Crime In Cm

expatsupreme

How bad is it, I always read horror stories from pattaya, but not so much from CM??

Are many houses robbed, burglarized? Because in pattaya I would say at least 30 % of houses have been robbed.

How safe is living here and I guess the properties are much cheaper than in pattaya and BKK right?

At best you're going to get some anecdotes with a question like this on a forum like this. Anecdotes either of someone having stuff stolen all the time, and then others who lived here XX years and never had as much as incorrect change at 7-11.

Next people will debate the differences of living in a codo/apartment vs a house, and then the difference between a commercial development home or a home anywhere.

At the end of it all you won't be much wiser.

My own opinion is that CM won't compare unfavorably to any other place you could reasonably compare it to, within Thailand or anywhere else.

Next people will debate the differences of living in a codo/apartment vs a house, and then the difference between a commercial development home or a home anywhere.

Codo? Is that like an apartment for fish? giggle.gif

Op, I'd avoid CM, it's mayhem here, and another whitey will only exacerbate things. tongue.png

"Op, I'd avoid CM, it's mayhem here, and another whitey will only exacerbate things. tongue.png "

--

"Crime in Chiang Mai? Totally out of hand! If you visit next weekend you'll find mobs in the streets assaulting strangers and friends in broad daylight. The police will do nothing to stop it, and may participate."

Have you guys considered writing comedy for a living? Don't.

Edited by amexpat

At best you're going to get some anecdotes with a question like this on a forum like this. Anecdotes either of someone having stuff stolen all the time, and then others who lived here XX years and never had as much as incorrect change at 7-11.

My own opinion is that CM won't compare unfavorably to any other place you could reasonably compare it to, within Thailand or anywhere else.

This was the best answer so far. I would add that you are safe in most places in and around Chiang Mai but after midnight like any other large city in the World what bad elements that are here come out to make problems. A normal good family man that doesn't play around getting drunk and wondering around late has very little to fear here.

• Like 1

BarnicaleBob, on 06 Apr 2013 - 16:15, said:

WinnieTheKhwai, on 06 Apr 2013 - 11:05, said:

This was the best answer so far. I would add that you are safe in most places in and around Chiang Mai but after midnight like any other large city in the World what bad elements that are here come out to make problems. A normal good family man that doesn't play around getting drunk and wondering around late has very little to fear here.
no proplem for cinderella then,

Someone have complained that Song Taew bus charge him 20 bath instead of 7-8 bath for the whole trip.

I think the city raised the minimum to 17 baht. That was several years ago.

7 or 8 baht is a good price per trip if you buy a bicycle and take lots of trips. You can probably get the price per trip down lower than that if you keep the tires properly inflated.

I doubt you are going to hear any real horror stories that are not rarities - we have the odd murder, like anywhere else (what is it 2 years since the farang guy was murdered by the three Shan guys in Hang Dong??? - a year ago since that guy who was stabbed with his own kitchen knife while trying to stop a thief during the day that was in his house??? - famous because of their rarity).

Trying to get you deposit back after renting a house will probably be the biggest crime that affects you here - never got one back in 4 rented homes here! Like anywhere else, go looking for trouble and you'll probably find it, but on the whole I find it a lot safer here that I did walking down the high street at home at night (from yob at least - maybe not so much from drunken drivers!).

Even the BiBs seem less inclined to collect tea money at every turn up here. Though bar/café owners get hit from time to time by the fake music license scammers (with en-tow ranking BiB from a certain police station just south of the city with HD as its initials) - though I hear the expose in CityLife has caused some repercussions on them.

I found someone had been stealing from my kitchen unfortunately.

There are some real whisk takers out there so beware!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry off track, I'm just curious.

Is this line something you add and if so why?

• Like 2

I found someone had been stealing from my kitchen unfortunately.

There are some real whisk takers out there so beware!

Sorry off track, I'm just curious.

Is this line something you add and if so why?

No, the App automatically adds it - sometimes smart ()() add it too for a joke

• Like 1

You can turn that line off, of course.

Although sometimes it's funny, as in:

Some right tight <deleted> here.

Here it underscores the earlier statement. If he was throwing money around he'd be posting from an iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy Note.. smile.png

Anyway I tried the app briefly but don't like it: one of the system permissions it claims it needs is to start at boot. For my phone if I allow something to start at boot it better be something damned essential.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Jinxes!

Just got robbed an hour ago. Popped over the road to 7-11 - teenage kids were in doors up stairs. When I got back someone had snuck in downstairs and stolen my girl's IPad2, Bold Blackberry and laptop (all in 5 minutes).

Called True to block the phone/suspend the number and data account - and set Bb Protect and ICloud Find My IPhone to locate and lock the devices as soon as they pick up wifi. Spent last hours resetting passwords for everything on the devices.

Really pissed now - first crime I have ever had against me here - sick to my stomach and would happily gut the bastard.