'm just getting to grips with the first Kindle version (I kid you not) as I traverse the wilds of Eastern Scotland by Old Speckled Hen.

Obviously on that salutacious camratic note...Leyton.

I have a bye under Section 24.3 from last year I believe. Santi should be able to confirm.

• Like 1